May 2015 Account Drive Has Begun!

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
Folks,

As promised, we're doing a donation/account drive, starting...NOW!

We're going to open up the "donation special" part of the donation site this evening - when you make that type of donation, you will be granted fame (2 fame per dollar up to 100, 1 fame per dollar after that). This money is used to help boost our server population through ads and other means - it's not part of the ongoing operation. So every little bit helps!

We're going to have a LOT going on over the next few weeks, this is but the first step. We will be running events (some players are even running some, like Deein's Twitch feed). If you have an idea, drop us a line in IRC, petition or email.

Once we've had donations running for a bit, we'll start buying ads, and start doing some cool giveaways and such. There will be new things this year, so stay tuned to this thread for the latest.

This is one of the most enjoyable things for us to do, I hope everyone has fun. Please help welcome new people to the server, show them a good time, maybe make a lowbie to help guide them through the game, give away some old BOE gear, whatever you like. Like I said, every bit helps.

We look forward to the next few weeks! More details forthcoming.

-t

I think people want to know how to increase exp dollars

Last edited:
I'm still working on the exact formula for exp increase. The general consensus in the community is that a more sustained exp increase at a lower percentage is preferable to a burst of say a week at 200% or something. I tend to agree with that. Like I said, I'm still working out the specifics.

I'm glad to see this underway! :D I have a couple questions though:
  1. Do account drive donations also grant donator status to two accounts like usual donations?
  2. Can we expect "guaranteed" donation rewards similar to the last account drive (Fall '13), such as a Box of Angry Halflings for $75 or a Digested Hexdoll for $200? I gather from the OP that there will be lottery-style giveaways as in past years (e.g. Lucky Charm of Power, a race change), but I don't see any mention of guaranteed rewards. (The full list of prizes I'm referencing from the 2013 drive can be seen here.)
$900 titles? $1400 race changes? Yes and yes.
Hey, you commented on the exact same thing a year and a half ago! (Not that I disagree. o_O)
Kind of stingy on the fame, yeah? $1,400 Race changes even being a possibility is sadder than breaking your glasses in a strip club parking lot.

Please make race changes cheaper i'll totally buy one

I think this is true of a lot of fame stuff, but the whole system is just crazy. It is difficult to earn fame and when you do it is in pauper's amount and everything costs 2-4 times anything approaching reasonable.

Hypothetical:

Every dollar given to SoD earned fame no matter when it is given (extra donor perk) AND the price of a race change is cut in half. That would mean PLATINUM donors could race change every 30 months... does that sound amazingly OP or broken? Two and a half years of supporting the server for one race change. If anything that still sounds pretty damn stingy, and that is a 50% cost reduction and massively increasing the amount of fame flying around.

/tiredtiradeoff

Anyhow, account drives are exciting. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The account drive is a great success so far, as seen in this pic:
AccountDriveIsAGreatSuccess_zpsyue7sufq.png

Just a thought.... isn't this year technically the 10 year anniversary of SOD? When I started it was Winter's Roar, but I'm fairly certain it was summer of 2005 when the name changed to Shards Of Dalaya ushering in a whole lot more changes to the lore, etc. TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY DRIVE YO! Wow how time flies...

I will echo the sentiments of the fame to donation dollar ratio - It would be a bit better if there was more fame awarded. In all my years here I think I have 100 fame on one toon and maybe 50 on another? It's so rare that it would seem you could tie it into the regular monthly donations. Looking at the fame list it's not like something could be horribly unbalanced by someone being able to cash in their fame every few years for something worthwhile.

Crate event last night was cool though. Was nice to see a mob of people together outside of raids. :)

More events will be forthcoming, including at least one other crate event for those who missed it. :)

I also got approval for a new golden beast-style event that the entire server will enjoy. I guarantee it will be worth your while.

Did anybody get death touched during the crate event last night? Didn't see any. I am disappoint.

I didn't see anyone death touched. It seemed to really be mostly benevolent and at the very worst people got a few gimmicky items of limited usefulness. Some walked away with thousands of xp, a few hundred plat, treasure maps, etc. It was quick and people got some free stuff. What's not to like? :)

i got an ed map and and have and i have a crumbling time to do them and get people some phats

Back
Top Bottom