the state of things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a careful and thorough deliberation (like Waldo said Eisley had) should take place between staff before the sentence? Meanwhile the offender in question waits in jail for the verdict.

Lol, and we could have bail bondsmen put in as plat sinks.

Hope your lawyer is good, would be awful to pay all your savings in plat to walk for a week.. then be banned anyway.

if your getting banned what good is your platinums.

unban nodnal and we can all have supremes.

I think would be a great idea tbh.

The problem with this, and a lot of other ideas in this thread, is that it would make even more work for the GM staff.

And not directed at Jolly: If you can disregard your personal feelings and be objective for a second, how many people have been banned that weren't being scum bags? And in Arcibu's case, being a scum bag that had been banned before for being a scum bag.

The key to this quote is the word "seems". We already have a system where we try to be really understanding and work to encourage people to embrace the SoD community behavioral standards which almost everyone follows even beyond the ones enforced by the rules.

We don't broadcast every time we let someone off with a "don't do that again" or even a more clever/subtle suggestion for them to stop "before a GM notices" (said from a staff character in Dalayan Beginners guild chat with the staff character standing superGMinvis right in front of them).

What's really at stake here is that some people don't want *any* rules or enforcement, and they are attempting to achieve this incrementally. The infighting you see is a result of people disagreeing on what increments to argue and the few people who insist on defending their friend Arcibu to the point that they don't believe banning is appropriate for what could constitute a felony offense in the U.S. My advice to those people is: "don't convince Zaela to press criminal charges on him".

If that is the case, then yes. I have been out of the game for a bit, but even from my past i know that Arcibu is scummy and frankly i am not surprised he did something to get banned again. The thing is the server has a history of second chances (see Zhak). What i am more refering to is the guy who was 3 boxing for a buff bot and getting banned right off the bat. That is what deserves a jailing first offense then a banning if it continues. But I digress. Maybe people are butthurt from their guildies getting banned. Maybe people are doing more crap to get themselves banned in the first place. I don't know. So long as things are fair and consistent, then that is all groovy.

part of the discretion this thread is asking for is wrapped up inside how the gms and admins choose to exercise the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law and discretionary power

if they can be trusted to enforce rules on a case-by-case basis, surely they can be trusted to determine how far those different cases might go; the whole reason they've got the positions they have is because they are very much able to determine fairly how far gm discretion can be taken

that said,

XrAls

part of the discretion this thread is asking for is wrapped up inside how the gms and admins choose to exercise the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law and discretionary power

if they can be trusted to enforce rules on a case-by-case basis, surely they can be trusted to determine how far those different cases might go; the whole reason they've got the positions they have is because they are very much able to determine fairly how far gm discretion can be taken

that said,

XrAls

Thinkmeats can you fix Harn please!?

whats wrong with harn?

i cant make any promises, i work 50 hr weeks these days, but i can try

also its goin pretty good darksabbath

the intended way you wanted him to work to not trigger spamming you with 6000 damage aoes did not really work due to 0 manas like procs interfering but he has reportedly been fixed anyway along with some other bugs effecting the fae

whats wrong with harn?

i cant make any promises, i work 50 hr weeks these days, but i can try

also its goin pretty good darksabbath

You should tell me what was supposed to happen when I completed the quest because slaariel refuses to. I need fairy closure.

Thats cool assuming you mean zone literally as in the entire zone being an evil fairy forest.

I figured it was just going to be the evil fairy king or something. Maybe the combined remains of all the dead male fairies they had been collecting and dumping in the ground. Dead fairy ball best boss of 2012.

Last edited:
that is a weirdly accurate guess

I might be the only guy who has done the fae enough to have seen the majority of emotes about how the land is poisoned and what not. That is pretty cool though sucks you did not get to implement it.

Everytime I talk to Tao he tells me about all of these people and how I don't see everything he does and how he has all of this mountain of evidence that contradicts what I am saying and how I should just take his word for it. But all I ever see on the forums is the contrary. Tao is a nice guy and probably a very good gm, but he is the worst gm-admin. He has this dream of everyone hugging and holding hands and singing together and if you are in his way he does not like it. I don't want to play on that server, I'm 31 years old and I don't like singing. Stop treating everyone like they are children. The punishments that are given out are completely and totally disproportionate to the "crimes". Honestly 95% of these "issues" could be solved by just taking 5 seconds to send someone a tell.

I'll never forget when i first played this game I got name nerfed on both my characters. I didn't get a tell, I didn't know what was happening I just got disconnected. Then I logged back in, and got disconnected again. Then I figured out what was going on and changed my characters names, then I was immediately jailed because my new names also violated the policy (Which i had read btw and think the decisions were subjective but w/e). I was so mad at the way it was handled that I quit for at least a year. If someone had bothered to send me a tell "hey man sorry but your name is in violation of the policy I am going to have to ask you to change it" It would have avoided a jailing and kept a player. If there had been any sort of a dialogue at all, it wouldn't have happened.

In every civilized country the law is considered a fluid living interpretable thing. the very reason that we have judges and juries is to promote this idea and it is first year curriculum for every law student. The idea is that each case is judged on it's own merits and that the spirit of the law and not the letter of the law is complied with.

In summary fix these things:

1) Distinct lack of communication.
2) Disproportionate punishments.
3) Attempts to remove the "human element" from judgements. in some sort of appeal to "justice"

Everytime I talk to Tao he tells me about all of these people and how I don't see everything he does and how he has all of this mountain of evidence that contradicts what I am saying and how I should just take his word for it. But all I ever see on the forums is the contrary. Tao is a nice guy and probably a very good gm, but he is the worst gm-admin. He has this dream of everyone hugging and holding hands and singing together and if you are in his way he does not like it. I don't want to play on that server, I'm 31 years old and I don't like singing. Stop treating everyone like they are children. The punishments that are given out are completely and totally disproportionate to the "crimes". Honestly 95% of these "issues" could be solved by just taking 5 seconds to send someone a tell.

It's hard to select stuff on this phone so I'm just going to leave the whole paragraph and touch only on the subject of everyone being happy fairy friends.

I know zero people who want an environment like that. I love competition, be it in real life or on video games or whatever. We compete inside our own guild for experience dollars. Competition brreds animosity, it's only natural. When youre competing outside of your circle of friends, things can get nasty, and that not only equals a further desire to be better than those up against you but also provides a good bit of humor for both sides. And at the end of the day, I play video games for entertainment.

To add; don't get me wrong in the sense there is definitely a line that should not be crossed, that line being direct attacks on someones real life affairs that they did not willingly give up/post themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom