Auction House

Bonk84

Dalayan Elder
Ok here it goes, first I will add in some background lore, and then explain my mechanics of the system.

"Erudin's finest court of Mages, Wizards, and Enchanters have finalized their plans to estabilish auction houses across Dalayian cities in an attempt to expand their trade borders. Using a teleportation stone, adventurers will be able to instantly teleport a rare treasure back to the auction house to be sold from anywhere, but this is not without risk! The stones require the use of the magic from the Mansion of Portals, and any unsold item will be returned badly damaged, possibly unusable!"

So I was thinking, players will be able to buy reagent stones (or simply have the players purchase a one time stone for X plat, or simply just take away from the proceeds like listsold, only with a higher % taken away), and whenever a dropable item is found, players can use the command to send it to a flagged npc in the cities to be placed upon a modified listsold system. This will be kept on the auction house for the duration set forth by the player, and only one or two items may be on the AH per player at a time. Items would be limited to armor and weapons.

Players will be able to check the NPC for the item's being sold by way of a /cmd listsold, and see what asking price set forth by the seller. Players will bid by silent auction, to avoid low price sniping.

To send an item, I thought you could hold the item on the curser, right click the stone and it will prompt you a command to type as well as record what item you have on the curser. like /cmd auction xxTime xxPlat. If the item sells in the time allowed, plat is returned to the sender, or if the item didn't sell, the item would be returned to the sender unenchanted.

This system would allow groups to auction loot as they get it, and not worry about auctioning it all at the end of the group to split, as well as players possibly getting a good bargain out of the process.

First of all, let me start with that Wiz said at several occasions that he doesn't like the concept of an auction house, cause the results are usually players undercutting each other in prices, thus ruining the market.

Second, I do not understand your restriction - why should this be limited to weapons/armor, what reason would be there to exclude tradeskillcomponents/tomes/jewelery/whatever from it?

Third, it is entirely possible to auction away loot on the spot under the current system, you just have to make the buyer aware that you are XPing atm and that he will have to be patient till you hit a bank again.

Hmm... it has been a while since someone started a "please can we have the bazaar or auction houses" thread.

They're bad, they ruin game economies, and they lower player interaction.

First of all, let me start with that Wiz said at several occasions that he doesn't like the concept of an auction house, cause the results are usually players undercutting each other in prices, thus ruining the market.

First, what does "ruining the market" actually mean?

If the problem is players undercutting, this won't be a problem unique to an AH. Players undercut all the time in the current system. If you're worried about a continuing drop in prices, that's not going to happen. With most dropable gear selling to vendors for a decent price, there are price floors on everything. The fear that an AH will cause prices to fall and fall is silly. They'll always be bounded by vendor prices. If prices are too low, just jack up vendor prices across the board. Or decrease drop rates. The developers can alter the prices of things if they're not to their liking.

An AH cuts transaction costs. Being able to search for prices would save a lot of player time.

Alas, the developers of the server see this as a worthwhile annoyance(player interaction). Which is okay with me since they're the ones that own the server. However, I'd wish they change their minds.

First, what does "ruining the market" actually mean?

If the problem is players undercutting, this won't be a problem unique to an AH. Players undercut all the time in the current system. If you're worried about a continuing drop in prices, that's not going to happen. With most dropable gear selling to vendors for a decent price, there are price floors on everything. The fear that an AH will cause prices to fall and fall is silly. They'll always be bounded by vendor prices. If prices are too low, just jack up vendor prices across the board. Or decrease drop rates. The developers can alter the prices of things if they're not to their liking.

An AH cuts transaction costs. Being able to search for prices would save a lot of player time.

Alas, the developers of the server see this as a worthwhile annoyance(player interaction). Which is okay with me since they're the ones that own the server. However, I'd wish they change their minds.

If you can't sell an item to a player for more than it vendors for then the time it takes to auction the item isn't worth the money you'd make by doing so...since it would be the same either way. So everyone would just vendor everything and that would be stupid.

If you can't sell an item to a player for more than it vendors for then the time it takes to auction the item isn't worth the money you'd make by doing so...since it would be the same either way. So everyone would just vendor everything and that would be stupid.

This is already the case with some items. Although I just started farming MielechB, I've found that many of the lower tier items from their have a very hard time selling for more than the vendor price. This is because of a join production problem. You want the nice plate BP or shrink item or tboots and it takes you 10 minutes or less to kill those monsters. You have 20 minutes left until they respawn, so you go around killing all the other named in the zone. Even if the gold/hour of the lower tier nameds isn't great, what else are you going to do while you wait on respawn. The items I'm thinking of that have a market price below vendor price are: Bladed Mail Boots, Shade Leather Quiver, Bladecatcher, Wardetched Buckler, Band of Health.

shade leather quiver used to sell, i'd get one for myself if i started a lvl 1 ranger again. The other drops are just shitty though. Esp bladecatcher and band of health.

The problem is not the undercutting per se, the problem is that a searchable centralized database of items makes it incredibly easy to manipulate the market and creates a class of middle hands that buy up high demand items to create monopolies and be able to set whatever price they want. Additionally, it tends to entrench a few 'best' items since people just go search for whatever they've heard of instead of browsing alternatives.

The listsold system isn't ideal, ideal would be a nice browsing gui where you could sort vendors by what general type of goods they carry (so you could quickly bring up a list of all vendors that sell weapons, but not all vendors that sell a howling blade)

the biggest problem I see with your idea bonk84 is that, if you can send an item to auction in the field.. you could potential farm lore items forever..
if you can farm with a single char (alot of people can) you could simply auction the item and bid with your second box to make sure it sells, thus letting you loot said lore item again.
yes, you would have to wait for the auction time to pass if theres a bidding system, but since your the seller, you could set it to just a couple min time..
this could potentially let you farm the same lore items all day.. thus circumventing the LORE tag entirely.

the idea Wiz said is ideal is what I would like to see, where it's not technically a searchable database, but you can filter away things you aren't looking for.

I love Wiz's idea about limited filtering.

Just to be able to filter out potions and spells would be fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom