Classes needed

duongkhue84

Dalayan Beginner
Greetings all! hope to be seeing you all in game soon sitting at work with nothing to do so checking out the site and forums. Was wondering what classes the high end guilds would be looking for atm? I played a shaman all the way to elementals in one of the top guilds on my server and am looking to do so again and further :) I have a friend im dragging over also who played a bard to about the same as me and one of the best bards i have ever met. Whether or not he plays a bard when he comes over is at this point not discerned but he is checking the site out and gonna get back to me about it.
I have played a monk to 54, a rogue to 49, shaman to 65, and messed around with many other classes. I consider myself to be a quick learner and can adapt to strats and work well under pressure.

Knowing what time zone the two of you are playing in might help. (Euro times? US times? Asia times?)

Here's a pretty good summary of this written almost 2 years ago. The original post is very informative and a lot of good debate/explanation there too.
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/class-rankings.29392/
It's still pretty accurate but I would add:
-Beastlords have gotten a round of buffs so they're no longer garbage.
-SoD raids have a maximum of 18 people with a maximum of 3 classes in the raid. Certain classes with utility (mages for summoning, rogues for scouting, bsts for cunning) are good to have 1 in the raid, but having more than 1 in the raid is generally inefficient. Rangers, then wizards are probably the most versatile dps that you could have 3 in a raid and perform will in nearly every raid situation. Being ranged and having good burst is very versatile.
-Chanters scale off of other people's damage. So at the ultra-end they're amazing, but in terms of power they're all over the place, always useful to have 1 at least for sure.

IMO you cant go wrong with shaman its a solid choice and is always in demand.
Enchanters are always in demand.
after that Wizards Rangers Necros and clerics are usually in pretty high demand.
Druids seem to be a plenty most of the time but are also not a terrible choice.

After those its really kinda whatever you wanna play most people will play with you and let you join.

Here's a pretty good summary of this written almost 2 years ago. The original post is very informative and a lot of good debate/explanation there too.
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/class-rankings.29392/
It's still pretty accurate but I would add:
-Beastlords have gotten a round of buffs so they're no longer garbage.
-SoD raids have a maximum of 18 people with a maximum of 3 classes in the raid. Certain classes with utility (mages for summoning, rogues for scouting, bsts for cunning) are good to have 1 in the raid, but having more than 1 in the raid is generally inefficient. Rangers, then wizards are probably the most versatile dps that you could have 3 in a raid and perform will in nearly every raid situation. Being ranged and having good burst is very versatile.
-Chanters scale off of other people's damage. So at the ultra-end they're amazing, but in terms of power they're all over the place, always useful to have 1 at least for sure.
Mage utility is really lackluster (call of the hero, gruplok rods, pet silks. oh boy). Rogue utility is more from molten lead poison then being able to sneak hide imo, considering you can peek through walls and just /target stuff. Enchanters are amazing at just about anything that involves a full group or more.

In regards to the OP though, I'd play whatever class you enjoy the most that isnt a tank(war/pal/sk), a druid, or a mage. Mages suffer through a lot of the game due to MR/FR resistant mobs being common, long cast times, and inability to cast rains because of monsters being CC'd. Mages do get better at the very high tiers of the game, but rely heavily on class tomes (very finnicky random drops) to compete at end game. Even then, most people would rather just bring a wizard instead. Druids role on raid/6man is to heal, and healing on a druid is like fighting in a dream. You do everything really slowly and when the punches(heals) do connect they feel very weak and flimsy.

Really though as long as you put effort into you character and try your best not to blow at the game you should be fine playing a majority of the classes.

I would put BST into that mid-tier category from Solosolki's (RIP) post after the revamp. Pet curse similiar to chanter curses (but for your pet and anyone else's pet), the inversely proportional dps to mob hp stuff, dot dmg increase, mimic, etc definitely make this class useful for more than just cunning and savagery.

If you want to be fed loots, cleric, wiz, ranger, chanter.

If you want to have fun pushing buttons, bard, bst, shm, chanter.

If you want to quit immediately, play a tank.

I also had an immensely fun time lvling a necro/mage combo from lvl 1-65, but like others have said, mage gets the shaft when it comes to not being useful in a lot of things cause of their rare class tomes.

Regardless of what you choose, box a druid. While they may not be super useful at high-end raiding, having a porter as you lvl up, some sow/soe, and eventually ur own HP/regen buffbot is very useful.

What folks have said about mages is half the story. Unless you main a mage from low tier and bring it to *higher* tier you don't know the extent of the pain, the suffering, the tells for summons - you just don't know. /cries in a corner.

For the higher tier fights, rough guess is t9+ (would still include a lot of lower end content), mages can't rain when an enchanter is needed. Crowd control. Hooray. Class pet dps is gargabe compared to what the mage can dish out with rains assuming pet lives long enough and rains are..well..what rains?...oh, right, you can't rain...at all...in *too* many situations.

There are fights where you'd rather box in a wizard than bring in a main mage and do better dps.

Spend 25% of your mage play experience summoning stuff, 10% for summoning your pet and gearing it up.

Done ranting about mages, for now...

ultimately, play what you want to play because you want to, not because server or guilds require certain classes and you fulfill your desire to be needed.

if you want to play a tank and box a healer, go do that, then invite a bunch of people looking for groups to exp.
don't let people scare you away from what you may or may not want to do.

LightsoutFeat.png

Last edited:
Don't believe any of these people saying you should play whatever you want. Here are facts:

-You want to box. You may not know it yet, but will in a future past present tense sort of way. Even if you just have a wizard who ports you around (better than a druid because wizards are actually wanted) and maybe does killshots you will be waaaaaaay better off having two options endgame and the power that boxing affords.

-Some classes are more desirable endgame than others and it isn't even close. Are you a lvl 62 cleric wearing cloth armor who can only raid one time a week? = Guilds probably will take you and help you out and like you. Are you a level 65 tank with maxAA/full codex who can make every raid ever? = Mhhhh, do you box a cleric or shaman?

-As Pecman pointed out raids are 18 man with a 3 per class limit. Here is a quick and debatable/depends on content breakdown of classes:
Raid will gladly take more than 1: Cleric, Enchanter, Bard, Ranger, Wizard
Raid will want one but lets not get crazy here: Shaman, Druid, Beastlord, Monk, Necro
Raid doesn't give a shit if you show up so long as your role is covered: Warrior, Rogue, Mage, Shadowknight, Paladin

-All of the non-raid stuff you might want to do becomes leagues more manageable with raid gear. You want a muddy shield? You do. Well doing murk quests without raid gear solo and doing them with a geared box is night and day. You want an Athica neck? You do. Now do you want to single pull entrance mobs while lfg all day or clear the entire zone before repops?

Back
Top Bottom