2.5 Rollout Beginning, Kind Of

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
So we're on the rollout path now. There appear to be relatively few issues of significance reported, and we're stomping those out. I'm a little nervous that our testing base hasn't been huge, but we need to get this pig out there.

This Thursday night, we will begin the process by doing some system maintenance that's needed in order to finish getting the new server up and going. It will take as long as it takes - we haven't done it before so we literally have no idea what to expect. I have also begun work on migrating tools like password resets and admin tools. I still need to finish work on the user migration script as well.

So I think the next step is a Testing Weekend with prizes and such, though I haven't solidified what that looks like, or when (only that it needs to be "soon"). We will be encouraging folks to play on 2.5 and really help us kill off any showstopper/zone crashing type bugs. Once we feel like it's under control, my hope is to swap servers and cross our fingers. We just need to make sure we have a fallback plan if that fails miserably.

NGL, this will be bumpy; we haven't done anything of this scale before. We're looking at how to get listed on EQEmu as well. As we go through this, please expect some frustration, and try to be patient with us. The upshot will be a much better client and stronger future for the game.

Questions, as always, let me know.

-t

I have two questions:

1) How old is the character data on the 2.5 test realm
2) Is there anything in particular that you really want hammered on as far as testing goes?

1) Like 9 months, it's terrible. I'm working on that though, I promise. If you have a specific account you need updated/moved, PM me and I can do it by hand. Please only 1 or two, it really sucks. :(
2) Things that are showstoppers. By that I mean:

a. Anything that crashes a zone (priority #1). PLEASE REPORT THESE IN DETAIL!
b. Anything exploitable (priority #2). Again, please give us as much detail as possible. When 2.5 is fully live, exploiting mobs is going to be a ware to invoke my wrath, and I can and will ban people who are being jerks about it. The best way to avoid that is to solve it now. UNTIL WE ARE LIVE, EXPLOITING IS NOT JAILABLE/BANNABLE, SO HAVE AT IT!
c. Loss of items, particularly in odd circumstances. As an example, when I summon items right now, they poof on zoning, that's the kind of thing I want to hunt down
d. Major inconsistencies with Live. If a mob takes 18 people to kill it on live but dies in a single hit on 2.5, that's good to know
e. Mobs with important problems. I'm looking for things like mobs with no health (Alpha Translocators in Athica), mobs that get beat on by other mobs that shouldn't (Translocator Karbool in Athica) and anything else that will be disruptive. While you are free to report wrong models, etc., they have low priority
f. Inability to enter/leave/gate to zones
f. Broken quests. Priority given to things like MQ, flagging quests, etc. I expect a LOT of these, and players should expect things to be unstable quest-wise for a bit. Please don't hammer us on quests though, they are largely not show-stoppers.

The goal is not perfection on initial release, but a game that's moderately playable. Anything folks can help us do to make that happen is welcome indeed.

c. Loss of items, particularly in odd circumstances. As an example, when I summon items right now, they poof on zoning, that's the kind of thing I want to hunt down
d. Major inconsistencies with Live. If a mob takes 18 people to kill it on live but dies in a single hit on 2.5, that's good to know
e. Mobs with important problems. I'm looking for things like mobs with no health (Alpha Translocators in Athica), mobs that get beat on by other mobs that shouldn't (Translocator Karbool in Athica) and anything else that will be disruptive. While you are free to .

our precious gatenecks nooooooooooooooooooooooooo

One more question: do we still have to run the patcher from the downloads folder for it to work or can I finally move it

NUyttbn.gif

its like im finally getting that pony my parents promised me in 1993

ill play more just to test things and sing songs i promise

One more question: do we still have to run the patcher from the downloads folder for it to work or can I finally move it

I haven't changed the patcher in forever. It needs some updating. That said, I don't run mine from the downloads folder, so I'm not sure what's up with that. We have to figure out how the patching thing will work with EQEmu. Patching will not be optional in this client, or shit just won't work.

I haven't changed the patcher in forever. It needs some updating. That said, I don't run mine from the downloads folder, so I'm not sure what's up with that. We have to figure out how the patching thing will work with EQEmu. Patching will not be optional in this client, or shit just won't work.

if there is some what that I may be of assistance please let me know!

Player accounts as of last Saturday should be on 2.5 now as far as I know. I'm working on figuring out why AAs were not refunded, that's the next big thing. That and items in bags not being saved.

Back
Top Bottom