May 2015 Account Drive!

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
With Woldaff's blessing, we're gonna do an account drive, yay.

A quick poll of online folks earlier suggested late May would be ideal for folks. Does this sound ok, or does anyone have a better idea?

Details to follow.

Can we coincide this with a launch of 2.5? I don't know if that's reasonable to finish by May, but if we could get a new client, EQ-Emu listing, and account drive all out at once, it would be like a thousand Christmases at once - also every old player in the universe would come back for that.

meh.ro5158.gif

my own account drive got an entire guilds worth of members back. good luck beating me.

Man, at this point you could probably open a Kickstarter for 2.5. Post the milestones you need to accomplish and let folks put $$$ for bounties on each.

have a pregnant wife and a kid. you tell me if you'd continue playing or not. i still hover around mumble brah
Happy wife, happy life! I was just giving you shit.

also my account drive got people to keep playing after it was over. SOD account drives die when the exp is gone.
No joke, goons is thriving. We've had to sit people on raids at times because too many people show up. There are actually dudes to xp/farm/quest with too. This is a long way from where we were a year and a half ago, when I was literally the only guy on in guild (or 1-2 other people pop in/out.) You did a really good job of getting guys involved and keeping many of the dudes motivated. Since your baby factory has been up and running, the other goon SoD raid vets have done a great job of continuing that trend.

We can only hope the server account drives ends half as well. The key is to have a ton of new guys show up and level up together, and have the vets work together to groom and integrate them into the raid scene.

How much do you suppose it'd cost to flat out hire a few people to finish 2.5? Just curious kickstarting that if it ware possible might be our best bet.

The skillset is highly specialized, not to mention having to have an in-depth knowledge of the emu protocols, differences between clients, how SoD is unique, etc. It's just not realistic.

How much do you suppose it'd cost to flat out hire a few people to finish 2.5? Just curious kickstarting that if it ware possible might be our best bet.
$50-$100 an hour to hire an american. I can't estimate the hours because I'm not part of the project. I would venture to guess that our small community can't afford it.

VIA hiring a contractor:

I'm a software developer that works on 1 fairly specialized, large product. When we hire new developers at our company the first month is training code, then for 3 months they work on stuff that is mostly throw-away now. We used to have new developers do "real work" the first 3 months and it ended up being that if their code submissions weren't meticulously monitored, they would end up doing more harm than good, causing more work overall than if they did nothing. After maybe 1 year, a developer is useful. The point is that once they got to know the system they became an asset.

I assume it's something similar with the SoD code base. Who knows how many hacks, documented and un-documented, how many different developer coding standards are there that would prevent a short term developer who has never seen the system from doing anything positive at all.

I think they just need a few more committed, long-term developers.

VIA hiring a contractor:

I'm a software developer that works on 1 fairly specialized, large product. When we hire new developers at our company the first month is training code, then for 3 months they work on stuff that is mostly throw-away now. We used to have new developers do "real work" the first 3 months and it ended up being that if their code submissions weren't meticulously monitored, they would end up doing more harm than good, causing more work overall than if they did nothing. After maybe 1 year, a developer is useful. The point is that once they got to know the system they became an asset.

I assume it's something similar with the SoD code base. Who knows how many hacks, documented and un-documented, how many different developer coding standards are there that would prevent a short term developer who has never seen the system from doing anything positive at all.

I think they just need a few more committed, long-term developers.

Kind of a derail, but are you getting guys out of college or 5-10+ year vets? I'm just curious because I have found things to be similar, but not throw away similar.

Back
Top Bottom