NPC Buff Casters

Would make more sense you go and play Diablo or even Counterstrike if you like a more
fast paced game,suggesting to turn SoD in something like that is absurd.
And dont take me wrong I like Diablo(2,not sure about 3),its just something different.

Wait, people want to spend time doing something productive and fun in game rather than doing nothing and crashing while loading in 4 or 5 different buffbots? Damn I better go play another game because I dont think loading buffbots and rebuffing is a fun enjoyable part of the game

Kedrin is right regarding buffs and how boringly horrible they are to do.

As far as what would be done with the actual buff spells, I don't really have a suggestion. I guess you could make dying while buffed remove the infinite duration of the buff but not immediately remove the buff, so you'll eventually need to recast it on yourself, other than that I'm not sure.

If you think about it the creators and staff of SoD have done everything they can to get rid of stupid time sinks.
-No corpse runs
-No XP loss on death
-Ability to buy off XP Debt
-Vendors pay decent amounts for loot to save forever auctioning things
-MoP (I know EQ had something similar later on)
-Listsold system.

All of these things fix stupid parts of EQ (that existed at least when I played live) but yet Shards clings to the archaic waste of 45 minute buffing system.

I never ever ever XP without at least Emp, JB, Raego, Focus and SV. That's 4 toons that need to be loaded at a minimum. If my group is 3 people all boxing, then we have to juggle toons in and out and it's a pain. If I had 2 hours to play when I logged on and I spent 15 minutes forming a group, 30 minutes buffing said group and 10 or so minutes running to the dungeon I want to XP in, I just lost half my playtime doing chores.

Sorry for the jumbled post, I'm at work and distracted

Too much about nothing here guys. Durations , SB , perma-SB , etc, etc.

Ok, so getting back to the buff vendor thread and idea.

I like Dimmi's post about clickable scrolls (stackable? maybe , no-rent? hmm possibly some could be like the highest level ones)

Payment for them should not be plat imo.

Idea: Utilize a system like the bounty hunting in thurgadin but instead of buying them with points they can be purchased with dropped tokens around Dalaya. The tokens (stackable also?) can be zone and / or mob specific as well as limited by level and class. (ie. Warpstone caverns could drop your level "X" clerical tokens , and yet another zone could be pally tokens, etc.) these zones could change periodically This would fit the theme of having to move around dalaya and produce traffic in under used zones much the same way as blessed zones have been successful at.

More can be plugged into a system such as this with a few more idea's about BUFF VENDORS.

I like Dimmi's post about clickable scrolls (stackable? maybe , no-rent? hmm possibly some could be like the highest level ones)

More of this. Shower me with adoration e-people, and I will bring unto you a bounty of glory and none shall be outside upon the yew fence where the wages of disbelief are weeping and the gnashing of teeth.

I like the original post's implementation idea and think its a step in the right direction.

However; why make it harder on players who don't have the luxury of logging onto their/friend's/guild's buff bots?

Yes, this change will benefit players who have NO access to a buff bot, but they will still be at a disadvantage by losing money and having lesser quality buffs.

With features like guest locking accounts and the amount of higher leveled characters it is very easy to befriend others/guildies to where they'll let you use their buff bots.

Why make the new player who doesn't have this luxury use their time/money to get these buffs? (Whether they be level 1 or 65+)

In regards to those with buff bot access:
Players with buff bot access have to undergo the tedium of logging in and out their accounts to buff. This process isn't too long but it is tedious and costs play time. This process is also so beneficial that you don't want to skip it despite how tedious it is.

Would it make much of a difference letting an NPC do it for them? With so many buff accounts in circulation, does it really effect much?

No class is solely defined by which buff they cast and they would still be needing to cast buffs anyways while out in the field for extended amounts of time/players needing buffs after rez. All of the classes who can cast buffs also have very useful non-buff utility. If anything, I imagine it would make life better for a buffer since they wouldn't always have to buff everyone.

Due to the above listed reasons; my suggestion would be to just let NPCs cast level appropriate (non soul bound) buffs on them for free. Soul bound / relic buffs could be for a small donation. You could even make the player wait X seconds before they cast the buff on them if you really want to put a penalty in.

In conclusion, having NPCs buff you is a little gamey but isn't using buffbots just the same?

I am fine with whatever happens (because I have buff bots) but wanted to share my perspective and questions in hopes of furthering this implementation.

Last edited:
Spent the last two days beginning implementation. The following cities have NPC buff casters:

Athica, Athicaa, Sadri Malath (Lacks Shaman), Erudin (Lacks Paladin), Erudin Palace, Kelethin, Newport Sewers and Surefall.

They are officially in Beta. These stupid things are a bit complicated, and take a while to write. Spell levels (currently about one tier below what a player could cast at that level), prices, and faction requirements are not yet fixed. Be aware that not all cities offer the same prices for each buff. Where there is less demand, prices will be lower.

So I went to all of the above cities as an iksar, and while I could get cleric buffs in Athica (where I am ally), I was dubious to every single int caster guild and so couldn't get those buffs.

I will see about either giving options to raise faction or starting iksars at apprehensive to casters.

Could there be a "High rolla" option that casts Mass Group buff of buff for a higher price.
Would create a new local afk / group forming spot around that npc and also let peeps get that feel good feeling by buffing nearby peeps.
Obviously price would be Alot more.

Okay,

All the ones currently planned are in. I also substantially increased the duration of a TON of buffs and made Race not play as big a role in default faction to a few cleric or caster guilds (a new Freeport for *all* the races).

We spent three days writing them. Hopefully everyone appreciates the flavor.

Here are the current locations. If anyone thinks of another place that would be well suited for one, feel free to post. The best by far are the two in underhill, the mage one in athicab and the ogre sham in oggok.

Enchanter Athicab
Magician Athicab
Wizard Athicab
Paladin Athica
Cleric Athica
Ranger Kelethin
Druid Kelethin
Druid Surefall
Ranger Surefall
Paladin North Newport
Caster South Newport
Cleric South Newport
Cleric Newport Sewers
Cleric Sadri Malath
Paladin Sadri Malath
Shaman Sadri Malath
Wizard Sadri Malath
Shaman Oggok
Shaman Grobb
Cleric ErudNext
Paladin ErudNext
Magician Erudin Palace
Wizard Erudin Palace
Enchanter Erudin Palace
Shaman Halas
Beastlord Halas
Cleric Underhill
Caster Underhill
Shaman Crags
Beastlord Crags
Shaman Frosthorn
Shaman Oasis
Shaman Wyvernfang

Awesome, I havnt loged in to try out the new buff npcs, but its a sweet idea.
I leveled an account with 65 relic'd Enc x2 , Ranger, Beast, Mage, druid b4 i finished the game.
Also have a paladin at Rohk with anyone kills that anymore.
If anyone wants infos to save some running to npcs / leveling up ur own, give me a holla

I just spent 27p for divine strength just for fun and to see how long it would last. 50mins. Ouch. Doesnt matter to me but i cant imagine the target audience finding this cost reasonable especially given the duration.

Still dubious to athicab casters on my troll/iksar that have athica gate neck. Racist casters. Iksar is also dubious to sadri and erudin, though I've never attempted factioning there. Didn't check with troll.

Back
Top Bottom