popped into my head thought it would be cool(druids read this)

oozu1234

Dalayan Adventurer
I've seen alot of Discussion about the Druid Relic: Doomswarm latley about how crappy it is etc etc. I thought of what i thought was a pretty neat idea that could possibly replace it?. im pretty sure its possible but im nto 100% sure.

Now i thought of this idea to replace doomswarm mostly because nobody uses doomswarm not even fresh 65's just getting there relics. The idea would also make it not sit on your spell bar since it would be a buff.....

yah yah yah another buff i know it sucks blah blah blah we have to much buffs! but hear me out! tell me what you think?! maybes its totally stupid, i talked to a couple other druids and they really liked the idea!

So imagine a buff that stats varied dependent on the TYPE of zone you were in! The idea is Druids are really good with utility and are in touch with nature more than any other class! so they should be able to gain or give stats dependant on the type of nature they are currently around.

Imagine if you were in a dark cavernous or a mountainous area what sort of effects could a druid get or give from that? maybe some added AC? maybe a 1-2 DS from growing ROCKY thorns?

Or in a Cold area such as plane of frost or WW? maybe some cold focus?

A volcanic area? HP maybe resists?

A forest? Run speed or heal % increase? maybe some extra FT instead?

this is a not very thought out iedea, was just something that popped into my head and i wanted to type it out before i lost it!

i was thinking this buff could be a short duration group (raid) buff or a longer duration single target? i mean its up to whoever makes it if the idea is a good one!

Please don't derail the thread? if you don't like the idea say so and let it die! if u like it then say you like it and move on! ETC! im just hoping it doesnt turn into a million idea thread!

That sounds like a really involved solution that does not have wings from a coding or limited buff slots perspective. Do not get me wrong, it is neat and I think the entire line of magic dots is bordering on useless, but a simpler solution would be "better". Replacing them with fast nukes, adding a recourse or reverse damage shield (like the bugs are healing the group), or something else.

I am a bit confused on the decision making process that leads people to ever use Doomswarm...

Is there more than one mob?
Y: Use AoEs/Rains dummy
N: Next
Will the mob be alive one minute from now?
Y: Next
N: Then nuke, Doomswarm is shit damage/efficiency without full duration
Does this single mob that will be alive more than a minute from now doing enough damage that you are mana-negative from healing?
Y: Then quit doing shit dps just to add to our downtime (group); if you OOM and we wipe you're kicked off the team (raid)
N: Next
So I guess you are boxing...?
Y: Invite some newbs, /ooc is full of them. Now pull more and one of the above applies. This is another reason why we need full group XP bonuses.
N: Then you got me. You found a use for Doomswarm.

Given the many threads about Doomswarm sucking and how people seem to flipflop on the issue
Druids are fine.
I doubt anything will get changed.

Now lets go back to complaining about how Earthmother should be a snare instead of a root, Crown of Storms does a fist full of jack, and how Clerics get innate crits on direct heals AND hots when we are the hot-est class (hey, if Wizards and Necros can split it innates...).

Less creative but effective. What about when ever it ticks it ads a Vex type effect of 50% chance to miss next attack occurring every tick of the dot. I sure as hell couldn't hit some one if I had a swarm of bee's on me.

Maybe a spread chance as well with a cap of 3 targets. Just as diseases spread to people have it spread on mobs

Idea 2.
Adds proc to the mob that gets the debuff that will heal the target its fighting. Doesn't fit with the name but would be a cool feature.

Last edited:
Less creative but effective. What about when ever it ticks it ads a Vex type effect of 50% chance to miss next attack occurring every tick of the dot. I sure as hell couldn't hit some one if I had a swarm of bee's on me.

Maybe a spread chance as well with a cap of 3 targets. Just as diseases spread to people have it spread on mobs

These are interesting suggestions

I can only think of one time in the past few months where mobs in an exp group were being mezzed. There are other times you wouldn't want to cast it because of spreading (emberflow skycallers for example) but I think the benefits would far outweigh not being able to cast it in rare circumstances.

I'm all about giving utility classes more utility that is effective in raids and not so much group settings. On hindsight 50% might be a bit much maybe 25% chance would be less over powered. Giving classes that are already middle of the road in their functionality some more Utility without breaking the game.

For example instead of making druids better healers give them a utility in some other way that is "Effective" healing with out actually being a heal.

As many people have said Doomswarm is ok for solo but has almost no use in any other setting. Groups kill things to fast and raids you have MUCH better things to use your mana on like spamming group heals.

Idea 2.
Adds proc to the mob that gets the debuff that will heal the target its fighting. Doesn't fit with the name but would be a cool feature.

This idea is very neat.
Enchanters can vex targets twice ever 24 seconds (or maybe more, Jinx/Vex/???) so it'd probably have to be lower than 50% chance per tick which, in turn, makes the idea a lot less neat in DoT format.

WHAT IF: take your great idea with the Vex and spreading to completely remake Doomswarm into a no/low damage Targeted AoE (it is a Swarm afterall) Vex with a cooldown long enough to keep Enchanters from feeling sadface. That would be solid group utility and in raids a missed hit every [30?] seconds would still be worth it sometimes.

Anything more utility would make it better then it is. Clerics heal, Druids heal and reduce some damage, Shaman's heal the worst and reduce the most monster damage.

I would also like to see a longer recast on this spell so that having more then 1 druid would be use full since one of the current issues of only needing 1 druid for buffs.

O captain my.. oh wait. I mean I use doomswarm too

and blizzard

Druids have a limited number of damage options. I once used a butter knife screwdriver to assemble a bed frame. Sure, it worked and I did it, but that does not mean it was good or I would ever do so again given alternatives. Doomswarm is the butter knife screwdriver of spells.

Back
Top Bottom