Channeling

There is a grand total of like 15 items with Channeling mods in the entire game, so this change does not merit this level of hand-wringing only a quick and painless Ctrl-Z on a few things. From a glance through the DB and a brief discussion, I think the only items actually in need of re-balancing on this change alone might be the gan neck (an item that was designed and then had +1 channeling added after the fact) and mayyybe maybe one of the shoulder items (either Olaghar's Ingenuity OR Refusal of Guilt). No one is going to stop wearing Fel'talla because of this change and March to Strife has its own set of problems.

If there is anything else, please let me know! Thanks.

And how much will +1 channeling do ? How about it can also make you fizzle less for the wiscasters since its more "channeling" now.

Thats cool and makes sense. Will there be a way to increase spell crit still? I think a focus would be a good option.

Focus of the Possessor
March to Strife
Olgahrs Inginuity

Are the ones off the top of my head. Might consider adding +evocation or a focus effect to them, I know pet health would be amazing for something in the march/focus of the possesor range.

With the dps loss of this and a few other things combined with the dps loss of bane will any encounters be midified to reflect this?

Does this mean we can expect +Channeling mods to be re-allocated to more items now that this overcap bonus will no longer be "broken," similar to how Spell Ward's change was carried out? With how ordinary this skillmod is now, tiers 1 through 9 and 11 could probably do with a bit of attention if the stat is to be added to new (in other words, old) items.

Here's an organized list of all documented +Channeling items by tier in case it is helpful:

Pre-Tier & TMap

Tier 1

Tier 2
  • None

Tier 3
  • None

Tier 4
  • None

Tier 5
  • None

Tier 6

Tier 7
  • None

Tier 8

Tier 9

Tier 10

Tier 11
  • None

Tier 12

Tier 13

Tier 14

Is there any chance of having a focus effect that is 1% spell crit per rank? Because that would be cool and just turn it into another focus instead of a stat that can be stacked.

Please post a list of items that are now ruined from this change.

Your nerfs are ruining the entire server and making everyone quit.

The correlation between the nerfs from the beginning of last year and the die-off of server population is quite evident, and can be seen by everyone involved with this game except for the staff. It's almost comical; you want to boost numbers and do things like account drives, exp weekends, etc. But then you drive everyone away by nerfing exp, items, focus effects, ad infinitum.

You will have a perfectly balanced game eventually, but no one will be left to play it, because nobody wants to spend years trying to get items then have them be dumbed down and rendered worthless, even if it's balanced.

Is there any chance of having a focus effect that is 1% spell crit per rank? Because that would be cool and just turn it into another focus instead of a stat that can be stacked.

I doubt that this approach would be considered given that there are already several focus effects centered around adding crit chances to heals and/or detrimentals, most of which seem to come with their own stacking issues anyway:
I'm not sure what the alternative is, though if the official word is that the DPS increase caused by Channeling's old functionality was out of line with the "server vision," then I find it unlikely that the staff will want to resurrect the crit bonuses elsewhere.

(On the off chance that the staff are looking for an alternative way to boost spell crit chances, there's always the specialization system, which is "useless" after a player reaches level 65 with 300 AAs....)

Does this mean we can expect +Channeling mods to be re-allocated to more items now that this overcap bonus will no longer be "broken," similar to how Spell Ward's change was carried out? With how ordinary this skillmod is now, tiers 1 through 9 and 11 could probably do with a bit of attention if the stat is to be added to new (in other words, old) items.

this is the only question i would have, also maybe what the base 'chance to cast through stun' percentage per channeling point would be.

also the only problem with March to Strife is that the graphic is a drum, but when you hold it, it looks like a flute, otherwise perfect.

already several focus effects centered around adding crit chances to heals and/or detrimentals

You know I bet if these were actually balanced and centered around various tiers they could replace channeling. As long as the various focuses stack with your charm.

gees Eams you sound like people play games to have fun, you're silly we all know its about balance before anything thing like morale or fun.

sheer1 said:
not to go too off topic in this thread, but is it possible to have channeling be extra damage/healing on crits? like 1 channeling is 1% extra damage when the spell/heal crits.

I like this idea of having channeling increased damage/healing on crits, but I think it would be more consistent to be placed in a new focus effect.

Suggestion: Change items with channeling to a new focus effect that increases the healing & damage of critical spells.
Example:
Focus X 1: Increase the damage and healing of crits by 2%.
Focus X 2: Increase the damage and healing of crits by 4%.
Focus X 3: Increase the damage and healing of crits by 6%.
Focus X 4: Increase the damage and healing of crits by 8%.

Last edited:
If we're doing focus effects, why not make it so it will allow non wizards have a small chance to do ultimate blasts, and boost wizards ability to do primal blasts? If the % caps out at 4% or 5% it won't be terribly common, but would be fun to see every now and then.

Also an equivalent for heals, but I don't play healers.

Because that would be standing on wizard toes. Not even just stepping on them, but standing with full weight.

I really like that idea even if it was 1-5% chance to ult. Wizards still get more chance to ult and can primal.

Because that would be standing on wizard toes. Not even just stepping on them, but standing with full weight.

And the Academy Award for most dramatic performance in 20 words of less on a game forum goes to... [drumroll] Nwaij! Nwaij wins again!

Wizards are in a really good place on SoD and other people doing a little more damage is miles from a change that would jeopardize that. Give Druids some decent raid ports (which they do not have because...), Necro dots and Mage pets a piece of the ultimate/primal action (which thy do not have because...), other classes built-in free mana regen like Arcane Echos, more classes aggro loss second only to FD minus the potential xp penalty, and three fairly good class tomes (short list) then you can start saying Wizards are having their toes stepped on. Tinfoilingly, it almost seems as though Wizards have received preferential treatment on this server Wiz founded with the many Wizard playing staff.

Back
Top Bottom