Strands of life confusion

sonez

Dalayan Adventurer
I've just recently finished strands of life 2, and I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the math behind this tome.
First off the wiki states 8% of life and mana to the group, is that 8% of your max mana or base mana?

http://puu.sh/iyUFe/7732377994.jpg
http://puu.sh/iyVzO/b895bd822e.jpg

Tested in 2 different zones after I completed the tome, it seems to give around 300 mana, give or take. This is where I get really confused, because neither 8% of my base or max mana would equal anywhere near 300. Is cm stats just broke? Is the wiki wrong? I have no idea.

Either way 300 mana is a pathetic amount considering each dot is about 500 mana. I was super disappointed to say the least.
This whole tome is terrible in my honest opinion, trying to get killing blows on every single mob in a group just makes it really unfun and frustrating to play, please rework it. If you have to remove the group benefit from the tome then so be it.

Last edited:
Do I really need to explain to you how good giving free mana/health to your group is in xp? Like in your 300 mana example, that's 1800 total mana to your group and all you had to do was...do what you were doing before!

Tell you what, you can have a placeholder tome and I'll take strands of life on any of my characters in exchange.

Lol, I really don't want to be mean, but you just called one of the strongest tomes by far terrible. I'm searching for anything constructive to add, but what were you expecting, and is there anything else you can base your expectations on for comparison?

yes ofc giving mana to the group is great, its amazing in fact.
I'm saying the way the tome functions is terrible, and 300 mana for myself is pretty terrible, like i said it doesnt even cover one nuke.

wiki is outdated afaik, tome was nerfed im pretty sure. That book is amazing because you give your healer/hybrids/other casters more mana to DPS more, and not to mention necro mana regen is the best out of any class other than maybe shaman. Not to mention it patch heals your group, you pet can proc the book (over 300 mana for free, and thats not even max rank). This book gives you the potential to restore 1800 mana (Not even max rank yet) to every single member in your group from a well placed murk spell (thats sniping 6 killshots with it, not something you can do consistently, but even sniping 3 mobs in a zone like kaesora isnt that hard). Restoring roughly 20% mana (give or take) to your healer from a spell that cost 685 mana. AND THAT ISNT EVEN MAX RANK.

This book also makes your class more interactive by adding a mini game to snipe kill shots. This book is so good it hurts and i honestly think this post is a troll. Did i mention your pet can proc the tome and give it to you for FREE? also rank 4 of this tome is twice as good as this already good book.

It really shines where you can finish off several small mobs or adds, and you get 300 per kill, regardless of the power the creature killed, it can really keep groups moving in certain places, and 300 mana back per mob killed is enough to keep the party moving. It might not be the best for soloing large mobs or kiting, but it really is a fantastic tome. Tomes are never gonna be as large a change as getting through your AA's were, but every bit adds up to make strong characters.

wiki is outdated afaik, tome was nerfed im pretty sure.

this is all i needed to know, im we'll aware of how well the tome benefits groups and what not.

But honestly try and get a pet killing blow on a kaesora mob with a high dps group, it happens maybe 1/20 mobs. Managing my mana in fast exp groups is pretty difficult sometimes is all im trying to say.

Are you trolling? I don't know what else to tell you that won't get me a forums vacation or wish chillville was still around.

I've grouped with necros before with it and while melee sniping some mobs with finishing blows can be annoying it's still worth doing. It's so good.

You want Quiet Reflection? I'll take strands and you can meditate THAT MUCH FASTER instead.

I've found out what i needed to, not going to sit here and play speculation with people who have never played the class. Peace

hi ive played the class, please dont freak out about literally the best tome in this game I've seen... except maybe the enchanter mez one. That one is pretty important too.

This is the fast and easy way of saying it. 1) Its not as powerful as what wizards get. 2)It gets good after the 2nd tome when you get a good amount of kill shots, the healer will notice it. Healers I've played with in XP groups will vouch for me. 3) Fury of the Swamp will let you kill multiple enemies if your group works together to knock them down for you. Do you like a lot of mana coming back? Your group sure will.

Basically, you will get stronger, the book will become VERY relevant, YOU will become very relevant. Your nukes will become strong enough to where timing your shots will be easy, and after the 2nd book your mana will refund itself (if you use Ancient: Lifebane). Give it time, focus on getting that second book and work on killshots.

(P.S. like tev said, pets can proc the tome, even swarm pets.)

Last edited:
hi ive played the class, please dont freak out about literally the best tome in this game I've seen... except maybe the enchanter mez one. That one is pretty important too.

This is the fast and easy way of saying it. 1) Its not as powerful as what wizards get. 2)It gets good after the 2nd tome when you get a good amount of kill shots, the healer will notice it. Healers I've played with in XP groups will vouch for me. 3) Fury of the Swamp will let you kill multiple enemies if your group works together to knock them down for you. Do you like a lot of mana coming back? Your group sure will.

Basically, you will get stronger, the book will become VERY relevant, YOU will become very relevant. Your nukes will become strong enough to where timing your shots will be easy, and after the 2nd book your mana will refund itself (if you use Ancient: Lifebane). Give it time, focus on getting that second book and work on killshots.

(P.S. like tev said, pets can proc the tome, even swarm pets.)

Well put thanks, I was just honestly confused as to why I wasn't seeing significant mana returns. The wiki states 4/8/12/16% when its apparently been nerfed to 2/4/6/8%. So you can see why I was disappointed(I literally rolled necro because I saw this tome on the wiki). I still think its a great tome, and I hope upon reaching more tomes/gear that landing kill shots isn't as challenging.

I still think low-mid tier necro's could use a few tweaks for group viability however.

Well put thanks, I was just honestly confused as to why I wasn't seeing significant mana returns. The wiki states 4/8/12/16% when its apparently been nerfed to 2/4/6/8%. So you can see why I was disappointed(I literally rolled necro because I saw this tome on the wiki). I still think its a great tome, and I hope upon reaching more tomes/gear that landing kill shots isn't as challenging.

I still think low-mid tier necro's could use a few tweaks for group viability however.
Of course, man. I certainly can't say the wiki is correct, but its close enough. I would say 2/4/6/8 is more right, but who knows anymore, I might test it out someday. I think low-mid tier necro's are decent, you definetly want to improve your dot and dd focus effects (I don't know what yours are) to get those kill shots with more ease. Definetly hang in there because as much as I'd rather be punching mobs as a melee, necros are pretty damn powerful and are well balanced. (devs please continue to not touch my class plz k thx)

I played a necromancer one or two times, and this was my favorite book after codex of power (rip) and spell dps tomes.

I put the percentages on the wiki based on the text either in the books themselves or from talking to the tome trade in guy in Refuge, it's been a while, not sure which it was. Since it's been a while, maybe the percentages have changed. I don't know. What they were when I updated them was pretty great.

In my opinion as someone who one time played a necro: necromancers are well balanced from fresh 65 up to t13. Their utility, dps, and all around coolness to hang out with factor are pretty great.

mana and health rules the game, mana gives health more mana less down time, let is rather get mad at keasora mobs spawning slowly then us being low on mana and unabale to kill them, grp with me sometime my dude ill show ya the pros and cons, I am xerokine look me up ill help ya through dude

Back
Top Bottom