Cold Dmg on earring

CaptHappy

Dalayan Beginner
Hi, I came across an earring with cold dmg on it and i've been away from the game for a while, what does dmg on non-weapon slots do?

Adds to spell damage that is cold based.

Are there only certain slots that do this? I always thought that elemental damage on gloves only worked for bare hands and had nothing to do with spells, same with elemental damage on boots only working for kicks.

If I recall correctly, this was a recent change in order to allow for further progression and diversity with the casting classes.

so on a DoT, does the elemental damage get a chance to be applied every tick, or just at the beginning?

With all extra being put on the last tick.

For example if you were a necro who had +35 fire damage and cast Marlow's Cremation (6 tick fire DoT), each tick would tick for an additional 5 damage, except for the last one which would tick for an additional 11 damage. At 36 everything would tick for 6 damage instead.

While not exactly a perfect solution, it was mathematically the easiest to implement.

Does this work with bard songs as well (Dots, and DD)?
I honestly don't remember, but assume its a no unless they use mana.

Is elemental damage calculated before or after affliction enhancement / damage increment / bane enhancement?
Its the last thing done before crit is calculated. +5 fire damage is ALWAYS a 5 point bonus unless your spell crits, then its 10. Nothing else increases elemental damage. Not tomes, specialization, focus effects. Nada.

Ah okay. Had contemplated investing in some elemental modifiers for the necro but if it's spread out over ticks and not impacted by anything but crits, it's not worth it to me just yet. Thanks.

Does this still work the same way as it used to on weapons? Meaning that a 11/16 weapon with +2 Poison becomes a 13/16 weapon against mobs weak to Poison?

Somewhat.

Elemental Damage only affects the weapon its on.

So lets say you are duel wielding a Blade of the Silenced (14/24 + 1 poison) and a Mace of Warped Brutality (20/26 + 1 poison). Total you have +2 poison damage, but each weapon only counts its own poison damage on itself. Thus the Blade is 15/24 and the Mace is 21/26 when the poison damage isn't resisted. But if you cast a poison spell, it would gain the +2 benefit from both weapons.

Now to hopefully dismiss some long standing misunderstandings concerning elemental damage and weapons, lets take the Scimitar of Chaotic Flame as the +3 fire will give easier to understand numbers. Numbers used are confirmed, and parsed a long time ago by Zaela.

Elemental damage is all or nothing on weapons. So on every swing, the Scimitar will either be 14/20 or 17/20 depending on if it makes the resist check. What does that mean for weapon comparisons?

An enemy with a FR of 100, would get the 17/20 about 66% of the time and the 14/20 33%.

Or if looked at from a slightly different angle, 66% of the time you'd get the full +3 fire damage. 33% of the time you'd get +0 fire damage.

Thus, on average, the +3 fire damage is worth 1.98 damage on the 100 FR mob (66% of 3).

While +3 fire dmg isn't literally turned into 1.98, you can short hand your expected damage of the Scimitar to 15.98/20. Thus over a reasonable period of time, the Scimitar and a 16/20 weapon would do fairly equivalent damage on a 100 FR mob.

The next relevant question is, how common is it for a mob to have more or less than 100 resist? Outside of raids, unless the mob is immune, you are looking at less than, most all the time. In raids it starts out notably higher, but depending on the resist can be debuffed in short order to ALOT lower. Assuming your raid isn't lazy, you are generally doing more damage with an elemental weapon in a raid, then with an elemental weapon in a group or solo.

There are a few other factors I'm not mentioning here, and I won't give you some crazy table showing odds of resist per resist level at a 5 level range either way (we do have that by the way). But I've said it once, and I'll say it again, +elemental damage on weapons is highly under-rated by the community.

EDIT:
Silly me I forgot the very reason I started typing all that out. Worn Elemental Damage does NOT affect anything weapon related EXCEPT monk and bst fists. So wearing +2 poison gloves wouldn't help your Mace of Brutality, but WOULD help you punching something or casting poison related spells.

Thank you vey much Cyzaine. This is very clear and easy to understand. Much appreciated sir.

I'm no going to point out any examples offhand for this comment, but the elemental damage change / addition thats been going on lately is far better thought out and implemented than some other things. I really really like it, even though I've seen no benefit from it personally.

Also, thanks for saying elemental damage is largely underrated, as a community in the past we've been hard pressed to receive any even mildly definitive answers, and I think you're statements there Cyzaine make things a lot easier in a lot of people minds. Thanks very much.

Back
Top Bottom