May 2015 Account Drive!

also my account drive got people to keep playing after it was over. SOD account drives die when the exp is gone.

Yup. I humbly suggest that whatever metric this account drive uses extends the DURATION instead of the INTENSITY of the xp bonus. All that a 200% (or whatever) xp bonus does is remind people of just how slow (in the grande scheme of 1-65 + AAs + tomes) xp is on this server is when the bonus goes away. A longer lasting bonus gives more time for people to get involved or find a guild or catch the fever or whatever.

On a related note, during an account drive or immediately after the account drive would be a really awesome time to test tweaking the way group xp works to reward larger groups. This idea has been brought up many times in the past and always gets positive feedback. Change xp received to something like:

1 / 6 : 100% xp
2 / 6 : 50% xp
3/ 6 : 55% xp
4 / 6 : 60% xp
5 / 6 : 65% xp
6 / 6 : 75% xp (extra 5% full bonus)

This would encourage being social (which would hopefully give reasons to stick around after the account drive) and dragging along that newb lfg in ooc instead of looking at a empty group spots while that newb gets so addicted to minesweeper that they don't even log into SoD anymore. It would also help immensely with the fairly common perception that this server is a huge ugly unappealing mountain of xp to climb.

Last edited:
Im curious, can drops rates be boosted globally? would be nice to have a 100% exp / 2x drop rates for a week or 2.

Im curious, can drops rates be boosted globally? would be nice to have a 100% exp / 2x drop rates for a week or 2.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, the vast majority of named NPCs in SoD will always drop something 100% of the time. The four-item loot table on Gathur, Champion of Zarad in Crystal Caverns, for instance, might look something like the following:
  • Gathur's Doomscorn Bauble - 40%
  • Idol of the Exiled - 15%
  • Shadow Dwarf Mauler - 40%
  • Vial of Frozen Shadow Dwarf Blood - 5%
    • Total Chance to Get Something - 100%
Since Gathur, like most non-raid named NPCs, is coded to drop one piece of his unique loot each kill, killing him will always guarantee you something. So, what do you mean by doubling drop rates when the chance of getting a named loot is already 100% for typical nameds? Do you mean allowing double loots (as in finding both an Idol of the Exiled and a Shadow Dwarf Mauler on a single Gathur kill)? If you mean temporarily rebalancing percentages so that rarer items become more common, I imagine this would be far too much trouble for the staff to want to consider. :confused:

But on a similar note, why not double or even triple world drop rates during the account drive? It is always fun to see those pop up in OOC, and they can definitely give lowbies an unexpected surprise during the long grind to 65. Even after all these years, there are some items I've never seen beyond the wiki!

Unless I'm misunderstanding your point, the vast majority of named NPCs in SoD will always drop something 100% of the time. The four-item loot table on Gathur, Champion of Zarad in Crystal Caverns, for instance, might look something like the following:
  • Gathur's Doomscorn Bauble - 40%
  • Idol of the Exiled - 15%
  • Shadow Dwarf Mauler - 40%
  • Vial of Frozen Shadow Dwarf Blood - 5%
    • Total Chance to Get Something - 100%
Since Gathur, like most non-raid named NPCs, is coded to drop one piece of his unique loot each kill, killing him will always guarantee you something. So, what do you mean by doubling drop rates when the chance of getting a named loot is already 100% for typical nameds? Do you mean allowing double loots (as in finding both an Idol of the Exiled and a Shadow Dwarf Mauler on a single Gathur kill)? If you mean temporarily rebalancing percentages so that rarer items become more common, I imagine this would be far too much trouble for the staff to want to consider. :confused:

But on a similar note, why not double or even triple world drop rates during the account drive? It is always fun to see those pop up in OOC, and they can definitely give lowbies an unexpected surprise during the long grind to 65. Even after all these years, there are some items I've never seen beyond the wiki!

That's why i said i didn't know how the eq source code worked. I know wow source code is different and you can modify values globally, basically you can set loot anywhere from 0 - 200% (ETC) but yeah double loots, meaning everything, every mob would drop double the items, including bosses. Sure it would be crazy and people would be getting rich but its not permanent and it would be something different that might draw in a new crowd of people.

Also imagine the raiding scene if this were to happen, double the loot = crazy raiding, i could see multiple guilds fighting over spires and ruj spawns.

Also imagine the raiding scene if this were to happen, double the loot = crazy raiding, i could see multiple guilds fighting over spires and ruj spawns.

PoDoN.jpg

WTB Class 3 and 4 newbie account mentoring program. Sponsor a noob and teach him to poopsock on double exp week - get a free rank 3/4 class tome of your choice!

Is increasing the tome drop rate an easy undertaking? Without knowing the details of how it works that sounds like it could be a really easy, but boring, task or a real pain in the ass. Either way probably not one easily done then undone shortly thereafter. Don't get me wrong, I am all for tome rates being higher for the account drive and in general (and class3 tomes being make tradeable?) because what's the point in giving people fewer reasons to log into this low population server?

What about a mega lotto where after the charm, race change, etc... have a dozen "Bag o' Tomes" prizes (which is exactly what it sounds like) and another dozen "Class 3 of Choice" prizes?

Is increasing the tome drop rate an easy undertaking? Without knowing the details of how it works that sounds like it could be a really easy, but boring, task or a real pain in the ass. Either way probably not one easily done then undone shortly thereafter. Don't get me wrong, I am all for tome rates being higher for the account drive and in general (and class3 tomes being make tradeable?) because what's the point in giving people fewer reasons to log into this low population server?

What about a mega lotto where after the charm, race change, etc... have a dozen "Bag o' Tomes" prizes (which is exactly what it sounds like) and another dozen "Class 3 of Choice" prizes?

Anything that is database settings which are changed once, are easily undone. Script is created on during the original change process, and then you just script the original data back in when the drive is over.

Back
Top Bottom