Sequel to SoD - Input Requested

the game feels like everyone is tier 6 and some are tier 7. and then it stops. and new characters are made to repeat this vicious cycle.

Let's be honest, under the surface, I have legit points that you would normally agree with, but the fact that they come from an obnoxiously arrogant man-child and presented in an equally obnoxious, blunt, in your face way makes you disagree to save face. It's ok. I'm the hero society needs, not the one it wants. Someone has to fight the PC movement! #manchildsavesday

OPSEC! loljk. Everyone I work with lived and breathed the flightline for 20+ years. I'm considered tame and politically correct compared to everyone else. Sometimes you gotta call a pile of shit for what it is, there's no reason to waste time pussyfooting around trying to sound diplomatic and worrying that people will get offended.

maybe a treasure hunting class or merchant type that brings the ability to restock groups/raids with supplies or adds bonuses to loot/tradeskill mats and plat found. Would have to be able to do some form a limited dps for the slot it would take up in a group/raid. It could do something like find rare artifacts that offer group stats boosts or something. Have a larger inventory for supplies and looting. Limit one per group/raid. With the ability to restock supplies and regents it would let you rework mages a little so maybe they aren't just summoning stuff and could be more viable. I dunno sounds better in my head than i can put into words.

maybe a treasure hunting class or merchant type that brings the ability to restock groups/raids with supplies or adds bonuses to loot/tradeskill mats and plat found. Would have to be able to do some form a limited dps for the slot it would take up in a group/raid. It could do something like find rare artifacts that offer group stats boosts or something. Have a larger inventory for supplies and looting. Limit one per group/raid. With the ability to restock supplies and regents it would let you rework mages a little so maybe they aren't just summoning stuff and could be more viable. I dunno sounds better in my head than i can put into words.

Hopefully you're kidding.

Man you're still one of the biggest e-douchebags I've ever met. The guy throws out a unique idea and you waste 0 time shitting on it in your passive aggressive mean girl manner.

Thanks

unique != good

Last edited:
Thanks

unique != good
This. The idea has many flaws both in raw gameplay mechanics as well as the social aspect of playing with others. I could go into detail about why I think/feel this way but I assume its a joke. Its a cool class idea for a singleplayer game in which you control a party, like Final Fantasy or Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age, but not an MMORPG.

This. The idea has many flaws both in raw gameplay mechanics as well as the social aspect of playing with others. I could go into detail about why I think/feel this way but I assume its a joke. Its a cool class idea for a singleplayer game in which you control a party, like Final Fantasy or Baldurs Gate or Dragon Age, but not an MMORPG.

In a thread about brainstorming new ideas, it's not a good idea to be a petty little jerk to someone for throwing something new and unique out there. That was my point. If you want to shit on somebody's idea based on one very short outlining paragraph as a starting point for a possible new class / economy mechanic in a game that economy plays a huge role in, then you're just a douche.

A lot of good ideas in game design come from a compilation or bits and pieces of a lot of bad / lacking ideas that end up working well together.

Last edited:
I think the idea is just fine and would make a more formal method of something that occurs in most MMO's and every EQ variant I've played: player economy. the 'merchant' class doesn't have to be a raid viable class it could have a tool set tailored for tradeskills, extra vendor slots, it could double as the 'guild banker' most guilds have. They could generate reagents in cities, all sorts of things. It could be everyone's best alt. It could maybe go to an npc that only merchant class can activate/purchase from and get charges of SB buffs so it can load them for quick buffing or pre-raid setup utlity.

SoD, its been a long time. I recently started playing p99, very casually, and somehow I heard about this possibility.

Raids:
18 man raids sucked, always ended up being 9-12 people boxing. 12 man raids or even just 6 would be better. High end 6 man was great on SoD. The rewards were among the best in the game, and you had to have a very well oiled machine. The feeling of accomplishment was better 6 man vs raid. Six man also made some classes obsolete, and this would have to be addressed if raiding size was lower.

Instances are needed. Texting people at 3am to claim a raid zone was silly. If regular SoD had instanced raid zones, I'd be back tomorrow.

Buffs:
Buffs need to be more like bard songs. Each class could pick a number of buffs. People in their group/raid would receive the buffs. If you want enchanter buffs, you'd have to have an enchanter with you. I remember logging in each class, SBing the buffs, and rolling out with the "perfect" group.

Boxing:
I'm torn on boxing. Its great for casual play, ruins raids. Be great if boxing was prohibited in raid areas.

Class balancing:
IDK how to address this, but its one of the biggest problems with EQ/SoD. Maybe instead of classes you could have archetypes that led to specialization/skill trees. You could start as a generic tank, priest, int caster, or melee. Then your AA's would define your role, and you couldn't pick them all, like a skill tree.

I'm intrigued.

- What level limit?
- How can we make the game more fun for non-raiders? How do we accommodate different play styles better?
- Progression - what methods are most fun and how do they scale?
- Substories. There is one major overarching theme to the game (like Kaezul was in SoD), but other things will be long gone or forgotten. Vah quest won't be a thing anymore. Silver Crown and the like have long disbanded. Relationships built around the Kaezul struggle are largely a thing of the past. With all this - what else makes the world go round? What makes it interesting? One concept being floated at present is that it is the good guys who are the outcasts - various forms of evil-aligned groups run most things, and there's a lot of blending-in that needs to happen to get anything done if you are good-aligned. A significant thought in the game is allowing good to begin to retake some ground, through one-time quests, GM events, etc., but what else can we do here?
- Races and classes. IMO, one of the more uninteresting parts of SoD right now. I'm looking at a complete revamp - what are some of your ideas?

Level Limit: I'd say we should do a level 50 limit to start: this would give room for major updates(expansions) with level/aa increases as we progress!

Progression: I find the balance in SoD is fairly well done, until the end-game. What I would like to see is adepts/group content/raid content developed side-by-side per tier. Having tier 1 adept be 20% less powerful than tier 1 group which in turn is 20% less powerful than tier 1 raid gear, then releasing raid/group/adept tiers simultaneously from that point on. Yes this means that at a certain point adept/group would be more powerful than earlier raid tiers - but that isn't neccessarily a bad thing, as it would make the catchup to end-game more attainable for everybody.

Substories: Honestly SoD's lore was so good I can't really top it, waiting to see how you pull it off ;p

Race/Class: I'd like to see some more lore-based race-class combos: for example, in eq1 it always irked me that half elves couldnt be shadowknights, after all half dark elf is still half elf right?

Further Thoughts: Instancing! Using the /dz system preferably, for group and raid tiers.

Sorry guys, I think I killed the thread. On that note...

Here's a lore idea: what if... we LOST the war... the cities of dalaya were overrun by Kaezul's forces, after their armies were routed. Few civilians managed to escape the rapid onslaught, even fewer soldiers and mercenaries(hint: the adventurers of SoD, perhaps.... even a server event on SoD could be run as a kind of leadup to the SoD 2 launch!!!!), and they were driven underground into the dark places once occupied by the monsters who had crushed them so easily.

That was a thousand years ago. The Immortal God-Lich Kaezul rules Dalaya with an iron fist, his orcish heavy tanks, goblin and aviak scouts, sarnak enchanters... etc, etc - the bad guys of the world, kaezuls forces, now occupy the cities. A few dungeons, perhaps lower guk(or better yet one of the darkened guk zones from ldon access from lower guk - you get the idea) are now the crowded homes of the remaining Free Races.

So we go for three, deep dungeons as the new cities for the remaining races. Each city is ruled by a faction which was once either CoI, Blackscale or Silver Crown. All player races can choose any of the three cities as their starting city, and with enough faction work any player can be tolerated(make it say dubious max for non-home city?) within the other cities(but you start kos, the factions hated each other, the cities grew to as well).

Of course there are still some of the humans, elves, etc, et al living in Kaezulia - slaves descended from slaves for 1000 years.

So of course its the time to strike back, to push the evil forces away yada yada. This allows a lot of events to be run - a gm event where players besiege and re-capture newport for example? Or maybe an event where players defend blackscale lair(deepest guk? ;p) from invading kaezulian forces, and if they fail to.....

It kind takes SoD story and says "what if we got our @#%#$@ handed to us, and now its gonna be a thousand times harder to beat this guy in round two?"

you didn't kill the thread, the fact that it's on a SoD forum did that. The lead Dev gave up on SoD just like he did on this idea. I don't understand why people were even interested in this sequal, if he gave up on the first game, he'll do it again. In his defense- we all have great ideas, like loose weight, but then after a week or 2, we rarely commit to it. I understand having more important things IRL to do, but if you want the game you developed to still be there years later when you MIGHT have time/will to come back, than you should open up and let the community help fix the bugs. (I'm not one of them, but a few here from the forum have asked to help but aren't granted access)

Back
Top Bottom