NVIDEA Clipping Bug and Radeon Target Ring Bug Fix!

I have the issue Daffie. When in Spires, on bridge where Experiment spawns my Target Ring is on the ceiling of the zone most of the time. Crazy.

That is interesting. The target ring clearly seems to be there, just appearing in the wrong place.

Just some totally random question:

Back in the day I was using a desktop PC with a NVidia card (forgot which, doesn't matter) and had the clipping buff and borked graphics in general.

Nowadays I'm using a laptop with a NVidia 720M chip.
The game reads this as Intelchip (Any idea why that might be so?) and I have no problems at all.

I know that you can edit your game.dll to tell the game you are using a different graphic chip to circumvent certain restrictions (Only AMD/NVidia chips for certain games for example). Anyone knows, if this is the reason for this?

I did this tonight actually. I followed directions from the original post - step by step. The only thing I had to do differently was download a newer version of the program. I ran it as an admin and had no problems at all. For those interested in two-boxing with this fix, I just made a change to the original .bat file that the author of the original post made.

This is what my .bat file looks like inside (note: your file locations MAY NOT BE THE SAME AS MINE):

@echo off
start "eqgame" "C:\Program Files (x86)\SoD\eqgame.exe" patchme
exit

Essentially it runs two clients as soon as I click RUN on the 3d Analyzer and then closes the .bat window immediately. Once both clients have been launched, you can simply close the 3d Analyzer program and enjoy your target rings. I've had no troubles with this at all. Good luck!

I did this tonight actually. I followed directions from the original post - step by step. The only thing I had to do differently was download a newer version of the program. I ran it as an admin and had no problems at all. For those interested in two-boxing with this fix, I just made a change to the original .bat file that the author of the original post made.

This is what my .bat file looks like inside (note: your file locations MAY NOT BE THE SAME AS MINE):

@echo off
exit

Essentially it runs two clients as soon as I click RUN on the 3d Analyzer and then closes the .bat window immediately. Once both clients have been launched, you can simply close the 3d Analyzer program and enjoy your target rings. I've had no troubles with this at all. Good luck!

Was hopeful, but they're still not eqw clients so the issue remains. *Dreams of 3.0*

I have been trying to fix this graphics bug by editing the game files so that I will not have to run the 3danalyzer program.
I think I have found a solution but it requires hex editing one of the game's DLL files.

EQGfx_Dx8.dll
Offset: 55C72
Old Value: 83 E0 C0
New Value: 90 90 90

I used HxD hex editor to make those changes to the EverQuest graphics DLL and the graphics bug seems to be fixed.
The only problem is that the targetting ring is no longer visible.
I have tested this change with and without EQW and it is working for me.

thank you so much for this. It fixed my nvidia bug. I never had a targetting ring on this computer, but this is really nice being able to see what's goin' on again

No screenshot for you, Daffie but I can confirm it worked for my client too. No more nvidia bug, now just no 3D ring. Would rather have the no 3D ring than the other bug. :D

I have been messing around with this some more and was able to fix my 3D target ring too.
I have only tested this with an NVIDIA card on Windows 7, no guarantees that it won't crash your client.

This is the new way that I edit the DLL:
EQGfx_Dx8.dll

Offset: 54AA8
Old Value: 75 18
New Value: 90 90

Offset: 31D5A
Old Value: 0F 84 70 01 00 00
New Value: 90 90 90 90 90 90

Offset: 4FBCB
Old Value: 0F 84 08 02 00 00

If you already edited your DLL, you will probably need to change this offset back to normal:
Value: 83 E0 C0

I recommend keeping a backup of the original file.

EDIT:
If you are wanting to know what this does exactly:
The first offset tells EverQuest your card does not support TnL which I believe forces everything to be rendered by the CPU to fix the graphics glitch.
In your dbg.txt, you should see something like 'Forcing No TnL' and 'Using Software Vertex processing'.
The second and third offsets skip past checks if TnL is enabled which seems to force the client to draw the 3D target ring.

eEgWeuU.png

Last edited:
Sodquester2 you are awesome sauce. Also thanks for the explanation. I had been wondering. :)

Is the last one for 4FBCB suppose to be on the next line?

Last edited:
A point of note, the 3d target ring does exist for radeon cards, but is drawn far below the target for some reason. Saw this in Sorc's lab, had my alt targeted as he went up the stairway inside the castle, about a third of the way up, the target ring appeared on normal ground. I have no idea if there is a way (in the file) to re-tell it where to draw the ring to fix it that way.

Sodquester2 you are awesome sauce. Also thanks for the explanation. I had been wondering. :)

Is the last one for 4FBCB suppose to be on the next line?

Not sure what you mean by the next line but for the offset '4FBCB', I replace values '0F 84 08 02 00 00' with '90 90 90 90 90 90'. The new values are what you need to make it work.

A point of note, the 3d target ring does exist for radeon cards, but is drawn far below the target for some reason. Saw this in Sorc's lab, had my alt targeted as he went up the stairway inside the castle, about a third of the way up, the target ring appeared on normal ground. I have no idea if there is a way (in the file) to re-tell it where to draw the ring to fix it that way.

Not sure if I can fix it for ATI Radeon since I do not have a way to test it.
For the second and third offsets, if I only replace the second one (31D5A), the target ring moves around ahead of me when I move and it goes up and down in the air when I rotate the camera around in third person. It only works properly when I use both the second and third offsets.

I applied these changes with an ATI card (ATI mobility radeon HD 4570) and I got MY TARGET RING BACK.
Haven't tested in real game situations and only logged in.

I have been messing around with this some more and was able to fix my 3D target ring too.
I have only tested this with an NVIDIA card on Windows 7, no guarantees that it won't crash your client.

This is the new way that I edit the DLL:
EQGfx_Dx8.dll

Offset: 54AA8
Old Value: 75 18
New Value: 90 90

If you already edited your DLL, you will probably need to change this offset back to normal:
Value: 83 E0 C0

I recommend keeping a backup of the original file.

EDIT:
If you are wanting to know what this does exactly:
The first offset tells EverQuest your card does not support TnL which I believe forces everything to be rendered by the CPU to fix the graphics glitch.
In your dbg.txt, you should see something like 'Forcing No TnL' and 'Using Software Vertex processing'.
The second and third offsets skip past checks if TnL is enabled which seems to force the client to draw the 3D target ring.

eEgWeuU.png

How did you go about even figuring this stuff out? Like where did you start..

Holy fuck! You are my hero, and should get a ton of fame!

I have an old ATI card with the target ring issue. I changed the second and third offset from your post using HxD free text editor because you cans 'control + g' and go to the specific offset by searching. (I had to download from cnet since the FTP download was corrupt).

I haven't played, just logged in, but check out these screen shots!!!!

NoTargetRing.jpg

FixedTargetRing.jpg

Last edited:
What's up with my images not showing up in the post? They show up in the edit post screen...

Back
Top Bottom