NVIDEA Clipping Bug and Radeon Target Ring Bug Fix!

Sabraaz

Dalayan Beginner
If you are like me, you may have noticed that the 3D Targeting Ring doesn't work for you and you recall it working on live or other EQEMU's you've played on. After doing some research, it appears to be a bug with the client files that SoD uses and was fixed in later versions. Obviously it being fixed in later versions doesn't help us as our EQEMU files are coded for this client and won't work on later versions. So if we just loaded a newer version of the client, the game wouldn't work.

The bug is that the eqmain or whatever file doesn't detect that the video card is DX7 or 8+ capable and uses older libraries to make the game work. This causes the client to force software rendering instead of the TnL which works much better. There is a work around for this that I tested and seems to work on my laptop and desktop.

You will need to download 3D Analyzer at http://www.tommti-systems.com/start.html it's found in the file section. Install it into the folder of your choice (for me it defaulted to my browser's folder which I changed to 3Danalyzer instead) and browse to the locate you installed it in. You can right click the exe file and send to desktop (shortcut) for easy access in the future.

Next we will need to create a batch file (.bat) that will have our eqgame run command in it. You can start notepad (start, run, notepad for XP) (start, notepad for Vista/Win7) and inside it type 'you sod folder patch'\eqgame patchme. For me this is c:\sod\eqgame patchme. You will save the file to your SoD folder by going to file, save as, browse to the folder, type in your file name (I called mine starteq.bat) select all files from the drop down box (so it doesn't save the file as starteq.bat.txt) and hit save.

Next you will start the 3D Analyzer program (if you are using Vista or Windows 7, I would run it as administrator just in case) and it will ask you to select an file, you will do that and browse to the SoD folder, you will need to hit the drop down box and select 'batch files' so you will see the file you created. Once you've selected the file, you will need to enter in the Vendor and Device ID information that matches your video card the closest. For my FX6000 series card, this was the FX5900, for my laptop it was the Radeon 8500. The ID information is to the right of the boxes in which you enter them in.

Enter in the information into the boxes and click the run button. It will launch the client for you and will ask you to select your options the first time you do this since it detects a different video card. Login the game and enjoy the 3D Targeting Ring.

*Note* You will need to run the SoD Patcher when they patch the game to keep your files current as this will not do it.

*Note* This does not work with EQW so you will not be able to use it with that.

I hope this mod works for you and I hope to figure out a way to make it work with EQW.

Last edited:
This program can be used to remove the Nvidia graphics bug as well!
Also can make the bat file start the sod patcher (however you have to unclick eqw, since for some reason it wont work with eqw)...

ie make a bat file that contains path to your sodpatcher (c:\sodpatcher\sodpatcher.exe) or whatever your path is...

NOTE THAT THE .bat FILE MUST BE PLACED IN YOUR ********* GAME DIRECTORY.

start the 3d-analyze software. select the bat file.. dont enter a vendorid or devideid LET THESE BE 0 (your gfx cards hardware id's).

Among the settings for the software: put a mark in all the hardware limits checkboxes
(ie. emulate HW TnL caps, other DX8.1caps, pixer shader caps, bump map caps, max. sim. textures)

(most likely just 1 or 2 of these are needed but I havent bothered checking which yet)

Press RUN... play as usual with no gfx bugs whatsoever.. however, without eqw.

BTW.. I suggest making this post STICKIED!

When I try to run the .bat file out of 3Danalyze, it brings up a dos window and closes it and nothing happens. When i hit Save bat file it puts some other garbage in the bat file and opens 3Danalyze again. I put in my directory correctly and saved the bat file in that directory as well, and still am not getting EQ to start. Hoping this will fix skins not loading in first person view, and skins disappearing and reappearing in third person.

When I try to run the .bat file out of 3Danalyze, it brings up a dos window and closes it and nothing happens. When i hit Save bat file it puts some other garbage in the bat file and opens 3Danalyze again. I put in my directory correctly and saved the bat file in that directory as well, and still am not getting EQ to start. Hoping this will fix skins not loading in first person view, and skins disappearing and reappearing in third person.

Make sure your .bat file is in the EQ directory.

If it is in the eq directory, you should be able to double click it to open it and thus to test it before moving on.

If it still doesn't open, or it blinks then closes, you may have to truncate your entry. For example, on my OS I have to type:

D:\Progra~1\****\EverQu~1\eqgame patchme

Also can make the bat file start the sod patcher (however you have to unclick eqw, since for some reason it wont work with eqw)...

ie make a bat file that contains path to your sodpatcher (c:\sodpatcher\sodpatcher.exe) or whatever your path is...

start the 3d-analyze software. select the bat file.. dont enter a vendorid or devideid LET THESE BE 0 (your gfx cards hardware id's).

Among the settings for the software: put a mark in all the hardware limits checkboxes
(ie. emulate HW TnL caps, other DX8.1caps, pixer shader caps, bump map caps, max. sim. textures)

(most likely just 1 or 2 of these are needed but I havent bothered checking which yet)

After getting a new EVGA GTX 260 video card 3 or 4 months ago I have been suffering with the Nvidia Graphics glitch and I really wish I had seen this thread earlier.

I have no idea why this fix isn't better known, cured the problem 100%.

No more massive texture planes stretching into infinity. So awesome. :haw:

Was trying this out on Windows 7 64-bit, but it gives me an error about being unable to inject the process. Any ideas?

Stickied.

What helped me get my target rings and nvidia bug to go away was switching to a Mac and running SoD via crossover games.

I'm glad this information helped everybody. I always wondered why something that seemed to work so nicely wasn't noticed right away when I posted it. I'm glad it was finally discovered so it can be of use to people.

Using this fix for my ATI 4850. I just used the code to tell it I have an ATI 9800 and target circle works fine.

Can someone please post a screenshot with the 3D target ring? I have a target ring, but I wouldn't call it "3-D". I want to make sure I'm not missing something! hehe

Was able to get target ring finally! But this process did something, now the game is very dark even though gamma is at full. Alot of the text I can't even read it's so dark.... Trying to fix it now.

Ok now I got the brightness up some, but the rings are gone again...

Let me understand this, after I've hopefully successfully gone through the process 1 time, I then start the game with this .bat file except when I need to run the patcher? I shouldn't have to run the 3danalyzer again?

I went through the process a 2nd time, and again it's back to rings, and very dark.... I have to alt-tab out and turn my desktop graphics setting full up brightness (and this is during SoD day, no idea if it'll be workable during night)

Last edited:
Was able to get target ring finally! But this process did something, now the game is very dark even though gamma is at full. Alot of the text I can't even read it's so dark.... Trying to fix it now.

Ok now I got the brightness up some, but the rings are gone again...

Try running the game in fullscreen, or adjust your desktop gama.

Try running the game in fullscreen, or adjust your desktop gama.

Thats what I've had to do, adjust the desktop gamma, and brightness

So now I back to no rings, and very dark - and sound gone too... K I give up

Last edited:

After following this line of information I am still having problems. I have a Nvidia Geforce 9400 gt card. maybe I di have to put in the device/driver ID's?

Back
Top Bottom