Ranger CoD Quest Reward

Baxters

Dalayan Adventurer
I'm writing to request that [LORE ITEM] be taken off the arrows (http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Sky_Darkener) that come from the ranger CoD quest reward.

Maybe in place of that they could be [NO RENT]?

I've enjoyed working on that quest and will still complete it and get the reward and appreciate it to some degree, regardless. But I'm a bit depressed that I would have to go melee something everytime I wanted to replete my stack of Sky Darkener arrows.

I'm not sure I understand the intentions of them being LORE, so that you can only have a stack at a time. It seems that if I wanted to use these arrows often, I would be forced into melee range of mobs, lowering my average dps in addition to my perceived personal inconvenience.

I think taking [LORE ITEM] off the arrows might make the item and quest appealing to more rangers. It would also free rangers that invest some time and effort of this paying platinum for dps predicament.

I realize you guys have done a lot for rangers lately, and I greatly appreciate all the changes. I just think this suggestion would go a long way to make this quest item a more worthwhile reward. Thanks for reading this.

I'm writing to request that [LORE ITEM] be taken off the arrows (http://wiki.shardsofdalaya.com/index.php/Sky_Darkener) that come from the ranger CoD quest reward.

Maybe in place of that they could be [NO RENT]?

I've enjoyed working on that quest and will still complete it and get the reward and appreciate it to some degree, regardless. But I'm a bit depressed that I would have to go melee something everytime I wanted to replete my stack of Sky Darkener arrows.

I'm not sure I understand the intentions of them being LORE, so that you can only have a stack at a time. It seems that if I wanted to use these arrows often, I would be forced into melee range of mobs, lowering my average dps in addition to my perceived personal inconvenience.

I think taking [LORE ITEM] off the arrows might make the item and quest appealing to more rangers. It would also free rangers that invest some time and effort of this paying platinum for dps predicament.

I realize you guys have done a lot for rangers lately, and I greatly appreciate all the changes. I just think this suggestion would go a long way to make this quest item a more worthwhile reward. Thanks for reading this.

I think getting the item in question before complaining about it would definitely help your case.

Do you usually go through a full stack of arrows on any given encounter? Make sure you have a full stack ready for a boss fight, shouldn't be a problem.

Not sure if i should post this here or make a new post.

Shadowstorm is the Ranger reward for this quest.
The sword had a 14.3% chance on melee to proc one arrow into your inventory.
The arrows are called Sky Darkener and have 12 base dmg.

The problem with this is the fact that these arrows are Lore. This means you can only have 20 of them at one time, it also means that if you have less then 20 and wish to get more you have to take the stack of arrows out of your ammo slot and into a bag or inventory slot before going into melee for more arrows. These arrows are also No Rent even though they are not listed as such.

Rangers only have a 85% chance to have an arrow they shoot return to them. This may seem like a good amount, however it is not rare to use over 20 arrows on a boss fight.

Other then these arrows rangers use arrows with 8 dmg and + 4 to Cold, Poison, Disease, or Fire. These arrows can be used by a level 1 ranger.

The next best "summon" arrows are from Quiver of the Mind that drops off a tier 5 mob. Nightmare Arrow are 6 dmg and are not lore so you can summon as many as you wish, out of combat, before a fight.

Heli`ze event (the fight that the Shadowstorm comes from) is around T10-11, and the arrows that it summons are only on par with arrows (most high end fights have very low resists) that can be used from fetching at level 1.

My request would be to (in order of "goodness"):
1) Make the arrows a right click summon 20 arrows, remove the Lore tag from the arrows, and also put a combat melee proc onto the sword (not sure this is even possible)
2) Make the arrows a right click summon 20 arrows, and also remove the Lore tag from the arrows
3) Make the arrows a right click summon 20 arrows
4) Keep the sword as is and simply make the arrows not Lore, upping the proc to a 100% chance to summon 1 arrow.
5) Make the sword proc more then 1 arrow, or make the proc a 100% chance.

I wish that this was not true =[ I wanted you to be able to have them summoned into your ammo slot. My original idea though was that you were able to proc ONE beefy ass arrow (like 30 dmg) and you could only have one at a time (not a stack of 20). That did not work either.

This was way back in 02-01-2012 and the person who made the item replied to my post. Good luck on getting said item changed.

I think getting the item in question before complaining about it would definitely help your case.

I hope nobody else thought I was complaining. I was hoping my post would be seen as a polite request. Sorry if it came off any different to anyone else.

I just need the final event, which will happen once more guildies get the first flag, or when other more desirable targets are unavailable during our raid time.

Do you usually go through a full stack of arrows on any given encounter? Make sure you have a full stack ready for a boss fight, shouldn't be a problem.

There are a handful of raid encounters I do at my tier that take more than 20 arrows to complete. The requirement to melee before hand negates the benefit of these arrows in most of the situations where I wouldnt even run out of 20 before the boss guy died. I would be better off just using the superb arrows obtained from fletching.

Some theoretical situations where the CoD arrows would be superior: a mob with very high resists and no applicable bane-damage arrows or a mob with very high resists that summoned adds of a different body type during the fight. Not really sure if these encounters exist.

It's not just about raid encounters, either.

This was way back in 02-01-2012 and the person who made the item replied to my post. Good luck on getting said item changed.

I apologize for the repeat post. I really did try to look and see if anyone had posted anything about this before hand, but obviously I didn't look hard enough.

I didn't even realize that the proc only summons one arrow at a time. I made my original post under the impression you would get 1 full stack at a time per proc. :(

Last edited:
From the evidence presented I have to agree that this is a very poor design. Simply removing the lore tag seems a fairly elegant and easy fix at the bare minimum.

this sword was already buffed once, the arrows used to be worse than the crafted ones

I planned on making a post similar to Baxters' post as soon as I got the item in question as well Rad, which could be very soon if my guild is charitable :) The lore tag was never a deterrent from wanting the sword as it has other benefits aside from the arrow proc. However, it does seem kind of silly to make the arrows lore.

I was thinking of suggesting it be made into a secondary only quiver that has shield like stats and functioned as a shield. Then it could have a clicky similar to the old nightmare quiver that would summon no-drop no-rent 12dmg arrows. It would be a very unique item that potentially would be very useful. As it stands now none of the top rangers use the item except to summon arrows if even for that because it is so inconvenient.

Last edited:
I planned on making a post similar to Baxters' post as soon as I got the item in question as well Rad, which could be very soon if my guild is charitable :) The lore tag was never a deterrent from wanting the sword as it has other benefits aside from the arrow proc. However, it does seem kind of silly to make the arrows lore.

I was thinking of suggesting it be made into a secondary only quiver that has shield like stats and functioned as a shield. Then it could have a clicky similar to the old nightmare quiver that would summon no-drop no-rent 12dmg arrows. It would be a very unique item that potentially would be very useful. As it stands now none of the top rangers use the item except to summon arrows if even for that because it is so inconvenient.

Yea I understand its inconvenient. It just pains me to see posts about an item you haven't gotten and at least tried to use. I already heard Kedrin talk to much about this.

What if the proc was changed to some decent dps proc and it autocasted the same summon arrow that is in now?

I was just hoping for the biggest possible intracranial dopamine surge when I do finally get Shadowstorm.

Yea I understand its inconvenient. It just pains me to see posts about an item you haven't gotten and at least tried to use. I already heard Kedrin talk to much about this.

What if the proc was changed to some decent dps proc and it autocasted the same summon arrow that is in now?

That would be fine, but the arrows still shouldn't be lore.

Basically it all comes down to: the arrows are not good enough to deal with the hoops you have to jump through to use the "better" arrows.

The concept that Marza had was a good one, however everquest is 13 years old and doesn't allow his vision to come to life.

This is however, simply a symptom to the true problem. Rangers have to use a consumable item for their primary source of damage.

Other classes also use consumable items.

Taking Peridot's out of the equation since they can be summoned with little problem you're left with Clerics using Pearl's to cast Divine Benevolence (Reagent Conservation VIII Increase Conserve Spell Reagent by 90%, 5% better then the Return Arrow ranger AA) and ....? I really can not think of anything else that is even used. I guess Magicians also use Pearl's to summon weapon for their pets. However they too can get Reagent Conservation VIII and Almost forget that their spells use a gem. I know rogues have poisons but do people even use them? Isn't Jur an upgrade to them (perhaps I am dumb)?

Anyhow back to my point no other class needs to use consumable items to preform their primary roll.

There is no reason for Rangers to NOT have real Endless quiver like the class did in Everquest, other then "This isn't Everquest, we do want we want." Perhaps it is just because I play a ranger in SoD but I just don't see that as being a good enough answer. Every other MMO that I can think of has taken out "ammo" from their game. Perhaps they are on to something.

I am a ranger.

I buy only Cold and Poison superb quivers from any random vendor I can find first. I care very little about the price so long as its under 1000 pp. I just buy quivers as I run low.

When I run out of arrows my auto fire stops.

I then have to open the bag my quivers are always in.

Take a quiver out.

Click said quiver 5 times (one stack for my ammo slot and 4 for the first 4 slots in my first bag.

I then put the quiver away.

I really do not see any skill needed to preform this task.

I have to spend money to preform my roll in a group or raid, but the amount of money means nothing to me.

Using arrows is simply a dumb, boring, worthless experience that I have to deal with as I play a game I enjoy, as a class that I also enjoy.

Last edited:
I agree. I think it just comes down to us having a convenient, unlimited supply of 12 damage arrows. It wouldn't be some kind of hand-out, but a right of passage after completing a high tier, challenging quest.

It's not like were asking for some massive dps upgrade, but rather a smoother, more enjoyable gaming experience.

I think the fletching changes that were implemented a year or so ago were wonderful. But after toiling away with bags of arrows and quivers and considering all the cumulative platinum I've spent, I'm hoping for a change.

Last edited:
There is no reason for Rangers to NOT have real Endless quiver like the class did in Everquest, other then "This isn't Everquest, we do want we want."
Nitpicking this: Just One, 21 DMG Arrow, is a reason. But that could be removed from game if endless quiver happened.

i do think its kind of lame that rangers have to buy arrows, but clerics and some other classes have to buy peridots/pearls. that and i dont think tarutao spent days revamping fletching just to have it become deprecated

Endless Quiver trivializes any concept of Fletching as a tradeskill.

Having an endless supply of top-end arrows trivializes any concept of Fletching as a tradeskill.

The Nightmare clicky was a terrible thing for the game and its much-needed removal took forever because Tarutao had to completely revamp Fletching to provide a viable alternative. IIRC, a few other people had started it and given up on it as a project before Tarutao did, and Tarutao spent upwards of 100 hours on it (just counting time from him blowing me off IRL I can verify)

This leaves your argument as "screw balance, I want my unlimited easy-click, max-DMG arrows back!" This position is absolutely untenable, so please never bring it up again.

However, Kedrin makes an interesting point with the whole removal of ammo from most MMOs. This would require yet another revamp, so let's see if we can think up something good.

You would only ever need 1 of anything to have your supply, Endless Quiver style. This would have to include throwing items as well. This means Throwing items would no longer require the ammo slot. This leaves the ammo slot for clickies like Vah back, but that's what non-rangers already use it for. We could still keep arrows around (as ranger loot only) that add procs or bane damage. Of course, having more people fighting over clickies would result. The other option is removing it for rangers as well, leaving the ammo slot available for new and interesting uses. Some dev might jump at the chance to create some new thing that requires its own equipment slot. We all love charms, so there's that!

Anyway, this is really the direction should run, so let's do that.

I guess I'm newer to this game than most of you but I find it hard to believe that giving rangers an undless quiver from a t11 quest would sufficiently trivialize Fletching as a tradeskill and ruin Tarutao's revamp.

I think Animand made an interesting point and would be in favor of seeing something like that.

I personally would not mourn the loss of Just One.

How hard would it be to just remove the [LORE ITEM] from those arrows and how much would that upset the balance of fletching as a tradeskill?

For me, if everything else stayed the same about that item and only the [LORE ITEM] effect was removed, I would still be required to invest some amount of time in melee range of mobs. I imagine that it would take around an hour of killing mobs in remnants to stock up on enough arrows to last me through any period of play. I don't always have an hour before I raid, or that good exp group isnt going to wait on me to stock up on arrows. I would still have a quiver or two on hand, I just wouldn't have to rely 100% on it.

Since this is already in derail territory.

I think the entire ideology behind the implementation of archery is kind of messed up, in theory you were working harder using a limited resource to get an edge in burst dps but aside from some midling tiers it never really delivered, you just ended up shackled with weird handicaps to do similar damage to your peers. It's a pretty obvious expectation for ammo to go out the window after having to press ranged attack did, whether it's justified or not.

What probably should have happened instead of ranged auto attack was upping ranged damage per range attack, lowering miss chances, adding a multiplier to bow delay calcs to increase the interval between having to press the button, and increasing ranger melee damage. I know people will disagree with that, I mean who wants to have to press a button if they don't have to, but relegating your damage to just auto-attacking at a distance further trivializes your melee ability (which is a dimension of the class no matter how much people like shooting bows) and probably screwed you in the long run in terms of not wanting to handle ammo and wanting damage boosts and not so much rng reliance because the perception will be you no longer have to "work for it".

I guess I'm newer to this game than most of you but I find it hard to believe that giving rangers an undless quiver from a t11 quest would sufficiently trivialize Fletching as a tradeskill and ruin Tarutao's revamp.
Yeah aside from augments and alchemy all other tradeskill gear ends up trivialized but I think because fletching is basically only for rangers you're going to have a tough time selling this idea, not that I don't agree with you.

Back
Top Bottom