Proposed Monk Changes

Waldoff

Administrator
Staff member
The Dev team is pretty certain we want these to go in - BUT I figured it would be good to get some feedback on the details before full implementation.

The changes are as follows:

1) Monk weight penaltywill be completely done away with. It will no longer matter if you have 10 stones on you or 100 as far as AC or avoidance goes. This also means that the innate 10% avoidance bonus (which was not a lot to be honest) no longer exists as well.

2) Partially to compensate for the loss of avoidance and partially because its a cool idea monks will have a avoidance bonus when they are not attacking something. The number we are kicking around now is 20%. I have dubbed this in my head "Meditative Calm". Having a message tell you when you slip in and out of meditative call might be warranted but also might be too spammy. Opinions are welcome on that point.

3) This next one is cool and all creative credit goes to Slaar. Monks will be getting special attack combos. Instead of having completely unused special attacks earned throughout a monks lifetime we are going to be having monks get special bonuses, buffs, damage and the like happen from specific combinations of special attacks. Want a big damage special? Perform the correct order of special attacks on a mob and it will happen. We hope to expand this to interesting avenues including possible group buffs, defensive abilities and more.

Finally and as an aside - this will likely mean WR bags will be rejiggered since we no longer will have one class who needs *perfect* WR bags desperately and a bunch of other classes who do not.

Comment away! This is likely due within a day or two.

To quell some concerns before they come up - the new combo functionality should give an actual sizable increase to both monk DPS and survivability with a non negligable increase to their utility.

Very excited to hear this, I'll be playing again and will more than likely conduct quite a few parses with the new system and post my results.

I really don't understand why they are required to lose 10% avoidance for the removal of a penalty which has never been relevant to anything other than how much cash you can have or how many inventory slots you can roll with via bags. Talk about mixed messages in a game that encourages and facilitates them rarely having to make choices regarding gear based off weight to then turn around and say well this specter of weight limitation has been removed resulting in you being less annoyed when you try to carry food but since you've gone from a circumstance of being under the weight limit 99% of the time to being under it 100% we're going to have to knock off that avoidance now.

I think it's a good trade off. They get 10% more than they have now when pulling, and sacrifice 10% when attacking for what sounds like a huge dps boost.

Despite it *probably* making tanking/duo'ing as a monk slightly more difficult, I like the changes. I am excited about these combos.

I think it's a good trade off. They get 10% more than they have now when pulling, and sacrifice 10% when attacking for what sounds like a huge dps boost.
Will they do as much damage as a rogue? A class is the sum total of its parts and balanced as a whole but circumstantially may not be able to utilize all those parts at the same time leaving its worth to be judged by only one aspect.

I think that it is premature at this point to voice an opinion one way or the other without knowing more details. the devil is in the details as they say.

Will they do as much damage as a rogue? A class is the sum total of its parts...

Yeah, I have no idea how their dps will be, just saying it sounds like a reasonable trade off. They'll probably still tank a lot better than other dps!

Tested a couple out with Slaar. I think the whole system of using those skills to do this is an amazing idea. Really looking forward to this.

Im jealous of the very engaging combat system you guys are going to get. This sounds completly awesome and the trade off *sounds* fair. Hard to say what to expect yet but, very cool.

On a side note are there other classes you guys are thinking about doing this to in the future?

I played around with the combo system a little today and, while it is still being worked on and limited to just a few moves, it is pretty fun and will probably be well received.

I dont understand this:
2) Partially to compensate for the loss of avoidance and partially because its a cool idea monks will have a avoidance bonus when they are not attacking something. The number we are kicking around now is 20%. I have dubbed this in my head "Meditative Calm". Having a message tell you when you slip in and out of meditative call might be warranted but also might be too spammy. Opinions are welcome on that point.
Is this just for pulling? if so that is fine but monks can already feign and ethereal for pulls if things get bad. There is no way it is for tanking/offtanking/ramp/whirlwind or the like.

This also means that the innate 10% avoidance bonus (which was not a lot to be honest) no longer exists as well.

If it was not a lot why remove it at all?

I am, flat out, not a fan of losing my innate avoidance bonus but I am hopeful that the combos will make up for it, So I will hold out for that. I also am excited to find all that cool monk useable chain and plate armor.

Last edited:
It's the next fun monk thing Kise - Stand there and take ramp, but don't do anything else! Except maybe clickies depending on how it's coded?

Jokes aside, this sounds pretty exciting, and hopefully between this and the recent rogue changes, some more innovative and interactive systems are on the way!

I do think that keeping an innate dodge bonus all the time would be appropriate though, and in return keeping DPS hovering under rogue-level expectations. I'm not sure what a fair number is, but something just significant enough to place a distinction between the rogue and the monk.

It's the next fun monk thing Kise - Stand there and take ramp, but don't do anything else! Except maybe clickies depending on how it's coded?

Jokes aside, this sounds pretty exciting, and hopefully between this and the recent rogue changes, some more innovative and interactive systems are on the way!

I do think that keeping an innate dodge bonus all the time would be appropriate though, and in return keeping DPS hovering under rogue-level expectations. I'm not sure what a fair number is, but something just significant enough to place a distinction between the rogue and the monk.

I would be happy to be doing bard or ranger dps, doing near rogue dps is a dream i wouldn't dare speak out loud.

The combos thing sounds interesting. Will they use round kick and normal kick as part of them? And considering they are all on the same timer, I assume it is a window of time to hit the other for the combo? This would give a reason to max those skills out I guess, because right now, there is little reason to use anything but flying kick and sometimes eagle strike.

And weren't the wr bags already jerked around, w/o this ever being implemented?

I would be happy to be doing bard or ranger dps, doing near rogue dps is a dream i wouldn't dare speak out loud.

rangers and rogues both do several hundred more dps than bards. probably even more now that the only thing keeping a bard's dps somewhat competitive just got removed.

Back
Top Bottom