Buffs

fuwok

Developer
Staff member
Let's face it. Buffing takes time. Sometimes a lot of time. People spend 15-20 minutes loading bots and buffing their groups, or buffing and rebuffing a raid to get the right SBs.

Getting rid of all buffs and rebalancing all encounters to reflect the new state of players was suggested in the past. I came out against it along with a lot of other people.

What I propose in this S&R thread is this:

an NPC that applies full relic sb buffs for a nominal fee (maybe just "perma'd" also)
getting rid of all player casted buffs
giving casters other cool spells to replace what they had as relic buffs

This will eliminate buff related downtime. I know what you're thinking. But "player interaction". Player interaction is just downtime with an idealistic name. Getting all these buffs before an xp session or during a raid isn't any fun. Ok, now we're finally gathered all 6 or 18 of us and just getting everybody here took like 30 minutes because of travel time/mop death whatever. Now lets spend 20 minutes buffing each other and clicking buffs and rebuffing because people missed buffs.

Not a whole lot of fun. I think elements of the game that are not fun should be revised to put the emphasis on where the fun really is: killing monsters and getting stuff. Not waiting for JB, going back to town to get haste, and things like that.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to tell me that I am a fat jerk from hell if you think this is a bad idea, too.

I love that idea, and I love that you brought this up. In a recent thread, I actually said a good platinum sink would be to have an NPC cast buffs on you for a fee. Some people will call you, me, and Emerica insane....but in reality it is a great thing. Games nowadays don't really have the "Lol gather up and buff!" mechanic anymore. It is old, it is tedious, it is boring, and the "social interaction" is non-existent.

I think SoD 3.0 is where these mechanics need to be pushed forward to. I feel that will be the "rebirth" of SoD, and all of these changes need to be figured out between us and the devs before it is "nah it has been in-game too long, lol"

Instead of a npc to give the buffs out, just eliminate them all together. Would need to rebalance content for the lack of them, but then there would be no issue of buff-bots or waiting on buffs. The only issue would be clickies I guess (like ds, combine, etc.)

I think rebalancing everything isn't worth it from an effort standpoint. Even if all the buffs were just integrated into one buff that was perma-sbed on all level 65s, or all buffs bonuses were integrated into base player stats even, it would be preferable in my opinion to rebalancing every encounter.

Could just purchase an item from a vendor which sells tokens. Tokens are clickies that summon buff-bots. When you're ready, click the token - summon the buff-bot - have your entire raid/group buffed instantly and with 1 buff.

In regards to buffs that stack/don't stack...that is something I will not be able to really speak of atm. I'll have to do some research.

You could also make it so these buff one would get dont have things like duration inc 8, so the idea of having players buff you could still be apealing, but for the quick and painless this would be money.

I really like this idea. The thought of logging in with like a two hour amount of time to commit is awful as sad as it sounds. Log in, spend 20min buffing, 10 or so minutes running to where you wanna farm or worse, you have a group with someone whos slow. An hour later you're ready to do stuff. Really just sucks how long it takes to even prepare for things.

this has the added benefit of no longer having to deal with awful players who think they are special because they have access to buff bots

for that matter there is also the added benefit of no longer having to deal with people who would rather afk than group with a non-relic buffed group

bad ideas inc!

ill agree the need for buff bots and the 100's of alts people to make to try and "relic" for buffing status could be steemed by fuwok's or other ideas posted here.

these ideas below are from a diffrent eqemu server or not on topic and i am by no means saying we should jack them for sod or take them seriously but i hope it could inspire some interesting ideas in the players or staff.

*other*
this is something i saw in a diffrent eq-emu. basically it had some orb clicky that cast all the the clickable from inventory clickies within speciic 10 slot bag at one cast. i thought this was really awesome and saved some time doing clickies after rez or during buff time.

this same server also did a mass zonewide fully best buff of each type (that can take hold on your character) cast on everyone in special "hub" zones every hour or so and upon buff your recieved a crytal that simualted the same effect as a clicky for yoruself with 1 charge that coudl be stacked up to 100 (if you stayed in the zone for 100 hours) obviously this is liekly impossible or too strenuous with the olc client but sod 3.0 could potentially do this maybe if it were interested.

another simple yet still not main topic idea is to lower some of the clicky cast times on items. items like combine bp and or legs come to mind. (not saying lower to instant or 1 sec but something not as teeth grinding as 8/15 seconds or w/e). and maybe change "some" clickies from "must equip" to inventory.

we do miss one aspect if we do it like this. We want different buffs at different situations.
Like usually I want WoN on my druid, on raids I want Focus, since I will max out FT anyways and I want the extra hp's.

This would make it into Vanilla buff, no flavors to be had at all.
I am not totally against the idea, but would kinda miss the tweaking of what non stackable buffs that can be done.

we do miss one aspect if we do it like this. We want different buffs at different situations.
Like usually I want WoN on my druid, on raids I want Focus, since I will max out FT anyways and I want the extra hp's.

This would make it into Vanilla buff, no flavors to be had at all.
I am not totally against the idea, but would kinda miss the tweaking of what non stackable buffs that can be done.

Easier work for the devs when creating new spells, imo.

Yeah,insta rewards without effort thread #3 .
May I suggest you play something else if thats your style and not try to destroy SoD?

Well,lets see if we can dumb down the game more,so far we got:
1)Free charms
2)Bounty rewards without doing bounties
3)Now this gem of a thread

More ideas to dumb the game down past recognition:
1)Mana - get away with it,just let players cast spells without using mana.(same for Sta/Styles)
2)Ports - Tranlocationer NPCs in every zone which are able to tl to every zone.
3)Keys - Well,this problem already solved with #2,hooray no more flagging.
4)Boxxing - give every players an unlimited numbe of pets like on live,no need to raise your own boxxes anymore,this also removes the need to find other players to group with which is the most annoying feature of a MMORPG.
5)Nameds - remove placeholders,just make the Named spawn everytime and lower repop time
of all mobs to 5 minutes(if that isnt too long for the average poster here)
6)Mobs - just add a /cm kill command which can be used to insta kill every mob(incl, raid mobs)
7)Spells - ALL,including relics,Ikisith,ancients,etc. spells get added automatically to your spell
book when you level.

I stop here,I let it up to you to add more ideas how to finish SoD in one day.

/em turns away disgusted and starts Nethack

Last edited:
Yeah,insta rewards without effort thread #3 .
May I suggest you play something else if thats your style and not try to destroy SoD?

Well,lets see if we can dumb down the game more,so far we got:

Loading buffbots is not effort and its not really reward. Its like taking a shit before you get on the train. It is a really annoying thing you need to do. There is no enjoyment sitting in athica for 10 minutes while you load every buff under the sun to maximize your efficiency.

Casual.

I want to throw a terrible idea into the mix: (this is really awful, just sayin)

Add a recipe to each of the aug-maker tradeskills that includes the component "Relic Scroll" with a huge fail rate that never trivializes that allows an aug-maker who looted a relic scroll either make an aug of their choosing with a worn non-stacking buff to it (lesser aug tiers can be done with purchased spell scrolls maybe? Might make worn acumen over-prevelant but who cares).

As an optional twist when making the aug the relic scroll (or ancient, why not?) is randomized so you don't know if you're creating an aug of Raego or RFocus or Relic DS or what, as opposed to creating the aug with the buff you want when you attempt it.

Horrible idea, will never be implimented and rightly so...but this ate up the 10 minutes I wanted to kill before going to work. Cheers!

Loading buffbots is not effort and its not really reward. Its like taking a shit before you get on the train. It is a really annoying thing you need to do. There is no enjoyment sitting in athica for 10 minutes while you load every buff under the sun to maximize your efficiency.

Then why do it? This min/max thing mystifies me. You don't need to be fully raid buffed to do any xp group content. Load whatever buffs you have in your group and go. There's nothing wrong with doing cita with nature's preservation or beastlord haste, I've done it and things still die just fine.

You're intentionally hamstringing yourself by wasting time on out of group buffs that you don't need.

Tbh, anything less then fully buffed is a waste of time imo. You aren't killing as quickly, being less efficient, you could run into mana issues, etc. If it's there you'll do it, unless you're like vastly over tier and you're just planning on farming for the next 9 hours for charms.

Back
Top Bottom