If anything were allowed, what race would you have picked?

Grinkles

Developer
Staff member
If race/class restrictions were nonexistent from the start, what race would you have picked for your main and why?

Anyone who knows me will attest to my love of all things Gnomish. However, if any race/class combos were permissible, I would've been tempted to pick Troll for my Enchanter. Why?
  1. Novelty - What kind of weirdo Enchanter would pick a race with such obscenely low INT / CHA? Plus, Trolls are among the rarest of races in the first place and would likely rank among the least popular choices for the class even if it had been allowed all along. There's something to be said for standing out in the crowd!
  2. STR / STA Galore - The high STR / STA base stats would pay off by high tier; my INT / CHA have been capped for ages, whereas my STR / STA still have a long way to go due to the way caster itemization is laid out. I'm particularly concerned with STA, as survivability is a recurring issue for the ever squishy Enchanter.
  3. Unusual Racial Bonuses - I think it'd be fun to benefit from racial bonuses that aren't particularly designed with my class archetype in mind, and I've always liked the Troll regeneration perks.
Granted, the lack of working robe textures would get to me to some degree, but I've found ways around this before. I'm far too much of a Gnome at heart to consider "switching teams" by this point, but it would've made for an interesting experience along the way if I'd gone the way of a Troll Enchanter way back when. (I still think Tevinter got it all wrong when he pestered Woldo & Co. to undo his "free race change" from Troll back to common-as-dirt Dork Elf a year or so ago!)

So, how about you? o_O And for the odd Beastlord out there, what pet would you have picked to go along with your race, if you decide on a race that isn't already enabled for the class?

Last edited:
I would choose a male wood elf beastlord with the following pet models : faery < pixie < brownie < those ugly earth imps from plane of earth < treant.
edit: I called them ents, lol.

Last edited:
Excellent question, Grinkles!

It may be a bit of an off-the-wall choice, but I would have to say Dark Elf Necromancer.

Dark elf because, well that's obvious. Dark elves are the smartest, best looking, most charasmatic, and humble race in all of Dalaya.

Necromancer because of our strength when in a group or just hanging out with my bff Knell. With occasionally unpredictable playtimes, it's great to be able to go fight some monsters while looking for friends to help fight monsters.

The live Cazic Thule model would make for a bad ass PC race. Not sure how you could tell the male from female though... I suppose, I would have to be a Shamadin class (shaman/paladin with DPS)!

I just made my BST look like my cleric for kicks. Although I still dig my bunny pet, I always thought a black widow type spider would be a good match for DE.

Attachments

• EQ000013.jpg
    EQ000013.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 16
What, nobody mentioned the (in-)famous Gnome Monk? Actually, Dwarf Monk would be cool. Got to love the barrel roll. Pretty much like the race/class combos I have, actually, though maybe making the SK a dark elf, like the one I had on live.

if given the option, i could change my cleric to a male gnome (although my robe would.. complicate thing) and my ranger an erudite. my shaman, i like as a dark elf.

Troll Necromancer and Iksar Mage or Wizard would be cool.

Ogre bard would be awesome too, really give some new meaning to Bellows :)

I think I picked the perfect race for my enc(human). My pal is a halfling which gives 1% melee/spell dodge plus a questionably useful death save. The only other race that I may have chosen is iksar for the AC bonus, however I don't know which would be better of the two. If iksar were a choice for pals I may have looked into it more but as it stands the choice was made for me before I made my chars.

Just got to thinking about Warriors and this thread. Warrior is the most widely distributed class among the races. (Rogue comes in second.) The only non-WAR-enabled races are Erudite and High Elf, neither of which I'd find very appealing if I had the chance to make a WAR without the usual race restrictions. The puny Gnome was enabled for Warrior, so what in the world made the original Live devs deem Erudite and High Elf unsuitable for the class?! Plus, both those races can be knights anyway. :confused:

they're castery, no pure physical classes

gnomes get a pass due to tininess being roguey and hilarious on tanks

they're castery, no pure physical classes

gnomes get a pass due to tininess being roguey and hilarious on tanks
Touche, Zaela. However, let's also not forget that GNM wasn't enabled for Shadowknight or Paladin either until a year or two into Live. I'm glad for the change, but sometimes Verant made some odd decisions regarding classes and races!

This is pretty close to your other thread: https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/th...uld-have-existed-all-along.28777/#post-290551
Lots of neat ideas in both threads and I think cian2 ended the other one with a pretty good point. Current fame to fame reward (race change specifically) cost ratios are just ridiculous and seriously revamping that system would allow for ingame expression of these zanny ideas which would be much more interesting.
Maybe some day a mmo will have the balls to make race choice more meaningful than a different skin with marginal stat/ability differences. Maybe there is already one out there, I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom