Grips and stances

jester100

Dalayan Beginner
Ahoy, Pari here. First time forum poster~ I had a few ideas I had been thinking out and wanted to drop them on here.

Stances for healers and caster classes: /s 2 isn't really useful thanks to low weapon skills, and /s 3 is only so hopeful over the span of the entire game. A handful of caster and healer stances, even if just one or two, would add a great deal of depth. Adding one would simply give people another stance to spam, essentially not really fixing anything, but if two situational stances were added? Examples:

/s 4: 1% mana/tick drain, like stamina, but +5% ~ +10% nuke damage, essentially a Focus stance for nuke/spell damage. This would also be beneficial toward healers, as they can use Divine Rage, and would gain a small damage bonus to procs in exchange for a mana drain.

/s 5: Forced meditative trance + Silence? Perhaps 3-5 ticks of meditative trance and ~10 ticks of silence? "you are trapped in a deep meditation and cannot cast"~

Alternative ideas

/s 4: Essentially an INT-class "Divine Rage" stance, where it's 1% mana/tick drain with a proc-on-cast that could be like Strike of War, or maybe weaker, that harms hp and/or mana of the victim, and is unresistable. To balance, it could work like bard songs, to the effect that it would not recieve benefits from focus effects. The rate in which this proc happens I haven't thought over to propose~ I would assume something along the lines of 20% per cast, as opposed to the % per mana #, as I suggested a mana drain effect.

/s 5 A raw mana buff, say 1-2k to max mana for 30s (Or an undisclosed amount of time, that was for the sake of having a time frame), when it wears off it causes a 'Mana burn' effect, In example: 5k mana pre-buff. 7k mana after, If you have over 5k mana when the stance wears off, you take damage equivalent to what remained over your max. IF you had 6k mana when it wore off, you would take 1k damage.

/s ?: Mana-based damage absorption. For the time this stance is active, any and all damage you take will be deducted from your mana instead of your hp, the stance wears off once mana is 0, but causes no drain.

Okay, enough for stances right now, but I do plan on updating this post with new ideas when they come to me.

Grips! I had an idea of adding Grips (A secondary slot item) to be used with 2-handed weapons. These can be rewards from bounty hunters, or maybe new thaz rewards! They could do things like +X% X proc, perhaps worn effects much like 'Aura of the Dreadnaught' and others~ Only usable when using a 2 handed weapon. Even give them -Stats and boost others, i.e. -AC and -hp, but +resists and the likeness. These could easily be effective for use for all classes (Except rogue who has no use for a two handed weapon, although who doesn't think a 2HP backstab would be super awesome?)

They could either range from low to high tier, or be high tier exclusive and perhaps be thaz-only like the augs and gear are, or maybe implemented elsewhere. I believe this is all I have for now, Thank you for your time and your interest in my suggestions :)

~ Parietis

*EDIT [4/3/13]

I would guess the client blocks holding a secondary item when holding a 2hander in primary.

Having worked on a FFXI FTP, I'm fairly sure the client does not 'block' an item in secondary while holding a 2hander entirely, more like 2 handed weapons are assigned a 3 (For example), with the circumstance that "If 3 = lock secondary slot". Assuming SoD is laden with LUAs and works off of anything like a "Master settings" and/or things like SQL server settings, it's extremely doable. Keeping pets in mind, that both hold a 2h in primary and a 1h in offhand; If the server itself disallowed secondary while primary was occupied with a 2 handed weapon, this wouldn't be possible at all. Moving on, my idea was split into several options for reasoning.

Grips V1: Secondary slot item, no aug slot, non-expable. Used as a raid drop somewhere, or maybe a quest reward of some kind. Stat ideas include Delay -1, or maybe Delay -2, possibly a DMG: +1. Procs/stats were in the original idea. Example 1~

Molded Yclistinite Bindings
[Magic Item]{Lore Item][No Drop]
Slot: Secondary
AC: 10
Magic DMG: 1
Skill: 2 Hand Slashing +5
Effect: Cancel Magic (Melee Proc, 2.5%)
AGI: +5 DEX: +5 HP: +50 MANA: -100
Recommended level of 65

Or, a Thurg Bounty Hunter reward, with a way to work the aug rewards into them, perhaps using a T12 augs like the seeds:

White Wyvernhide Wrap
AC: 5
Cold DMG: 1
AGI: +10 DEX: +10 HP: +50 MANA: -100
Recommended level of 65
Slot 1: Type 12

Or as an expable item, here are examples with and withour the bounty reward idea:

White Wyvernhide Wrap (2)
AC: 5 (10)
Cold DMG: 1
AGI: +5 (10) DEX: +5 (10) HP: +25 (50) MANA: -200 (-100)
Recommended level of 65
Level: 0/10 Mod: +0% (+100%)
Slot 1: Type 12

Farhanniaths Smoldering Cloth
AC: 5 (10)
Effect: Calefaction (Melee Proc, 4%)
AGI: +3 (15) DEX: +3 (15) HP: +20 (100) MANA: +20 (100)
Recommended level of 65
Level: 0/50 Mod: +0% (+100%)

Last edited:
I would guess the client blocks holding a secondary item when holding a 2hander in primary. But this is basically an augment you are suggesting, am I right?

I like all these ideas.

Love these ideas and would love to see more. i just think casters and healers kinda get shafted in the stance area. Maybe adding stances will give these class's a little more fun then just heal heal heal or nuke nuke nuke, giving them flexablity to do more stuff in raids.

+1
Hell, as a guy that boxes a shaman, I would love to see some melee stances to go along with my rape bear form.

a healer stance that adds a melee heal proc would be a nice replacement for the proc weapons. perhaps the endurance drain or proc strength could be based on max mana or alteration or something so it scales up with gear

If Gms are even looking at this here is a few ideas i had

Healers stances 4-6 are the same(CLR/DRU/SHM) -- Stances 7 and 8 are class specific and dain stamina fully.

/s 4 -- "Player name dazes of into deep mediatation - increased mana regen with silence or make spells longer to cast. ( can be turned on and off) ( medium drain)
/s 5 -- "Player name quickly reacts to incomming damage -- healer gains % mitagation ( drain deponds on % of mitagation. ( can be turned on and off)
/s 6 -- "Player name notices week spots in enemey defences. -- Healer melee has 100% chance to crit with healing proc untill drained (HIGH drain) can be turned on and off

Cleric Stances 7 & 8
/s 7 (mana shield) players mana is increased by a base amount all stamaina is drained and damge is reduced by 30% untill the added mana has been beaten off. Stamina Exausted (Maybe in this instance instead of adding mana maybe make hte STAM bar the damage eater

/s 8 (faster casting) Players next spells will be shorter c ast time or instant cast (Stamina is based per cast). Stamina Exausted.

Druid Stances 7 & 8

/s 7 -- Enhanced tree form (Druids hp/Mana is increased siginifically

/s 8 -- two ideas for this one

First idea Druid casts a raid wide hot with hp heal and DS OR Druid gets a HUGE self DS untill stamina is drined.

Will do rest later. ><

PS. is there any way my offensive sig can be removed and me put something more approipate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom