Grink's Luclin Elementals

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
For DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD, skip to the GREEN TEXT below.

==========​

Remember those updated classic elementals by @Reppots? Now that I'm in the habit of using Luclin elementals these days, I decided to give a similar treatment to the newer elementals. Here's the new lineup:

xFHZ8OM.jpg

There are a few oddities with the Luclin elementals that make them difficult to retexture. For example, three of them (air, fire, and water) involve transparencies that are kind of a pain to work around, and all four have some oddly stretched meshes around the torso that make it impossible to avoid visible seams and warped lines. These set some limitations on what is achievable, but I did what I could and am proud to share them here in case others want to use them.

Here's a more detailed run-down...

==========
First up is earth:

UojPxNE.jpg

This fellow still features dirt and moss, but he also sports some gold bangles and a belt with an emerald belt buckle. He now has a mouth and less beady eyes. The gems protruding from his back, arms, and knuckles have been changed from dull amethysts to bright green emeralds.

==========
Next up is fire:

KCoS8nw.jpg

The original version looks more like a melting Creamsicle than the embodiment of fire! :rolleyes: I pulled some volcano textures from one of the newer zones to make his skin look like cracking lava. His chin was too pointy not to try a goatee on him, so now he wears one (and has matching eyebrows). His new horns stand out instead of using the same coloration as his body. He wears a red scalemail belt and bracers.

==========
Third in line is water:

tZ9qbm0.jpg

This might be the most dramatic departure from the originals. His head and body consist of water textures pulled from a newer zone, but his forearms go from water to wet sand for fists. He also wears a seashell belt. Finally, I changed the thick, blinding waterfall underneath him to a bubble jet.

==========
Last and certainly least is air:

QQI271O.jpg

While I'm not unhappy with this one, I'm not as happy as I am with the others. Unfortunately, when ^ that ^ is your starting point, there's only so much you can do. The model is forever slack-jawed, which is something I can't change. Most of his body uses transparencies, and taking them away in favor of some other texture makes it very hard to retain the "airy" look. His hair animation is also unavoidably dorky no matter what you do with it.

Despite this, I did what I could and came up with a result that I think beats the original. I toned down the transparencies a little, gave him a haircut, and threw some non-transparent Monk wraps around his fists and waist. I may end up revisiting this ugly duckling in the future, but I still say it's a passable improvement for now. :p

==========
If you'd like to use these updated Luclin elementals yourself, read on.
DIRECTIONS/DOWNLOAD
  1. Within your SoD directory, locate global5_chr.s3d and rename it as follows:
    • global5_chr.s3d > Old global5_chr.s3d
  2. If the following file exists, delete it:
    • global5_chr.wld.txc
  3. Download the following .zipfolder:
  4. Open the .zip folder and move the new global5_chr.s3d file into your SoD directory.
  5. Log in and confirm that it works.
Note: If you need to revert for some reason, delete the new global5_chr.s3d file and restore the name of the original file. Then repeat Step 2 (if applicable).​

==========
One or two confirmations that this works for others would be appreciated. Enjoy, fellow Dalayans! :)

Last edited:
Loaded a mage to test all of the elemental forms, and they do look good. Biggest improvement is probably the animated graphics like the waterfall, etc. not lagging behind the actual model.
I noticed that happens on quite a few items (Cella, Spear of Szithri, Jyre, etc.) and it's sometimes bothering.

10/10 will keep/use.

Loaded a mage to test all of the elemental forms, and they do look good.
Thanks for confirming it works. Glad you're enjoying them. ;)

On another note, I only just came to the realization that high-end tanks should love this mod because they spend about 90% of their lives in Creamsicle Fire Elemental form!

Okay, so I am in game, and now i want to have no other illusion other than Fire Elemental, this is amazing, thank you Grinkles for once again making SoD alittle bit better.

Did anyone ever think that maybe, instead of changing the minions, we really just needed a dev to flesh out the Plane of Creamsicles??

So cool , is there anything that can be done with werefrog illusion? Beyond fire elemental I think werefrog from ring of vengence and melwins idol of joy might be the most highly used in SoD.

Just don't take away the bow-shooting animations on Werefrog. Dunno why they exist, but they do and they are great.

==========
First up is earth:

UojPxNE.jpg

This fellow still features dirt and moss, but he also sports some gold bangles and a belt with an emerald belt buckle. He now has a mouth and less beady eyes. The gems protruding from his back, arms, and knuckles have been changed from dull amethysts to bright green emeralds.

==========

You're like the announcer for a runway show happening. Its perfect. =P

An amazing up-date Grinks, I love the looks! Something to look at while playing Tp.

Back
Top Bottom