Any word yet on necro replacement AA?

Some suggestions I'd like to see. Not all of them but one or some might be cool. In no particular order

1. Zae's new pet. A smart caster pet would be awesome. It needs to have some decent spells tho. Maybe have the new pet as a replacement for the Runic 1 spell Heirophant's Breath. Without Insidious infection it costs way too much mana for unimpressive damage. I still hit that bitch every time but idk it just seems like a bit of a waste. What I really like about this Idea is that Zae seemed excited about it which can only be a good thing if the staff members get excited about creating new things.

2. Beefing up Runic 1 dmg a bit or reducing the mana cost.

3. Burst Lich (Velleity)

4. More casting speed increase AA's.

5. Mana Battery. A dot in the form of a spell or AA that does 200dmg? per tick and returns the same amount of mana to the group. 6tick duration? twice as long cool down so you can't spam that shit but it's still useable once a pull in an xp group and two maybe 3 times depending on boss fight.

Surprised to see caster pet mentioned since it's really just a rehash of an idea rejected by mages (fire pet = nuker ai). But since there are apparently other threads about FC replacement now I don't mind taking over this one for the caster pet thing.

I've started work on a little caster AI just cuz and in the course of thinking about it it occurred to me that a lot of the things I was thinking about automating are best left in the player's control. CC sensitivity is the main one: rather than making the pet keep track of everything around and decide for itself whether CC is likely to happen on a target, I decided to just make the pet refuse to cast on anything before its owner tells it to attack, and to make it only cast spells on its primary target. So in other words, if something runs up and bops you at the beginning of a pull, the caster pet would just sit and watch until the moment you hit Pet Attack, rather than immediately thinking about casting a DoT on the thing that hit its master.

I'm thinking that the Pet's manapool and mana regen will scale with it's owner's, including FT and whatnot. Also will probably add mana regen and maybe some other casterly things to Ancient: Gift of Unlife. And the pet will benefit from the owner's focus effects including Mana Conservation and Casting Speed Increment, provided they have the Shared Power AA.

With most considerations left up to the Necro, the AI itself would be pretty simple. It will automatically sit to med when you let it stay still outside of combat, automatically getting up to follow you when you move and plopping back down whenever it gets the chance; it'll jump back up and inform the owner when its mana is full as well. /pet report will show its current mana ratio also.

As for combat, if the Necro has Minion Skills AA at rank 3, the pet will have 3 casting modes which the owner will be able to switch between on the fly by changing their current stance. Details here are subject to change.

Aggressive mode:
In aggressive mode the pet will do all that it can to maintain its DoT rotation, casting any DoT that will be at least 25% effective after resists. If it sees one of its DoTs is about to fade (1 tick remaining) and has nothing more important to cast in the meantime it will start to pre-cast the fading DoT. The pet will not consider using direct lifetaps to maintain its health in this mode, although a lifetap DoT is part of its DoT rotation. It will not attempt to conserve its mana in this mode either.

Normal mode:
If you don't have Minion Skills at rank 3, this will be the only available mode. In this mode it will make some attempt at keeping its health up and conserving its mana when it gets low. If the pet's HP is below 75% OR its target is in melee range and targetting the pet itself (i.e. attacking it) it will prioritize its direct lifetap spell. Otherwise, it will cast DoTs that will be at least 50% effective after resists. As its mana gets lower it will cease casting its less effective DoTs. If none of its DoTs will be at least 50% effective against its targets and it has no DoTs running, it will cast the one DoT it considers to be most effective.

Defensive mode:
Defensive mode is much like normal mode, but with more emphasis on maintaining health and conserving mana. If the pet's HP is below 50% it will prioritize a quick lifetap (Deflux). Otherwise, if its HP is below 90% or it thinks it's being attacked, it will prioritize its normal direct lifetap. Otherwise, if its HP is below 98% it will prioritize its lifetap DoT. If none of those things occur, it will cast any DoTs that will be at least 50% effective after resists, as above. However, its worst DoTs will be filtered out more quickly than in Normal mode to conserve mana. Lastly, if its HP drops below 75% and the pet is in the middle of casting something that isn't a lifetap or lifetap DoT, it will interrupts its own casting to start casting a lifetap asap.

Furthermore, the Necro will be able to interrupt its pet's casting at any time with Pet Back Off.

The exact spell lineup will need to be balanced and whatnot (and something might need to be done to make up for the lack of scaling compared to melee pets with haste and weapons) but at the moment I'm seeing it as a level 60 Necro with these spells:

Funeral Pyre of Malath (highest priority DoT)
Envenomed Bolt (second highest priority)
Vexing Mordina (middle priority except in aggressive mode)
Splurt (second lowest priority; middle priority in aggressive mode)
Plague (lowest priority)
Ancient: Lifebane
Deflux (defensive mode only)

No spells with secondary effects that might cause problems (snare, undead nuke with destroy target, stat taps, debuffs).

I'll probably make them able to proc wrist procs to give them something to make up for lack of weapon procs. And I guess just to make that explicit: the pet will not melee and will not run up to its targets unless they are out of range or out of line of sight.

Cue disappointments.

Oh one last thing, in looking up Minion Skills AA I found out that it hasn't been doing what the AA says at all in years if ever, so Necro melee pets will be getting a small corrective buff in the near future as well.

Now that I think of it giving some way to toggle the pet between pure caster mode and pure melee mode might be a good idea, so you won't have to summon a new pet whenever melee is better than casting or your pet goes oom in a long fight... although that would probably need a new command which would be less good.

edit: on third thought that could easily create a situation where letting the pet cast a couple dots and then sending it off to melee and repeating whenever the dots wear off is the most efficient way to use the pet, which would be annoying and against the spirit of the thing. Maybe I'll just give it a 5-mana nuke for when it gets low...

Last edited:
though i do not play a necro i have to admit the pet ideas sound cool. curious what the necros think of course. but still i think its an interesting concept to be explored.

I love the idea and i would certainly use it. there's a lot of scenarios where i don't use a melee pet because it'll get smoked by tight aoe's or melee monster problems. I'd much prefer the 5 mana nuke to the melee just because it sets the pet apart 100% of the time.

I also like that it would benefit from the same sorts of upgrades you would want anyway with minion skills. It would also be substantially more useful in touchy solo-root rot or fear kiting scenarios because it would be far enough back (even if it's nuke broke root) to re-root without disintegrating.

and something might need to be done to make up for the lack of scaling compared to melee pets with haste and weapons
Could make them treat masters compenion strength focus as affliction enhancement for their dots. Or add some focus effects to pet gear, wich might be a problem with all those other nuking/dotting pets out there. Or they could generally benefit from their masters focus effects (Afflicrion Enhancement, Elementa Foci).

Now that I think of it giving some way to toggle the pet between pure caster mode and pure melee mode might be a good idea, so you won't have to summon a new pet whenever melee is better than casting or your pet goes oom in a long fight... although that would probably need a new command which would be less good.

edit: on third thought that could easily create a situation where letting the pet cast a couple dots and then sending it off to melee and repeating whenever the dots wear off is the most efficient way to use the pet, which would be annoying and against the spirit of the thing. Maybe I'll just give it a 5-mana nuke for when it gets low...

If just Necros had an unused activated AA that could be toggeled into a pet switch, with say a 15 min timer on it...

Could make them treat masters compenion strength focus as affliction enhancement for their dots. Or add some focus effects to pet gear, wich might be a problem with all those other nuking/dotting pets out there. Or they could generally benefit from their masters focus effects (Afflicrion Enhancement, Elementa Foci).

They will benefit from their master's focuses via Shared Power AA, but some of the other things might be good in addition.

If just Necros had an unused activated AA that could be toggeled into a pet switch, with say a 15 min timer on it...

Thinking about it even more I'd probably just let them switch between caster mode and melee mode out of combat only.

Really great ideas.

In another thread, Zaela posted an idea for the AA of a single target buff that let the bufee receive all the lifetap healing the necro used. This would make necros add some decent single target healing, but above all

would catapult them into being excellent duo partners. Its a bit tiring that far and away the best duos are melee/healer. I'd like to see some steps in this game to make other interesting duo possibilities viable.

That idea of Zaela's would add some really interesting possibilites to necros as a duoist, as well as give them some more interesting utility in groups/raids to help healing the main tank.

That is my vote anyway, but if not for the AA at least it can be added as a spell hopefully 8)

In another thread, Zaela posted an idea for the AA of a single target buff that let the bufee receive all the lifetap healing the necro used. This would make necros add some decent single target healing, but above all

would catapult them into being excellent duo partners. Its a bit tiring that far and away the best duos are melee/healer. )

Holy shit. Id use the hell out of that and it would be my favorate Aa. Hell it could even be a standard drop spell. It woould add excellent utility.

I also think the uberpower of the melee/heal duo is kind of disappointing.

Holy shit. Id use the hell out of that and it would be my favorate Aa. Hell it could even be a standard drop spell. It woould add excellent utility.

I also think the uberpower of the melee/heal duo is kind of disappointing.

Yes, it really was a great idea. And its good both for the raid game and all the other aspects of this huge world. I really hope it goes in to unlock a host of new duoing ideas with the Necro being a viable alternative to druid/sham/cler

The pet looks amazing. Even feyln (paxx) likes it and he's a grumpy stick in the mud. (<3)

I'll probably make them able to proc wrist procs to give them something to make up for lack of weapon procs. And I guess just to make that explicit: the pet will not melee and will not run up to its targets unless they are out of range or out of line of sight.
This is appropriate. In EQ2 which I played briefly, the caster pet melees and ends up being better in every situation including those where you should want to use a tank/melee pet.

Any chance the pet could be the froglok ghost? I know I'm asking for a lot. :p

Last edited:
I'd like a ghost. then we can make burstlich a ghost and the theme could be that "ghosts are caster-ey" in necro land :)

though if they made it a frog skeleton and made it a murk quest to get or something that would make sense. there's lots of cool undead models. bone sarnaks , lots of ghosts of all types. the cool lich model.

they always look so surprised too. like their head spins and they just marvel at it every time.

Back
Top Bottom