Experiment: Quest for the People Project

Waldoff

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last week, I have been going around the newbie zones and have been adding in new quests and updating very old dilapidated ones as I have seen needed. These sorts of quests do not take long to make, but the fact is that a few zones are so lacking in quests that it is hard to continually add in creative dialog and lore.

Becoming a Dev takes a lot of work, and includes a ton of niche learning about scripting, SQL, game mechanics and more. This makes asking the playerbase to actually go out and write/script quests untenable, and further, would take a lot of access that could be used for nefarious purposes.

Still, I have no doubt that lots of people have amazing ideas for simple quests throughout the game that would help fill out the lower levels with more dialog and interest. Because of this, I am going to run a bit of an experiment that I call The Quest for the People Project.

I am opening up this thread for people to not only suggest quests, but to actually go through the process of fully creating the quest short of the technical implementing of it into the game.

At the onset, the focus for the project is going to be extremely narrow. There are two reasons for this. First, it gives us a good starting point to see if there is even interest in something like this. Second, it makes the work of the dev translating the idea into a script much easier.

The Beta Criteria is as follows:
  • You must either use an existing NPC as the quest giver (preferable), or you must specify a citizen NPC to replace with a named NPC.
  • No new monsters or areas can be put into the game. The point of this is to flesh out content already implemented, not add entirely new content.
  • The quest must make sense with the surrounding lore of the area and game. If you want to add something into Kelethin about going into Fearstone to recover a lost wedding ring, the text and story must be within the realm of Wood Elven lore.
  • For now, the maximum level required for the quest must be under 30.
  • Avoid places that are already quest rich. Newport is a good example of this. Kelethin, Sadri, Athica, Underhill are all good examples of places that desperately needs quests. Mid level dungeons like Paw would also be good.
  • You have to write the entire quest - not just suggest what we should put into it. This may mean quest giver dialog, mob dialog, emotes, all items used in the quest, quest rewards, exp amounts, journal entries, and anything else that is needed to fully implement the quest.
  • Simple quests are better. Remember that there is going to be someone having to translate your text into script-speak. Creative scripting or nontraditional questing should be avoided!
  • You must not to pout and complain if your quest is not chosen to go in!
  • The quest must be written out in the format that I will explain below.

The format used should look like this:
Code:
Quest Giver:
Class/Race Restrictions:
Level Range:
Zone:
Faction Requirement:

General Summary of the Quest:

List of all MOBs, with names, location and what they drop:

Dialog Tree for Quest Giver:

Dialog for other involved NPCs:

Dialog for any involved monsters:

Proposed Reward:

Anything else we need to implement your quest:

Remember: The point of this is not to make a bunch of epic quests all throughout the game. The point is to make fun, engaging, interesting, short, traditional quests to flesh out current content. The rewards should often just be experience and some cash, with the rare item quest thrown in.

Use this thread to post your quests, discuss your quests, or anything else related to the project! I will be awarding fame for people who really participate and add to the game, but I do not want fame to be the driving motive behind participation. Further, I think it might be worthwhile to let people give themselves nods for quests that they helped write in game.

Have fun! Hopefully we get some true interest in this. I have no doubt there are a lot of interesting writers out there who can really help us make the lower levels more alive.

This is not yet complete but gives you an idea. I will complete it tonight!

An example:

Quest Giver: Guard Kerwyn
Class/Race Restrictions: None
Level Range: 5-15
Zone: Greater Faydark
Faction Requirement: Non KOS

Guard Kerwyn sits at the northern lift in Greater Faydark. He is really upset that the other guard who was supposed to be posted there with him has not shown up, particularly because he was supposed to go check on the felled logs in the northwest of gfay to see if the exotic spider infestation is under control.

He therefor has two quests. First, go look into the spider situation. Second, find the good for nothing guard and yell at him to get to work. (This will segue into another quest with a sick guard.)

Guard Kerwyn (Quest Giver. Already Exists. Side of Northern Kelethin Lift)
a faydark spider (Mob exists. Need to spawn more around the felled trees in northwest faydark)
Guard Kulren (Replace citizen at X Y Z loc in kelethin.)

f Hail and level is under 5 -> Hail, *playername*. I am Kerwyn, the guard of the Northern Lift. If you get into any trouble, run back here and me or Guard Kulren can help you out. Kulren should be showing up for duty any second, as I am set for a scouting mission later today.

If Hail and level is 5 or over -> "Hail. I am Kerwyn, and somehow I am the only guard posted at the Northern Lift right now. It seems Kulren spent too long at the inn last night... again. Which is *absolutely wonderful* for me, given I am supposed to scout to the Northwest today and check in on the spider infestation. Can't quite do that when it would leave the lift unguarded, can I?"
Dialog(Can I do anything to help?)

If Can I do anything to help? -> Kerwyn looks you up and down, "I suppose you might. You look strong enough to go check on the spider infestation. Alternatively, if you are afraid of spiders, you could go up to Kelethin and throw Kulren out of his bed for me."
Dialog(I can go check on the spiders!)
Dialog(Where does Kulren live?)

Note: Kulren quest is in a later post.

If I can go check on the spiders -> "That is great, *playername*. The wind storm last year felled a bunch of trees in the northwest of the forest. When the Kaezulians came through here in the last war they brought a bunch of exotic spider species with them that has taken a liking to all the dead wood. Head over there and scout the two big fallen trees, and come on back."
Journal(I am to scout the trees in the Northwest of the Faydark to check the spider infestation. I should only have to go near them and peek to see how bad they are)

If Hail and already accepted quest but not scouted -> "Heading out on the scouting mission, playername? You are a life saver."

Player approaches the trees, tons of spiders, gets an update on the quest. Tons of spiders.

Hail if already accepted quest and scouted -> "You are back! How bad was it?"
Dialog(Absolutely horrible. Spiders everywhere!)

If Absolutely horrible -> "Oh no... we will need to cull them. Here is some coin for your trouble, *playername*. Come back in a bit if you want to help cull the spiders... I have no doubt we will need the help."

None

None

Proposed Reward:
Experience and Cash. Plus opens up a quest for sick guard and culling spider quest.

N/A

This is an awesome idea Woldaff!

I'm not the best writer, but I have aspirations to someday be a Developer, so I'll give it a shot. I'll try with a 3 part quest that includes Kelethin and Fearstone :)

I took a break at work to write some of this, and I will work on it more at home, as I am having trouble thinking of actual good dialogue while multitasking. This is by no means finalized for any part yet as I want to review as much lore as I can and will adjust accordingly.

Here is what i have so far...update to come in an edit later tonight..
Code:
Part 1: A Mysterious Note
Quest Giver: Torn paper dropped from any  Frilakh 
Class/Race Restrictions:none/none
Level Range: 1- 10
Faction Requirement: Kelethin : dubious

General Summary of the Quest: Part one of Three.
A torn piece of paper is found on a Frilakh it is nearly completely destroyed.
Upon further inspection the paper yields little information and seems to be gibberish, but shows faded seal of the Kelethin Rogues Guild.
Once this paper is returned to the guild, the Scoutmaster seems to be upset, but is trying not to show it.
It will take some convincing to earn the scoutmasters trust, but once earned he asks you to recover the rest of the paper so the full message can be decrypted.
Recover 5 more pages and turn them in to Scoutmaster Forond and you receive a reward and dialogue leading into part 2.

- A torn piece of paper:
a frilakh boneseer
a frilakh broodling
a frilakh fearblade
a frilakh scout
a frilakh tribesman
All these mobs are near Fearstone or wandering around Greater Faydark.

Dialog Tree for Quest Giver:When paper is right clicked.
Part 1:
The note seems to be gibberish, and is badly damaged and faded but has a seal that looks like its related to the Kelethin rogue guild.

Scoutmaster Forond- when handed the paper:

Scoutmaster Forond says "What is this (Playername)?" Then his eyes widen as he notices the faded seal and handwriting.
A panicked look shows on his face for only a second and he regains his composure.
"This paper is nothing, but a list of where the Frilakh have set up in Greater Faydark.  I appreciate it being returned, but I will ask that you leave me so that I can take care of some guild business."
[d1]"You aren't telling me everything about that paper are you?"
[d2]"You are hiding something from me Forond. You might be trying your best not to show it, but it must be important if a guild master can lose his composure."
Scoutmaster Forond falls down to his knees.
"No ...no I am not hiding anything look....he should not have gone...this is not my fault...for Sihala's sake he is only a child.  I thought he was just hiding around the city, but hes been missing for 3 days now.
[d1]"Calm down you are a guildmaster, and this is now how you should be acting.  Think calmly how could a child get out of the city much less past the guards?
[d2]"A childs life is a stake and you’re on your knees in despair trying to find someone to blame other than yourself?!  Pull yourself together and let figure this out and find that child."
“You are right Playername) there is no time to lose on this.  The child is question is my friend’s son, and I taught the boy everything he knows about sneaking around and maybe even taking things that aren't his.  Look I was not lying about this being information on the Frilakh , and  he most likely stole this paper from one of my scouts he is always been craftier than most.  Might have been trying to impress me, or is trying to prove he is old enough to actually join the guild.  Either way this handwriting is his and is a code that I taught him, unfortunately the message is mostly missing from this piece.  I cannot leave the guild at this time, and all my scouts are out on important missions for Kelethin.  You are the only one I can count on to help me find this child.  We must find the rest of the paper and if it was on those lowly Frilakh then they must have the rest somewhere. 
(Handing in one piece:)
"This is part of the not he left behind, but I still cannot decrypt it without the full message. Keep looking (Playername).
(Once 5 peices are handed in)
"Thank you (Playername), take this for your trouble.  Its going to take me a second to decipher this, but I might need your help again depending on what it says.
Scoutmaster Forond takes the last of the note and pieces it together.  He then rewrites the note on a new piece of paper.  Once this is done he starts rewriting it in different order, but that is all you can tell.
"That idiot!  Hes gone into Fearstone Keep not only that, but the note stops there.  I have no idea what has happened to him.  (Playername) come here I will explain the situation.
N/A
Proposed Reward:
5pp
10000-20000exp

Part 2:The Lost Child
Quest Giver:Scoutmaster Forond
Level Range: 10-25

Once Scoutmaster Forond finds out where the child has gone, he asks you to go and find the child. After some searching in Fearstone Keep you happen upon a small dismembered wood elf’s arm.  On this arm is a tattoo of the same symbol that was on the paper drawn by a novice in ink that has mostly rubbed off.  Sensing  the worst has come to pass for the child you return with the arm to Scoutmaster Forond.

Basically any mundane frilakh in fearstone keep:
a small dismembered wood elfs arm:
a frilakh blackguard
a frilakh bladeforger
a frilakh grimguard
a frilakh guardian
a frilakh sacrificial priest
a frilakh scale guard
a frilakh shadowseeker

Scoutmaster Forond says "This is not good (Playername) he is in the belly of the beast.  All my best scouts are gone on important missions and I cannot leave here until those scouts return.  I would go find him myself, but my hands are tied.  I need you to find the child in Fearstone Keep before the Frilakh do.
I know I can trust you from our previous conversations.  Just find the child and bring him back safely."
(Journal updates without a dialogue choice when hailed again Scoutmaster Forond says “Hurry (Playername) a child’s life is in your hands.")
Upon returning with the arm:
Scoutmaster Forond says "No...this isn't his is it?  This was all you could find?"   Scoutmaster Forond pauses a flash of depair and anger can be seen on his face.  He soon catches himself."(Playername) this was entirely my fault. Scoutmaster Forond loses control of his emotions again.
"He was my best friends son.....he left him to me when he died.  That is it i'm razing that keep to the ground with my own hands!  (Playername) are you with me!?

Proposed Reward:
10000-30000exp

Part 3: Enraged Vengeance

Scoutmaster Forond devastated by the loss of his student asks.  He is gathering as many Kelethin citizens as he can to raze the citadel to the ground. Obliterate as many Frilakh as you can to stop him from doing something drastic.  If full out war between the Frilakh and Kelethin breaks out there would be too much at stake.  If you can take out some of their leaders it might appease his anger faster than killing their pawns.

Mobs do not drop anything for this quest killing them yields a dialogue stating "This was not enough to appease Scoutmaster Forond's rage."
This would be at the discretion of who implements it, but the idea is mundane mobs would be worth 1 and names would be worth 10.  Once the player reaches 100 another dialogue appears "You have killed so many Frilakh that  Scoutmaster Forond might be convinced to rethink his actions."

Mundane Mobs - 1
a frilakh blackguard
a frilakh bladeforger
a frilakh grimguard
a frilakh guardian
a frilakh scale guard
a frilakh shadowseeker

Named NPCs- 10
a frilakh quarrymaster
a frilakh Commander
A frenzied frilakh
An obese frilakh
Fakzuath the Scavenger
King of the Hill
Orcwrangler Khizalhk
Ta'Firyik the Darkscale
Terror Master Gziilakh

Scoutmaster Forond says "(Playername)  I'm leaving my post and I do not care what happens.  I'm going to gather anyone I can for the cause and I going to destroy those Lizards once and for all."
[D1]"That may not be the best solution.  Think for a second Forond  your thirst for vengeance is going to get  too many people killed!"
Scoutmaster Forond says "It is all I have left that child was not ready for death.
[D1]"Hundreds of lives if not thousands sacrificed to nothing but some rogues anger over his lost prodigy is not going to fix this. Pull yourself together you are better than this.  Think this through you do not need to use Kelethin as a tool for your vengeance. Let me go to the Keep and discretely carry out your vengeance without causing a war.
Scoutmaster Forond says "  Do what you must, but as soon as I have enough force to completely flatten that Keep I'm going in whether is causes a war or not."
When hailed without the vengeance flag. "Get lost (Playername) I see that you are as worthless as those lizards are.  You might even be the cause of his death...."
(Once completed) "I'm sorry (Playername)   I have had time to think, and my actions were not something that a person in my position should have done.  You have been nothing but a great help to me and Kelethin and I lashed out at you.  Thank you for stopping me and thank you for putting yourself at risk to carry out a fool’s vengeance. I could have caused Kelethin to fall.  I was making a gift for the child's birthday, and I think he would have wanted you to have it.

Proposed Reward:
A Child's Mask
Ac: 3
Charges: 5
Effect: Camoflague (Must Wear Clicky, Instant)
AGI +5 DEX+5
Weight: 1.0 Size: Small
ALL/ALL

5pp-10pp
10000-30000exp

Last edited:
Oh! Some cool new tech that Slaariel recently put in is that we can use books to start quests. Meaning you can have things drop which, when read, create a journal entry. That might help spur some ideas.

Made it one quest in 4 parts rather than 4 different quests, but it's done!
Quest 1:

Code:
Quest Giver: Guard Flipik (199.48, -144.63, 14.12, Sadri Malath. Replacing the Guardian of Malath in the hut he's in)
Class/Race Restrictions: Froglok Only
Level Range: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9, 10-12
Zone: Sadri Malath, Sundered Mountains
Faction Requirement: Dubious

General Summary of the Quest: Vulfwere Encroachment: Over time the vulfwere have encroached closer and closer to Sadri to malath. This is the first quest in a small chain of newbie quests for froglok rewarding exp and low level gear. 

a wulfwere pup, -4323, 3343.56, -44.03. Vulfwere Pup Fang
Vulfwere Youngclaw Vulfwere Initiate -4025, 2400, -44. -3800, 2150, -44. Vulfwere Mandible. 
a feeder adult roams, Feeder Haunch
A Vulfwere Hunter roams, Vulfwere Paw

Guard Flipik says, 'Hail in the name of the Master, <Player Name>. How may I help you?'
-[D1] The guards told me you were looking for help.
You say, 'The guards told me you were looking for help.'
Guard Flipik looks you up and down then flicks his tongue. 
Guard Flipik says, 'Ah, a young adventurer I see. Well then I'll get straight down to it. Since I've come to Sadri Malath the Vulfwere have been encroaching on the city. They've gotten more aggressive recently and we need to cull their numbers. Start with the pups near the city; collect ten of their teeth to show me you can handle yourself, then report back here.
-[D1] Pull ten teeth the report back here, got it.
You say, 'Pull ten teeth the report back here, got it. '
Guard Flipik says, 'It's less like pulling teeth, and more like bashing them out of their skulls. Now get going.'
-[D2] No thanks, I'm not interested.'
Guard Flipik sighs, clearly disappointed.
Guard Flipik says, 'If you aren't going to help, then get out of my hut, tadpole.'

Returning without the teeth:
Guard Flipkik says, 'Back So soon? and without the teeth? Adventurers these days..'

After handing him the teeth:
Guard Flipik licks the blood off one of the teeth.
Guard Flipik says, 'Definitely Vulfwere blood, you're off to a good start. Glad to see you returned in one piece. Take these as a token of the cities appreciation.' 
You receive 1500 exp!!!
You Receive Item!!
-[D1] So what's next?
You say, 'So what's next?'
Guard Flipik says, 'You've got quite the bloodlust it seems. North of the city you will find more vulfwere gathered near their makeshift tents. This time I want you to bring me their entire jaws; Five of them should do.'	

Returning without the Mandible:
Guard Flipik says, 'Kill those vulfwere <Player Name>, the city depends on it!'

After Handing him the five mandibles:
As Guard Flipik extends his hand to grab the mandibles you notice a necklace made of familiar looking teeth around his neck.
Guard Flipik runs his fingers over the teeth attached to the mandible, then grins.
Guard Flipik says 'Perfect. Take these on behalf of the city.'
You Receive 2250 Exp!!!
You Receive Item!!!
-[D1] Now what?
Guard Flipik says, 'Killing the vulfwere is only part of culling their numbers. We also need to control their food supply if we want to stem their advance. Kill Mature Feeders north of their city and bring me ten of their haunches; that should be a sufficient reduction in their food supplies'

Returning Without the Haunches:
Guard Flipik says, 'Ten haunches! Adult Feeders! Go!'

After handing him the ten haunches:
As you enter the hut you notice the mandibles you collected hanging from the walls of Flipik's hut. 
Guard Flipik takes the haunches from you, then stares at them intently. 
Guard Flipik says, 'I'm impressed that you didn't even mutilate these bringing them to me. On behalf of the city here's your reward.'
You Receive 3000 experience!!!
You Receive Item!!!
-[D1] Starving Vulfwere? Seems a bit cruel. How much more is there to do?
Guard Flipik says 'Much more than you can do by alone; the Vulfwere are a serious threat. But I have one last task you can complete by yourself. Northeast of the city, you will find Vulfwere hunters. Killing them is the other half of controlling their food supply. Bring me five of their paws as proof.'

Returning without the paws:
Guard Flipik says 'Bring me those paws!'

After handing him the paws:
As you approach the hut you smell something cooking. You look in the pot to the hut and see the haunches in a pot of brown gravy.
Guard Flipik takes the paws from you. You notice him stroking the fur with his fingers.
Guard Flipik says, 'You've gone above and beyond what I expected from a new adventurer. On behalf of myself and the city, take this as thanks.'
You Receive 5000 Experience!!!
You Receive Item!!!
-[D1] So I noticed you were keeping what I brought you. Why?
Guard Flipik says, 'I grew up near the docks in Sundered mountains. My mother was killed by a pack of hunting vulfwere. It drove my father mad. He hunted and killed vulfwere until he succumbed to them himself. He wore their bones as armor, and decorated our hut with them. I do the same to pay respect to my father.'
-[D1] And the stew?
Guard Flipik says, 'The stew is a local favorite. What, did you think we ate bugs?'

All guardians of malath in sadri would need to be given the third dialog option.

A guardian of Malath says, Hail in the Name of the master. I am a guardian of his city, Sadri Malath. 
-[D1] Who is the Master?
-[D2] This city is called Sadri Malath?
-[D3] Do you know where I could find work?
You say, 'Do you know where I could find work?'
A guardian of Malath says, 'Guard Flipik is looking for help protecting the city from the Vulfwere. You can find him in his hut near the forge.'

N/A

Proposed Reward:
Part 1
1500 Exp

Boots of the Theron
[Magic Item][Lore Item][No Drop]
AC: 7
Wis: +2 Str: +2 Sta: +2
Clr/War/Pal
Weight 2.0 Size: Small

Boots of the Spirit Brother
Ac: 5
Wis: +2 Cha: +2 Sta: +2
SHM
Weight: 1.5 Size: Small

Boots of the Keeper
Int: +2 Cha: +2 Sta: +2

Part 2
2250 Exp

Gloves of the Theron
Ac: 11
Wis: +3 Str: +3 Sta +3
Clr/War/Pal
Weight: 2.0 Size: Small

Gloves of the Spirit Brother
Ac: 9
Wis:+3 Cha: +3 Sta: +3
SHM
Weight: 1.5 Size: Small

Gloves of the Keeper
Ac:5
Int: +3 Cha: +3 Sta:+3
WIZ

Part 3
3000 Experience

Bracers of the Theron (x2)
Ac: 8
Wis: +2 Str: +2 Sta: +2
CLR/WAR/PAL

Bracers of the Spirit Brother
Ac:6
Wis: +2 Cha: +2 Sta: +2
Weight: 0.5 Size: Small
SHM

Bracers of the Keeper
AC: 4
Int: +2 Cha: +2 Sta: +2
Weight: 0.5 Size: Small
WIZ

Part 4
5000 Experience

Helmet of the Theron
Ac: 16
Wis: +3 Str: +3 Sta: +3
Weight: 3.5 Size: Medium
CLR/War/Pal 

Helm of the Spirit Brother
Ac: 13
Wis: +3 Cha: +3 Sta: +3
Weight 2.0 Size: Medium
SHM

Cowl of the Keeper
Int: +3 Cha: +3 Sta: +3
Weight 1.0 Size: Medium
WIZ 

N/A

Should be ready to go!

Last edited:
Be sure to say or edit in when you think your idea is ready to ship. That way we know who is talking and fleshing out their ideas and who wants to be considered done!

I saw this and got a wild hair, so here's a simple one.

Quest Giver: A Miserable Old Ranger (An Athica Citizen in bar)
Class/Race Restrictions: None
Level Range: 10-30
Zone: Athica
Faction Requirement: Indifferent Athica.

General Summary of the Quest: A Miserable Old Lady is suffering from a nagging wound inflicted by a poisoned Kaezulian blade. She is healed, though must take painkillers, but recently they have proved to be not strong enough. You must find her something stronger.

List of all MOBs, with names, location and what they drop: Ground Spawn: Ice Poppies.

Dialog Tree for Quest Giver: A Miserable Old Ranger shudders, drinking brandy at an alarming rate. She sighs and groans at your presence “What do you want?”
-(D1) “You seem to be in much pain.”
A Miserable Old Ranger says, “You don’t know what pain is until you’ve been poisoned by a Kaezulian blade. These Clerics claim to heal, and yes, I’m not dying, but some damage is permanent, and even the alchemists can no longer ease the pain.”
-(D1) “Is there anything I can do?”
A Miserable Old Ranger is taken aback, asking, “You would help me?”
-(D1) “I’ll do what I can.”
A Miserable Old Ranger says, “Well, a shaman once told me the strongest painkiller grows along the tundra in Everfrost. I am too weak to travel so far, but if you can find it and ease my pain, I would be forever thankful.”

You hand A Miserable Old Ranger Ice Poppies
A Miserable Old Ranger says, “By the gods, the shaman was right. I haven’t felt so relieved in years! I might even go do some target practice. Thank you, (player name) you are a saint and I will sing your praises all over town.”

Dialog for other involved NPCs: None

Dialog for any involved monsters: None

Proposed Reward: EXP +Athica Faction

Anything else we need to implement your quest: None

i have made one of these quests already.

it will go in next patch.

took about 90 minutes.

GOOD FORMATTING HELPS IMMENSELY!

good luck

If you finish this I will be happy to implement it. So far it sounds good! I might even be able to expand it a bit as Kelethin is a great city, but in need of way more quests and general attention. Although, I cannot promise it will be as fast as Slaar's work!

This is an awesome idea Woldaff!

I'm not the best writer, but I have aspirations to someday be a Developer, so I'll give it a shot. I'll try with a 3 part quest that includes Kelethin and Fearstone :)

I took a break at work to write some of this, and I will work on it more at home, as I am having trouble thinking of actual good dialogue while multitasking. This is by no means finalized for any part yet as I want to review as much lore as I can and will adjust accordingly.

Here is what i have so far...update to come in an edit later tonight..

Code:
Part 1:

Upon further inspection the paper yields little information and seems to be gibberish, but shows faded seal of the Kelethin Rogues Guild.
Once this paper is returned to the guild, the Scoutmaster seems to be upset, but is trying not to show it.
It will take some convincing to earn the scoutmasters trust, but once earned he asks you to recover the rest of the paper so the full message can be decrypted.
Recover 5 more pages and turn them in to Scoutmaster Forond and you receive a reward and dialogue leading into part 2.

- A torn piece of paper:
a frilakh boneseer
a frilakh broodling
a frilakh fearblade
a frilakh scout
a frilakh tribesman

Part 1:
The note seems to be gibberish, and is badly damaged and faded but has a seal that looks like its related to the Kelethin rogue guild.

Scoutmaster Forond says "What is this (Playername)?" Then his eyes widen as he notices the faded seal and handwriting.
A panicked look shows on his face for only a second and he regains his composure.
"This paper is nothing, but a list of where  the Frilakh have set up in Greater Faydark.  I appreciate it being returned, but I will ask that you leave me so that I can take care of some guild business."
[d2]"You are hiding something from me Forond. You might be trying your best not to show it, but it must be important  if a guild master can lose his composure."
"No ...no  I am not hiding anything look....he should not have gone...this is not my fault...for Sihala's sake he is only a child.  I thought he was just hiding around the city, but hes been missing for 3 days now.
[d1]"Calm down you are a guildmaster, and this is now how you should be acting.  Think calmly how could a child get out of the city much less past the guards.
[d2]"A childs life is a stake and your on your knees in despair trying to find someone to blame other than yourself?!  Pull yourself together and let figure this out and find that child."
" You are right Playername) there is no time to lose on this.  The child is question is my friends son, and I taught the boy everything he knows about sneaking around and maybe even taking things that aren't his.  Look  I was not lying bout this being information on the Frilakh , and  he most likely stole this paper from one of my scouts hes always been craftier than most.  Might have been trying to impress me, or is trying to prove hes old enough to actually join the guild.  Either way this handwriting is his and is a code that I taught him, unforunately the message is mostly missiing from this piece.  I cannot leave the guild at this time, and all my scouts are out on important missions for Kelethin.  You are the only one I can count on to help me find this child.  We must find the rest of the paper and if it was on those lowly Frilakh  then they must have the rest somewhere. 
"This is part of the not he left behind, but I still cannot decrypt it without the full message. Keep looking (Playername).
"Thank you  (Playername), take this for your trouble.  Its going to take me a second to decipher this, but I might need your help again depending on what it says.
Scoutmaster Forond take the last of the note and pieces it together.  He then rewrites the note on a new piece of paper.  Once this is done he starts rewriting it in different order, but that is  all you can tell.
"That idiot!  Hes gone into Fearstone Keep not only that, but the note stops there.  I have no idea whats happened to him.  (Playername) come here I will explain the situation.
N/A
Proposed Reward:
5pp
10000-20000exp

Part 2:
Level Range: 
Zone: 

Once Scoutmaster Forond finds out where the child has gone, he asks you to go and find the child. After some searching in fearstone keep you happen upon a small dismembered wood elfs arm.  On this arm is a tatoo of the same symbol that was on the paper drawn by a novice in ink that has mostly rubbed off.  Senseing the the worst has come to pass for the child you return with the arm to Scoutmaster Forond.

Proposed Reward:

Part 3:
Quest Giver:
Level Range: 
Zone: 

Proposed Reward:

Aye, I plan to put the rest in this week. Tomorrow I'll have some time, and I'll be filling out an application for the web dev position as well as finishing this quest up.

It is finished now by the way, I dunno how I feel about how it turned out.

Last edited:
I heard last night that the quest was in and wanted to help test it, but I massacred those lizards and the starting point item never dropped.

I did not put that in because you said you were going to finish it!

There is another missing kid quest in Kelethin, though.

But that is not a huge deal. Finish the quest and we can put it in!

Ahaha,

That is hilarious that there is another quest with a similar premise. No wonder I was confused. It has been finished for a while I thought I posted that it was. I'll repost the finished product below :)

Code:
Part 1: A Mysterious Note

- A torn piece of paper:
a frilakh boneseer
a frilakh broodling
a frilakh fearblade
a frilakh scout
a frilakh tribesman

Part 1:

"This paper is nothing, but a list of where the Frilakh have set up in Greater Faydark.  I appreciate it being returned, but I will ask that you leave me so that I can take care of some guild business."
[d2]"You are hiding something from me Forond. You might be trying your best not to show it, but it must be important if a guild master can lose his composure."
"No ...no I am not hiding anything look....he should not have gone...this is not my fault...for Sihala's sake he is only a child.  I thought he was just hiding around the city, but hes been missing for 3 days now.
[d1]"Calm down you are a guildmaster, and this is now how you should be acting.  Think calmly how could a child get out of the city much less past the guards?
[d2]"A childs life is a stake and you’re on your knees in despair trying to find someone to blame other than yourself?!  Pull yourself together and let figure this out and find that child."
“You are right Playername) there is no time to lose on this.  The child is question is my friend’s son, and I taught the boy everything he knows about sneaking around and maybe even taking things that aren't his.  Look I was not lying about this being information on the Frilakh , and  he most likely stole this paper from one of my scouts he is always been craftier than most.  Might have been trying to impress me, or is trying to prove he is old enough to actually join the guild.  Either way this handwriting is his and is a code that I taught him, unfortunately the message is mostly missing from this piece.  I cannot leave the guild at this time, and all my scouts are out on important missions for Kelethin.  You are the only one I can count on to help me find this child.  We must find the rest of the paper and if it was on those lowly Frilakh then they must have the rest somewhere. 
"Thank you (Playername), take this for your trouble.  Its going to take me a second to decipher this, but I might need your help again depending on what it says.
Scoutmaster Forond takes the last of the note and pieces it together.  He then rewrites the note on a new piece of paper.  Once this is done he starts rewriting it in different order, but that is all you can tell.
"That idiot!  Hes gone into Fearstone Keep not only that, but the note stops there.  I have no idea what has happened to him.  (Playername) come here I will explain the situation.
N/A
Proposed Reward:
5pp
10000-20000exp

Part 2:The Lost Child

Once Scoutmaster Forond finds out where the child has gone, he asks you to go and find the child. After some searching in Fearstone Keep you happen upon a small dismembered wood elf’s arm.  On this arm is a tattoo of the same symbol that was on the paper drawn by a novice in ink that has mostly rubbed off.  Sensing  the worst has come to pass for the child you return with the arm to Scoutmaster Forond.

Basically any mundane frilakh in fearstone keep:
a small dismembered wood elfs arm:
a frilakh blackguard
a frilakh bladeforger
a frilakh grimguard
a frilakh guardian
a frilakh scale guard
a frilakh shadowseeker

Scoutmaster Forond says "This is not good (Playername) he is in the belly of the beast.  All my best scouts are gone on important missions and I cannot leave here until those scouts return.  I would go find him myself, but my hands are tied.  I need you to find the child in Fearstone Keep before the Frilakh do.
I know I can trust you from our previous conversations.  Just find the child and bring him back safely."
(Journal updates without a dialogue choice when hailed again Scoutmaster Forond says “Hurry (Playername) a child’s life is in your hands.")
Upon returning with the arm:
Scoutmaster Forond says "No...this isn't his is it?  This was all you could find?"   Scoutmaster Forond pauses a flash of depair and anger can be seen on his face.  He soon catches himself."(Playername) this was entirely my fault. Scoutmaster Forond loses control of his emotions again.
"He was my best friends son.....he left him to me when he died.  That is it i'm razing that keep to the ground with my own hands!  (Playername) are you with me!?

Proposed Reward:
10000-30000exp

Part 3: Enraged Vengeance

Scoutmaster Forond devastated by the loss of his student asks.  He is gathering as many Kelethin citizens as he can to raze the citadel to the ground. Obliterate as many Frilakh as you can to stop him from doing something drastic.  If full out war between the Frilakh and Kelethin breaks out there would be too much at stake.  If you can take out some of their leaders it might appease his anger faster than killing their pawns.

Mobs do not drop anything for this quest killing them yields a dialogue stating "This was not enough to appease Scoutmaster Forond's rage."
This would be at the discretion of who implements it, but the idea is mundane mobs would be worth 1 and names would be worth 10.  Once the player reaches 100 another dialogue appears "You have killed so many Frilakh that  Scoutmaster Forond might be convinced to rethink his actions."

Mundane Mobs - 1
a frilakh blackguard
a frilakh bladeforger
a frilakh grimguard
a frilakh guardian
a frilakh scale guard
a frilakh shadowseeker

Named NPCs- 10
a frilakh quarrymaster
a frilakh Commander
A frenzied frilakh
An obese frilakh
Fakzuath the Scavenger
King of the Hill
Orcwrangler Khizalhk
Ta'Firyik the Darkscale
Terror Master Gziilakh

Scoutmaster Forond says "(Playername)  I'm leaving my post and I do not care what happens.  I'm going to gather anyone I can for the cause and I going to destroy those Lizards once and for all."
[D1]"That may not be the best solution.  Think for a second Forond  your thirst for vengeance is going to get  too many people killed!"
Scoutmaster Forond says "It is all I have left that child was not ready for death.
[D1]"Hundreds of lives if not thousands sacrificed to nothing but some rogues anger over his lost prodigy is not going to fix this. Pull yourself together you are better than this.  Think this through you do not need to use Kelethin as a tool for your vengeance. Let me go to the Keep and discretely carry out your vengeance without causing a war.
Scoutmaster Forond says "  Do what you must, but as soon as I have enough force to completely flatten that Keep I'm going in whether is causes a war or not."
When hailed without the vengeance flag. "Get lost (Playername) I see that you are as worthless as those lizards are.  You might even be the cause of his death...."
(Once completed) "I'm sorry (Playername)   I have had time to think, and my actions were not something that a person in my position should have done.  You have been nothing but a great help to me and Kelethin and I lashed out at you.  Thank you for stopping me and thank you for putting yourself at risk to carry out a fool’s vengeance. I could have caused Kelethin to fall.  I was making a gift for the child's birthday, and I think he would have wanted you to have it.

Proposed Reward:
A Child's Mask
Charges: 5
Effect: Camoflague (Must Wear Clicky, Instant)
AGI +5 DEX+5
ALL/ALL

5pp-10pp
10000-30000exp

Last edited:
Thanks for opening up this discussion

What's up, people. Slaariel, tell me way to improve formatting.

Code:
Quest Title: A Fish For Research
Quest Giver:Mikra (Fishing Merchant)
Class/Race Restrictions: NONE
Level Range: 1 - 65
Zone: Underhill
Faction Requirement:Non-KOS

Fishing quest for faction.

Mikra - Underhill (727, 152)
	Fish in Ak'anon
		1) Crappie		Common
		2) Rock Bass		Uncommon
		3) White Lurker		Uncommon
		4) Greyfin Cavefish	Rare
		5) Anglerfish		Rare

Mikra says, "Welcome, [PLAYER].  I don't see many people on this side of Underhill.  Are you here to dip your legs in the water and do some fishing?"
1	[d1] That's my plan.
2	[d2] I'm not much of a fisherman.
	Cont 2	Mikra says, "Since your fishing anyway would you mind helping me with some research?"
3	[d1] What kind of research?
4	[d2] No, I plan on just fishing and relaxing.
	Cont 3	Mikra says, "I am getting samples of fish to study them for an invention.  I have a few from this pond but I could always use more.  When your fishing save a few and give them to me.  I can't reward you much but I would really appreciate it."
5	[d1] Sure, what are you planning to make?
6	[d2] I think I'll just go fishing and eat my spoils.
	Cont 5	Mikra says, "Oh just you wait and see."

Cont. 2 Mikra says, "Well if you ever learn I am your Gnome." [EXIT CHAT]
Cont. 4 Mikra says, "Fair enough. Enjoy the water." [EXIT CHAT]
Cont. 6 Mikra says, "I understand the hardest part about a good fish is not eating them." [EXIT CHAT]

Give Fish to Mikra.  Responses are classified in three groups: Common, Uncommon, and Rare.  Those are based on the skill required to catch the fish.
		Rare - Mikra says, "That was a big one. Look at the fins this will be great for experimentation."
		Uncommon - Mikra says, "I don't see these as often.  Good catch."
		Common - Mikra says, "Thats a common catch, but I can learn a few things from it."

Proposed Reward:
	Rare 		- 5 gold & Underhill Citizens Faction
	Uncommon 	- 1 gold & Underhill Citizens Faction
	Common 		- 5 silver & Underhill Citizens Faction

Repeatability: Based on Faction like the other turn-ins.  Can't get above Kindly doing this.
Reasoning:
	Basic fishing faction quest made to use the pond fishing area in Underhill.  
Turns-in allow player to get money and minor faction.  This will be a series of 
fishing quest guiding the player to various fishing location for Mikra's research. 
The result to the chain will be a good fishing item.  Currently, the max fishing is
 15 from high level spawns and drops.  This would NOT extent that cap. Instead,
 it would suppliment the lower end player base that does not have access to 
those items by providing a seconday with +3 Fishing.  This is better than the
 Fishing Spear (Primary), Fishing Spear (Range), Fishing Net (Seconday), 
Errant Fish Hook (Ear) configuration (Total +8). 
Allowing for a +10 by having a seconday +4 fishing item.

Additionally, this helps the gnome faction situation.  There are few
 quests that I know of that raises Underhill Faction.  By filling out some 
bottom quests like this a foundation is laid for a gate neck like.  This holds 
symmetry to the Athica faction and neck quests so higher level players will 
intuitively understand.

Yeah I am ready to put it in but could you check it over for grammar and spelling first?

I am not great at these things, but I found quite a few!

Yeah I am ready to put it in but could you check it over for grammar and spelling first?

I am not great at these things, but I found quite a few!

Was that for me or LarreBarre. I did check for spelling and grammar. If it was for me let me know I'll run it through a more thorough check.

Edit

The only thing I looked over was the dialogue trees and three responses. IMO, that is the only thing that matters. Additionally, I took out the reasoning section because it is posted above.
If this gets put in I’ll write the rest of the series. I feel like these could add a little bit of entertainment to fishing.
Also, I am damn near illiterate. So, please, look over it and make any corrections you like. I program for a living. I am by no means a writer. In fact, the only reason I wanted to post a few quests is because I think this is a great experiment a great chance to enrich some parts of the server that would go otherwise unnoticed *Kelethin, Underhill, etc.*

Code:
Quest Title: A Fish For Research
Quest Giver: Mikra (Fishing Merchant)
Class/Race Restrictions: NONE
Level Range: 1 - 65
Zone: Underhill
Faction Requirement: Non-KOS

A fishing quest for Underhill faction.

Mikra - Underhill (727, 152)
	Fish in Underhill
		1) Crappie		Common
		2) Rock Bass		Uncommon
		3) White Lurker		Uncommon
		4) Greyfin Cavefish	Rare
		5) Anglerfish		Rare

Mikra says, "Welcome to my fishing shop, [PLAYER].  I don't see many people on this side of Underhill.  Are you here to dip your legs in the water and do some fishing?"
1	[d1] That's my plan.
2	[d2] I'm not much of a fisherman.
	Cont 2	Mikra says, “You’re going fishing, then?  Do you mind helping me with some research?"
3	[d1] What kind of research?
4	[d2] No, I just plan on fishing and relaxing.
	Cont 3	Mikra says, "My next invention requires research in aquatic life.  I have a small variety of fish from this pond but I could always use more.  When you’re fishing, save a few and give them to me.  I can't afford to pay you much, but I would really appreciate it."
5	[d1] Sure, what are you planning to make?
6	[d2] I think I'll just go fishing and eat my spoils.
	Cont 5	Mikra says, "Oh just wait and see."

Cont. 2 Mikra says, "Well if you ever want to learn I am your Gnome." [EXIT CHAT]
Cont. 4 Mikra says, "Fair enough. Enjoy the water." [EXIT CHAT]
Cont. 6 Mikra says, "I understand the hardest part about a good fish is not eating them." [EXIT CHAT]

Give Fish to Mikra.  Responses are classified in three groups: Common, Uncommon, and Rare.  Those are based on the skill required to catch the fish.
		Rare - Mikra says, "That was a big one. Look at the fins.  This will be great for experimentation."
		Uncommon - Mikra says, "I don't see these as often.  Good catch."
		Common - Mikra says, "That’s a common catch, but maybe I can learn a few things from it."

Proposed Reward:
	Rare 		- 5 gold & Underhill Citizens Faction
	Uncommon 	- 1 gold & Underhill Citizens Faction
	Common 		- 5 silver & Underhill Citizens Faction

Repeatability: Based on Faction like the other turn-ins.  Can't get above Kindly doing this.

Quest Giver: Guard Xnamehere of course (outside Athica or somewhere, in Greater Faydark)
Class/Race Restrictions:all/all
Level Range:10-30
Faction Requirement: none

A player between levels 10-30 must learn how to use the Mansion of Portals and some general lowbie geography by returning stolen Elven weaponry to a guard in Greater Faydark near Athica. The weaponry quest pieces are found in Blackburrow and Shrouded Isle. The rewards are 5 simple maps, 250 platinum, exp, and an explanation of treasure maps.

Trash in Blackburrow (An Elven Blade – no stats, lore)
Trash in Shrouded isle (An Elven Wand – no stats, lore)
10% - 50% chance to drop.

“Greetings, young adventurer. Welcome to our humble kingdom, tucked away from the harsh touch of Kaezul. What do you think of our city?”

(1) It’s great! Everyone here is so happy!
(2) All citizens of this land seem to abide by the rules of your guard, thus it is a fine place.
(3) Yick. You pompous elves disgust me.
(4) It’d be a lot better without all these guards watching everybody!

*spec hit here*

“Thanks for your feedback, adventurer.”

The guard inspects you, his pupils becoming momentarily dilated, and he begins to smirk.

“I wonder if…no. That won’t work. Enjoy your time here in the Faydark.”

(1) …is there something I can…um, help you with?

“Actually yes! If you’re willing to put one of your lives on the line, that is. You see, some rather foul beasts have recently been sighted in these parts. I don’t really know how they got here. Could have something to do with all the Kaezulian troops roaming all over Dalaya. Their master is a purveyor of magics long thought extinct in this land. “

(1) What kind of beasts?

“Oh… well, you name it, really: stinking gnolls and ghoulish skeletons. Not native to this region, I can tell you that much. They have been pilfering our supply of weaponry! I’m afraid I was just awakening from a nap when I spotted them escaping through the Mansion of Portals, probably returning to the decrepit origins from whence they emerged! “

(1) So… you want me to get the weaponry back for you?
“We cannot refuse your offer to help! I bet the weapons are long gone by now, it is worth a shot though. Prove your worth by slaying the aforementioned monsters in their habitats, and finding our pilfered gear! You will know it when you see it.”

(1) Where do you think those monsters went again?
“Gnolls. Slobbering beasts. They are not very well evolved, so I don’t think they are smart enough to hide our weapons. Their breeding ground is Blackburrow, not far from the Newport portal. The skeletons are undoubtedly from Shrouded Isle, not far from the Erudin portal. Our guards would do it but…I’m afraid we can’t leave our post, as the threat of Kaezul is too great. Return our precious weaponry and we will be in your debt, adventurer!”
**After turn in**
Guard Xnamehere excitedly cackles.
“You have recovered our things from the cruel monsters of the world! Take this as a token of our appreciation. These maps may lead you to powerful treasure, though you will need to recruit some fellow adventurers to help....around your own power level of course. A shovel can be purchased at most inns around Dalaya.”

Proposed Reward: 5 simple maps, 5k exp, 250 platinum, and the spec hit from before should be considered a reward. Unlocks further fetch missions from dungeons that get progressively harder by level, i.e. Lair of Paw, Cesspits, dwarf ghost place.

Back
Top Bottom