Competition and Instancing

This is exactly what my first post was pointing out. I'm not trying to be a dick to you and you should know that by now, but thinking like that is what makes guilds stale. It's nowhere near required to have as much loot as some guilds farm to kill new mobs, in fact some of your progression targets were killed with so much less gear/tomes it's crazy to sit and repeat what has happened so much in the past.

You can think of t12 as the new tier 9 full of tons of easy mobs but nobody ever wanted to go try those "HARD" tier 10 fights because it's different and only drops 2 loot for 10 wipes on your first kill. And that type of mentality just leads to burnout/bitterness from the players.

And I wasn't looking to get into a debate about whether or not we should try harder to progress or not which is definitely arguable as the benefits to me personally and pretty well everyone in our Guild in terms of opuses as against minute improvements in gear make the Tur Ruj option preferable.

All I was pointing out was that at times competition can be downright nasty when we should be enjoying ourselves as this is a game.

Yesterday, one of your guildies asked for help to get into Spires so he could get his Runic 2. He was someone I have shared the spoils of OG with and I was happy to key him in. Technicaly, he is in a competing guild so i shouldn't be helping but that just makes the game joyless.

All I was pointing out was that the intense rivarly bewteen guilds brings out the dickhead in people and wondering if there were ways to mitigate this.

CW has progressed a lot since I've been back to the game.. but what is there left to kill for us? Oh you mean the stuff another guild keeps down already? I'm not talking about custo. There is a "prime time" that randomly comes up sometimes where we have the prime people for a progression target (but it is likely already down.. so don't want to hear trolly lectures) along with the fact that we haven't been farming our recently progressed content that long so people still need stuff from it and the time spent for stat upgrades is well spent on the stuff we are killing.

I do think Exodus was doing the same content for much too long.. but they were trying a few new things before they melted to FWF. At least they were completely ready for the next tier.

Part of the point I was making is that yes, spires/turuj are going to provide more reward per effort than higher tier progression. Hell, turuj basement would *still* provide better rewards per time to FWF.

The issue here, is not what provides the most reward/time. If that is your only criteria, you will literally never progress past this point (which CW has been at for 2? years now). You have no reasonable complaint about not being able to progress though.

FWF doesn't even come close to keeping all the t12/13 content down. I personally would be happy if other people killed some of it, allowing us to spend more time on the harder progression fights. It doesn't matter that people still need spires and turuj gear and tons of opuses and class tomes. Unless you are getting to the end of the fight with 18 people and *only* dieing because you just run out of mana, you are not being limited by your gear. I'd wager CW has the gear to do all but 1 or 2 of the fights FWF does.

Additionally, thinking you can only progress at *prime* raid time is another flawed mentality. I sometimes prefer to try new things when we have a somewhat skimpy raid. Sure, our chances of winning aren't too high, but it lets us put in the time required to learn and refine our strategy, so that when we do have the A team on, people are practiced and ready and just have to execute, rather than spending all your time with your best force just to learn a fight and test things and figure out all the mechanics.

This may just sounds/seems like FWF trying to brag or troll, but it is really not. I would love nothing more than to have a guild really competing for FWF content. I know from experience it invigorates FWF players to have to compete a little bit for more than alt/random spare gear/opus. CW could be trying/killing custo, undead taeshlin, sharnree, rujik, the fish in OG, all the deeper temple of elael content. There just is no arguement for too much competition right now or a lack of content.

This is the same thing people thought at T9 when thaz all clear, but UC was full pop, and generals/thaz1/2 were up. You just have to put in the time and be willing to not get super awesome rewards for every 1 hour of raiding if you actually want to progress.

@Goldfolk

Okay... so now your just saying competition makes people nasty? This is true to some degree, although I think a few bad apples tend to stick out when the majority of players are actually friendly and nice if you give them a chance.

There is no way to avoid it in a non instanced game, and I personally (and I think most people who play SoD) think the benefits of competition / no instances far outweigh the detriments.

Anyway the point I was making was about the atmosphere in-game not about progression.

This thread is part of the problem you're talking about, then. There have been serious issues caused by competition in the past, but right now the only guild I see that might be able to complain is <Sacred Band> (a guild not yet mentioned in this thread). The atmosphere, then, is the result of things like this thread.

I try to remain optimistic. I even tried to raid with quite a few guilds here and there to get a feel of the intra-guild atmosphere during the April-December 2012 timeframe. I remain optimistic about most guilds, but I readily admit that I was one of the biggest "please oh please, Exodus, kill something harder" people around. Related note, unless my parse information is mistaken, a former Exodus member actually had the highest DPS on FWF's Prime Warden Kizarh kill Monday (a server first kill, if I'm not mistaken).

tl;dr It's a matter of perception, and I think it's worth considering that this thread is part of what's causing that perception.

CW is definitely not at the same point for 2 years. About 7 new T12 mobs have been killed since the time I came back to the game and joined them which has been around 4 months now. A lot of that has only been on farm status for like 2 months.

Additionally, thinking you can only progress at *prime* raid time is another flawed mentality. I sometimes prefer to try new things when we have a somewhat skimpy raid. Sure, our chances of winning aren't too high, but it lets us put in the time required to learn and refine our strategy, so that when we do have the A team on, people are practiced and ready and just have to execute, rather than spending all your time with your best force just to learn a fight and test things and figure out all the mechanics.

see: me having to play my cleric due to lack of clerics to get first kill of monster that dropped your shoulders

this is basically the only game with competitive raiding, and for some of us it's a driving force. this week i killed 4.3, rohk, and gloom, and honestly my main motivation was to prevent other people from getting it.

mine was to make other people's fomelo numbers go up so they can help make my fomelo numbers go up so one day i can be the guy with the #1 fomelo numbers

This would be better for newer players over people in the high end imo. Give them a better head start or catch up if you will.
High end will always be a pain forever unless you are cutting edge regardless of how many zones you put it to help because of how fun raiding is.

this is basically the only game with competitive raiding, and for some of us it's a driving force. this week i killed 4.3, rohk, and gloom, and honestly my main motivation was to prevent other people from getting it.

This makes me feel bad.

Trollin?

no i'm not trolling, i thoroughly enjoy the competition aspect of the game. always have, from the days of racing for thaz shit, to racing ethereal for mountain king, to racing fwf for CC. i loved it in regular EQ as well. i don't go around killing mid tier shit just to cockblock but the biggest motivation for ME (i haven't needed loot in ages) is the competition of it. luckily, other people need the loot

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom