2.5 Go-Live - PLEASE READ

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
This is very, very important. Every player should familiarize themselves with the 2.5 cutover process, as 2.0 is going away. 2.5 is not optional.

I do not know what the exact date will be, but it's coming up very fast here. We're rolling forward 2.0 changes, fixing a few last crash bugs we know about, then we're gonna try it. As I mentioned, it will be rough, and we ask your patience.

ALL PLAYERS NEED TO READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

Before 2.5 Do's
  • Do set up a copy of 2.5. Do it now. If you run into issues, it will be WAY easier to help you now rather than once we're live and there are 50,000 things going on. See the FAQ (bottom of this page) for details on how, but a quick summary is: copy your 2.0 folder, get the new patcher from https://shardsofdalaya.com/patcher25/sodpatcher.exe and patch the game. Make sure you can launch it - as long as you can get to server select (even if it's down), your game works.
  • Do check your AAs and Tomes on Fomelo. We will be using this tool primarily to handle discrepancies at go-live.
  • Do join #25Testing in IRC to ask 2.5-specific questions
  • Do ask Taryth's Little Helper in cities in 2.0 and 2.5 (when I get him placed) about 2.5 questions.
  • Do consider testing in-game to see how it works. The client changes are significant. You need to re-buy AAs and set up your UI. This takes time.
Before 2.5 Don'ts
  • Don't wait until the last minute to get set up. Staff resources will be extremely limited come go-live.
  • Don't ask questions that have been answered many times before. Check out the FAQ: https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/2-5-faq.29910/. Not to be a dick, but if you ask something that has been answered in the FAQ, we will just ignore it. I'm sorry to be a knob, but we just don't have the bandwidth, that's why I made a FAQ.
  • Don't complain in 2.0 public channels about how something in broken. IRC/forums are the place to get things resolved.
  • Don't petition 2.5 issues in 2.0.
2.5 Live Do's
  • Do make sure your inventory looks accurate. If something is missing, /petition it and we will get it ASAP. If you say nothing is in your bags, we will close the ticket and yell to look at the FAQ - this is the most frequently asked question (hint: click Experiment and/or set the Right Click Tradeskill option in Alt-O)
  • Do verify your AA count. There is a chance there will be a discrepancy - please let us know if this happens. Don't panic, we can resolve it.
  • Do check to make sure your spells and everything else are present. I suggest testing them out of significant combat to make sure you are aware of any problems.
  • Do /bug issues you encounter. We will be setting up a "common bugs" post upon going live - we ask you check there to make sure you're not reporting an already well-documented issue, but I'd rather have the report than not.
  • Do petition things that require immediate attention. For example, missing items, critical mobs malfunctioning, dupes, zone crashes you caused, usual petition issues like disputes, etc. If it's something you think needs correction right now, petition and we'll figure out if it's a now-or-later issue.
2.5 Live Don'ts
  • Don't have more than 2 boxes. As soon as we're live, the 2-box rule is in effect.
  • Don't exploit broken stuff. If you accidentally found an exploit, please report it, you won't get in trouble. :) If you intentionally exploit it and don't tell us, you will lose the loot and may be jailed/banned depending on the severity. Take this seriously. Protect yourself, report exploits. Please. It makes for a better game.
  • Don't repeatedly attempt to reproduce crash or dupe issues. You can retry something that may crash a zone if no one else is in there, otherwise it's just disruptive. Only reproduce a dupe if a dev/GM has given you permission to do so. We will be doing periodic dupe sweeps, I don't want this to be a problem. Dupes and crashes are definitely petitionable.
  • Don't petition things that don't need a resolution right away. Examples include not being able to complete a quest you're working on, mundane mobs misbehaving, etc. That's a perfect time to use /bug.
  • Don't clog up /ooc and other public channels with gripes. If you have a problem that players might know, great, ask away. But saying "man this sucks" is not helpful and makes it harder to sort stuff out. It's going to suck in the short term, everyone knows this, no need to aggravate the situation. If it's a matter that staff can help with, ask!
  • Don't send direct tells to staff unless they say it's ok. Sadly we're going to be very busy I predict, and thus we can't be as open as we sometimes are. This will get better with time, just please understand we're swamped.
  • Don't do things on 2.5 you wouldn't do on 2.0 with respect to rules. The rules have not changed.
  • Don't complain about UI issues unless it's the default UI. We don't have time to debug peoples' UIs, if you use something custom, you're on your own.
  • Don't talk about how 2.0 was better. It's very disheartening to put in years worth of work and hear stuff like that. 2.0 is not better. 2.5 just needs to stabilize, which will likely take a couple of months. Our goal is to get people playing and used to the new systems, not have everything at 100% on day 1.
Check back here for more go-live information including dates.

Finally, please stay current on the FAQ. This will be critically important going forward:

https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/2-5-faq.29910/

By the gods, we're literally at the door now! Can't wait. :)

-t

Last edited:
Okay so I am working on getting all of the pre-2.5 thing you listed done. Most I should be able to figure out, but I am not gonna lie ... the following scares me:

Do think about writing down your inventory. There is a non-zero probability items will be lost, knowing exactly what they are will help you and us. Get screenshots of critical items if you are able, just in case.

Does that mean we should take a screen shot of each item, worn and in bags, for every character? I have been playing for 10 years and have a few alts so this could be an immense undertaking. Do we need in-game screenshots or will a fomelo screenshot be ok? Should we make sure the screenshots include augs such as giant/dragon faction augs, MQ augs, etc? I guess what I am looking for here is, what kind of evidence will be accepted here?

Okay so I am working on getting all of the pre-2.5 thing you listed done. Most I should be able to figure out, but I am not gonna lie ... the following scares me:

Does that mean we should take a screen shot of each item, worn and in bags, for every character? I have been playing for 10 years and have a few alts so this could be an immense undertaking. Do we need in-game screenshots or will a fomelo screenshot be ok? Should we make sure the screenshots include augs such as giant/dragon faction augs, MQ augs, etc? I guess what I am looking for here is, what kind of evidence will be accepted here?

if you want to guarantee that your items will be reimbursed then yes.

the 2.0 to 2.5 is such a huge change that bugs are bound to happen. I'm sure the database is backed up and they will only revert if a catastrophic bug happens.

Deein said it perfectly. So in theory, all our 2.0 data will be available and we will have access to the game in its frozen state when 2.5 goes live. Personally, what I am doing too is making sure I capture my rare items and have evidence of them just in case something goes wrong. It's much easier for staff to reimburse that way.

Will this be needed? Highly likely not, but if it's MY loot, I'm not taking any chances. :)

when I type the petition command and enter the petition and hit enter it opens up a window doe SOE support I guess and the petition does not show as if it was entered. I will like to petition some stuff I found in 2.5.

'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' - me, when i think about 2.5 going live all the time

when I type the petition command and enter the petition and hit enter it opens up a window doe SOE support I guess and the petition does not show as if it was entered. I will like to petition some stuff I found in 2.5.

/bug

insert problems

The petition thing is a problem with our fancy workaround. We had it changed at one time, I just need to see what happened to it. There is some other goofy command (/guidehelp?) that acts like petition, but don't bother really, we'll get the real one fixed soon enough.

And yes, for issues uncovered, chances are /bug is a better choice as it is a permanent record of the problem. /petition counts on us reading and remembering, which is a poor bet.

New patcher - hopefully works for XP and all other users as well. Supports EQEmu login (when we're ready), disabling sound, and not carrying around a massive DirectX executable when you don't need it.

https://shardsofdalaya.com/patcher25/sodpatcher.exe

Still doesnt work for xp.
I get an "unhandled excpetion error" box,paste and copy from details gives this :

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Path cannot be the empty string or all whitespace.
at System.IO.Directory.CreateDirectory(String path)
at patcherv2.MainForm.DoPatching(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
sodpatcher
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///F:/SoD25/sodpatcher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///E:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

windows 7, 64

So here's my deal. It doesn't work because of this:

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Item has already been added. Key in dictionary: 'patcherv2.IniParser+SectionPair' Key being added: 'patcherv2.IniParser+SectionPair'
at patcherv2.IniParser..ctor(String iniPath)
at patcherv2.ClientIni.WriteSectionIfNeeded(String strPath, String strFile, String strSection, String strKey, String strValue)
at patcherv2.EQClientIni.WriteSectionIfNeeded(String strPath, String strSection, String strKey, String strValue)
at patcherv2.MainForm.DoPatching(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18331 built by: FX45GDRSTAGE
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
sodpatcher
Assembly Version: 1.1.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.1.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/sod_2/sodpatcher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

ISSUE SOLVED BY DELETING *.INI IN SOD DIRECTORY.

Last edited:
Tried to install the 2.5 patcher, followed the instructions to make a new file with a new name, saved the new patcher over the old (the most recent one from later in the thread) and cannot get it to run. I've tried straight double clicking and also run as administrator. Running Windows 7 professional. Error is a box that says sodpatcher.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error. To run this application, you first must install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: v4.030319 Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET framework.

Sorry, I would IRC but I can't install that at work :)

Possibly, but without asking the tech guys I'm likely dead in the water if someone doesn't know the workaround. I'll try to hop in IRC tonight if I can and ask around for a fix. Thanks for the infos!

having issues with the first patcher link on win10 causing it to hang in run limbo, the second link to patcher in Taryth replies worked fine though.

Back
Top Bottom