Hail, an elephant

Renshu

Dalayan Elder
So before myself or others would consider coming back, the elephant in the room needs to be discussed. I wasn't around for 2.5, but there is a certain narrative out there:

Population had gone down considerably
Devs pressed for 2.5 to get on emu
2.5 launched and was a train wreck
Population problems got worse
Devs up a disappeared
Time passed
Devs show up again like nothing happened

Care to correct the narrative or explain what happened or more importantly why it won't happen in the future?

I don't know what happened before or what's happening later but I can say that right now there are a bunch of devs and staff members committed to making content and making it Work Good.

Now is a good time to get a piece of the action.

So before myself or others would consider coming back, the elephant in the room needs to be discussed. I wasn't around for 2.5, but there is a certain narrative out there:

Population had gone down considerably
Devs pressed for 2.5 to get on emu
2.5 launched and was a train wreck
Population problems got worse
Devs up a disappeared
Time passed
Some guy named Rymy showed up and fixed everything
Devs show up again like nothing happened
Fixed one part of your time line, eveything else was quite accurate

Here is my narrative.

Start in 2009-2010.
Get level 57.
Stop Playing.

Start again in 2015.
Enjoy game.

Population before 2.5 is starting to dwindle
Forum awash with "Lack of content destroying this game" "2.5 ever coming out?" "____ is killing the server"
2.5 test server is put up for several months but only like 5 people help test it.
Admin decide that the only way to ever get 2.5 in is to just bite the pillow and go in dry.
2.5 is practically unplayble for 2 to 3 weeks
Forums now awash with "2.5 is killing this server"
Staff work like fevered mad men to make the server playable and fun again.
2.5 works really well except for a few persistent bugs that are manageable if you follow a few commonly known fixes and procedures.
Many of their problems are caused by not upgrading their client like they were told. Scream and kick in /ooc like petulant children about how its the staff's fault.
People ignore these fixes and continue to be giant crybabies about the issues because they cant take responsibilities for themselves or follow direction.
Forums now a wash with "I loved this server but 2.5 sucks and I will never be back" forum posts are particularly abusive towards the staff.
Staff, worn down from the tons of work they have had to do to make the game enjoyable, succumb to IRL and fatigue from the abuse of players about things that were out of their control.
2.5 is totally playable and fun, many guild make good head way in progression while top tier guilds stop raiding and cry about how they can't raid because the game is unplayble.
Several high tier people quit. This leaves much of the rest of the high tier raiders fucked because they've been carried most of their raiding career. Forums erupt in whining.
Progress on server continues slowly and quietly by remaining staff who don't put much effort into keeping the player base informed.
Whining at legendary proportions, everyone seems to forget how terrible some 2.0 bugs were.
Forums consistently have someone who "quit and is never coming back" posting about how bad 2.5 is.Still haven't tried it since fist 2 weeks, just parroting what they read 3months ago, many of the bugs they are whining about are fixed or a non-issue.
Low staff creates a need for more help. Staff picks Rymy and a new age of progress dawns.
The knocking out of the remaining bugs and the sheer size of the work load Rymy is pumping out reminds the rest of the staff that when they arent putting out fires and being harassed by the player base that they got to do some really fun things they enjoyed. Many quietly start coming back.
Population of server begins to slowly grow again. More than just returning players, large chunks of new players are also coming to try the server.
While not as strong as in 2011, population is good and there are enough active t10-13 guilds to cause plenty of dicks to be stepped on.
New content released, unkilled monsters killed.
Old crybabies come back to forums to make stupid fucking posts, their attitude was not missed.

Population before 2.5 is starting to dwindle
Forum awash with "Lack of content destroying this game" "2.5 ever coming out?" "____ is killing the server"
2.5 test server is put up for several months but only like 5 people help test it.
Admin decide that the only way to ever get 2.5 in is to just bite the pillow and go in dry.
2.5 is practically unplayble for 2 to 3 weeks
Forums now awash with "2.5 is killing this server"
Staff work like fevered mad men to make the server playable and fun again.
2.5 works really well except for a few persistent bugs that are manageable if you follow a few commonly known fixes and procedures.
Many of their problems are caused by not upgrading their client like they were told. Scream and kick in /ooc like petulant children about how its the staff's fault.
People ignore these fixes and continue to be giant crybabies about the issues because they cant take responsibilities for themselves or follow direction.
Forums now a wash with "I loved this server but 2.5 sucks and I will never be back" forum posts are particularly abusive towards the staff.
Staff, worn down from the tons of work they have had to do to make the game enjoyable, succumb to IRL and fatigue from the abuse of players about things that were out of their control.
2.5 is totally playable and fun, many guild make good head way in progression while top tier guilds stop raiding and cry about how they can't raid because the game is unplayble.
Several high tier people quit. This leaves much of the rest of the high tier raiders fucked because they've been carried most of their raiding career. Forums erupt in whining.
Progress on server continues slowly and quietly by remaining staff who don't put much effort into keeping the player base informed.
Whining at legendary proportions, everyone seems to forget how terrible some 2.0 bugs were.
Forums consistently have someone who "quit and is never coming back" posting about how bad 2.5 is.Still haven't tried it since fist 2 weeks, just parroting what they read 3months ago, many of the bugs they are whining about are fixed or a non-issue.
Low staff creates a need for more help. Staff picks Rymy and a new age of progress dawns.
The knocking out of the remaining bugs and the sheer size of the work load Rymy is pumping out reminds the rest of the staff that when they arent putting out fires and being harassed by the player base that they got to do some really fun things they enjoyed. Many quietly start coming back.
Population of server begins to slowly grow again. More than just returning players, large chunks of new players are also coming to try the server.
While not as strong as in 2011, population is good and there are enough active t10-13 guilds to cause plenty of dicks to be stepped on.
New content released, unkilled monsters killed.
Old crybabies come back to forums to make stupid fucking posts, their attitude was not missed.

This is also how I remember it.

more importantly why it won't happen in the future?

Yeah, we want a 3 step plan announced how we can make sure this will never happen again, or we won't play ever again!....

If it isen't obvious, I didn't like this post.

Anyway, I guess a way to put your mind at ease, is to point out that this all rotated around this fact that you yourself state 'Devs pressed for 2.5 to get on emu'.
If there is no higher versions on the emu than this 2.5 we currently run, well then you can be sure this scenario wont happen again.

I don't know if thats the case or not though, perhaps some one here does...

Back
Top Bottom