Unimplemented Tome Idea Thread

AngryCow

Dalayan Elder
I made this thread with the idea that we could discuss and condense the many ideas that we have had over the ages for the unimplemented class books, with the hopes that it may aid the staff in eventually implementing them. I won't try to make 'rules' for this thread because I believe they are ineffective, but I will try to make some pointers and general guidelines for posters (feel free to ignore them, but I think they'll help the thread quality):

1) Class tomes typically don't make classes directly better at what they are already great at doing. ie SHD class tome 3 is never going to be 'increase tank-ability by 5/10/15/20%'.
2) You don't need to post numbers, the staff will balance numbers if they think the concept is good, but be sure to post a full idea.
3) Don't quibble over other peoples posts too much, just make your own suggestion in your own post, even if its just a rip or change from someones idea. The thought here is to make suggestions and not get into nerd battles that can be derailing to the thread.
4) Keep in mind that tomes require balance to their effects and the class progression over the arc of the entire game. ie tomes that give stances might have exhausted effect or other downside effects.

Here is a list of currently (as of Jan, 10 2017) unimplemented class tomes:
Third Beastlord Tome
Third Cleric Tome
Third Druid Tome
Third Enchanter Tome
Third Monk Tome
Third Ranger Tome
Third Shadowknight Tome
Third Warrior Tome

Also here is Grinkles' old thread about the same topic:
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/th...ome-ideas-just-read-what-interests-you.28803/

Please post any ideas you have, or if you have other related threads please post them here and I'll update the OP so we can all read tome ideas easier. Thanks!

Last edited:
Idea for Third Shadowknight Tome:
'Manual of Torment Mastery' - Increases the effects of all reverse damage shields cast by allies by x/x/x/x%

It's basically Euphorbium Mastery (druid class tome) for reverse damage shields.

Idea for Third Druid Tome:
'Compendium of Liginification' - the druid assumes the form of a treant by using a stance and gets rooted in place. The druids stamina bar drains while in this form and the stance/form ends when the bar is depleted. While the druid is in the stance, allies within range gain increased stamina regeneration. ranks in the tome would decrease the stamina drained from the druid per tick.

Liginification roughly means to turn into a tree.

Third Monk Tome: Thought the monk construct/clockwork crit stance was a good idea before the new monk changes went in. For those not familiar monks once had the ability to make construct or clockwork susceptible to critical melee strikes at a cost of their stamina bar. The third monk tome giving the monk or raid a small chance to crit on the mob would be neat.

Idea for Third Monk Tome:
'Tome of Monkeys Curosity' - Monks gain a stance which can proc a short duration debuff that makes constructs vulnerable to critical hits from melee during the duration of the debuff. ranks in the tome would increase proc rate.

Koan of Mortality -- Meditations on how to feign death better....

Effect 1: On taking a mortal blow Monk has a X% chance to feign death at 1hp instead (can go off X times per X period of time).
Effect 2: Successful feign death of this type afflicts monk with soulbonded "Soiled Pants" effect, reducing their charisma by X
Effect 3: Every time a monk has this effect go off their death count goes up by X

Last edited:
Third enchanter tome:
Tears of the Beguiler - enchanter melee attacks have a chance to proc a 15/30/45/60 mana inject to the group.

EDIT: my post from the other thread, for convenience sake -
ENCHANTER TOME IDEA: Mana Fountain
When the enchanter gathers mana from his surroundings, the excess mana burst out of the enchanter, restoring 2/4/6/8% of the enchanters maximum mana to his group members

ENCHANTER TOME IDEA: Adds memblur stance, /s 4. Everytime the enchanter is hit they proc a concuss on a monster that is hitting them. Exhaustive stance. this solves the issue of dudes who break mez or when you go too hard or whenever your tank dies and then you end up getting punched in the dick. thanks for reading my post

Last edited:
Koan of Mortality -- Meditations on how to feign death better....

Effect 1: On taking a mortal blow Monk has a 25/50/75/100% chance to feign death at 1hp instead.
Effect 2: Successful feign death of this type afflicts monk with "Soiled Pants" effect, reducing their charisma
Effect 3: Every time a monk has this effect go off their death count goes up by 1/2/3/4
Innate death save seems way too good, but im assuming this is a joke post.

Innate death save seems way too good, but im assuming this is a soiled pants post.
FTFY. Though more seriously that's a numbers question -- 100% save is probably too good, could easily be a lesser percent, or be once every 24 hours to limit its too goodness.

ranger tome 3: tome of birdbro - The rangers bird receives 10/20/30/40% more healing from all sources.

maybe this tome is too good as you could argue rangers are balanced around their bird dying without being specifically healed for in some phases, but thats just poor design to balance around recasting a pet midfight.

Ranger Third Tome ideas
Point Blank Shot - Reduces range required to perform a bow shot
Arrow Adept - Increases proc rate on ranged weapons (kind of like the bard aa)
Ferocity of the Pack - Increases the attack given on the Predator line buffs

Druid Third Tome ideas
Blessing of the Ancients - Chance HoTs will small pbaoe (like vims radius) heal their tic on their target
Tears of the Forest Guardian - Chance to proc a "rain" heal on target

Last edited:
'Tome of Monkeys Curosity' - Monks gain a stance which can proc a short duration debuff that makes constructs vulnerable to critical hits from melee during the duration of the debuff. ranks in the tome would increase proc rate.
same idea but less clunky to use as a player: Shattering Kicks - empowered monk kicks apply construct curse 25/50/75/100% of the time. im not a fan of luck based mechanics so it could tome rank could make duration 1/2/3/4 tics of duration, but i think you'd get 100% uptime even before rank 4.

Please make the Third Druid Tome healing related. Ideas that I am probably stealing from old threads:
-Mechanic for HoT overheals (ex: a rune, % chance to extend duration based on overheal %, chance to spread to nearby friendlies, etc...)
-A clever way to reduce the number of heal spells crapping up the spell bar during raids (ex: I don't know, I'm not clever)
-Series of healing and utility related buffs to Shape of the Earth Mother to bring it more inline with Shape of the Wild (ex: 1-replace root with snare and small healing/casting bonus, 2- boost regen and small healing bonus, 3-damage reduction and small healing bonus, 4-remove snare, boost regen, and small healing bonus)
-Some temporary stamina stance(s) that juices up druid casting (ex: Moon/Autumn Stance and Sun/Spring Stance which boost spell dps but nerf healing and vise-versa).

Grinkles ideas for Monk: "Convincing Death" and Warrior: "Damnatio Memoriae" were awesome.

FTFY. Though more seriously that's a numbers question -- 100% save is probably too good, could easily be a lesser percent, or be once every 24 hours to limit its too goodness.
super long cooldowns typically arent the greatest balance mechanism. personally i think adding anything to make monks harder to kill/do more DPS is probably unnecessary because they are already in a pretty good place in those areas. maybe a tome that lets their group crit vs undead at a reduced rate/damage could be interesting, but maybe too strong. although balancing encounters around being undead/construct monsters is silly anyways

Warrior 3rd Tome Ideas
----------------------------------
Increased chance to Flurry per rank
Increased chance to hit per rank
Innate bloodthirst per rank capping at 1/2 of the stance effects at rank 4
Increased Stamina gain from critical strikes ( Currently +1 stam per crit innate afaik )
Reduced Stamina cost of abilities per rank
Chance to Swing twice on a riposte
Increased minimum hit from Driving Strike
Driving Strike does Intensify things
Rampage gets a 50/100% chance to hit an additional target R1/2, WW gets a 50/100% chance to hit an additional Target, R3/4
Reduced Cooldowns/cost on Shout stances (/s 7, /s 11, /s 13, /s 15)
Retain a % of Merciless Taunt's aggro generation instead of losing it all after 3 seconds
Increased level cap for finishing blows / The ability to finishing blow from the front
Gives an offensive stance to make warriors lower end DPS, tradeoff being not in s4 for life

Cleric 3rd Tome Ideas
----------------------------------
Martyr's Intercession does more damage per cast similar to intensify
Increased chance to be saved by DB like effects
Increased chance to proc the AA that autocasts DA
Increased accuracy under the effects of Yaulp
DPS Proc while under the effects of Yaulp (like Blood Feast for shamans)
Chance on death to proc a group complete heal instead of dying
Chance to proc Zealot's Strike on swing
Increased chance for groupmates to be saved by DB like effects
Hammer Pet gets tankier and mimics Martyrs
Hammer Pet gets tankier and casts greater healing on damaged groupmates
Hammer Pet gets tankier and gives the cleric improved block chance
Chance to proc Deific Brand on swing
Increase the effects of Deific Brand
Stance (like warriors) to guarantee a weapon proc reduced CD per rank

Ovi did a pretty good job at covering Cleric ideas I had. Was gonna emphasize on the Deific Brand more since it has potential to be a good spell.

One other I was thinking is:
- Increasing the effects and/or proc rate on Divine Rage to either
1) add more damage
2) add either Martyr's or Greater Healing proc, whether it be reactive or melee whenever the buff is on.

I'm not sure how well Tools of the Divine currently scales (if at all) over the ranks, but maybe a revamp on this would prove beneficial.

Another idea I was toying with was the idea of a mass group rez, with a long cooldown. Could greatly help with raid recovery and also pairs well with corpse calls in certain zones. Though this might not be a tome idea and may have some grey area for corpses outside of a raid or group, I still think it could be something to look into.

Clerics definitely don't need more passive healing. Maybe a tome that allows martyrs to proc a petswarm hammer or something.

Deific brand is pretty strong in certain situations, it probably doesn't need any kind of buffs.

Retain a % of Merciless Taunt's aggro generation instead of losing it all after 3 seconds

Since this stance generates about 1 million hate, any amount % wise would be overpowered by a long shot.

Not sure If this is the place, but I believe the bard third tome, Quiet Reflection should be changed to something other than increase meditation cap. I feel like that really has no effect on me or my allies when raiding or grouping other then i can be full mana faster, which dosnt matter because bards dont go nearly close to OOM, even when we spam our DDs while playing MoTS

Last edited:
(This is a LONG wall of Words. If you don't want to read it all plz refer to Suggest 3 that is imo, the best idea)

So as much as the FD idea is kinda cool, I think it revolves too much around an ability that is plenty strong. FD has many Uses and Slaar kinda hates quite a few of them already, but it is a key element of the Class so I wouldn't be upset about a tome that would add that effect.

Current Idea Modification?
I can say that maybe (if its possible) Mnks no longer get a traditional Deathsave. Deathsave is now converted to this FD idea. So any time a Deathsave would proc this effect kicks in instead. This can be a big idea especially if you negate or lessen the healing from the Deathsave and all, but it is workable if u throw in like a 3 sec mezz or something so the Mnk loses DPS or just a sort of speedbump to keep the effect being too powerful.

Anyways, as much as the idea has merit I think one problem the current Mnk has is simply his identity. Read me out before you say "What?!!?". With the current Setup we can all agree Mnks are supposed to be Auxing Bruisers that can DPS. In this case We aux, lose DPS but the Tank takes even less dmg. A good and very useful setup, but I feel like this identity isn't driven home. We have these passive abilities that the character is born with and no way to enhance or combine with it. I kinda feel the Mnk Class 3 tome should focus in this area. Elemental Fist enhances proc DPS which is good anywhere you stand on a mob, Force of Body enhances our Stance abilities and adds flurry, but neither of these touch on the Aux aspect of a mnk. So, I have a suggestion or two, that I hope sounds decent.

Suggestion 1

See TLDR; for short version

First off, Ripos, WW, Rampage, these are problems when attempting to aux. WW's a Mnk can deal with at the loss of some DPS, but all-in-all not a huge problem. Rampage, we definitely need a weapon in, and probably best to be in S3. Ripos, its not a very good idea to lower your DPS for this as you are already losing DPS being in the front and Ripos are minor. So, a tome with a % chance to dodge Ripos and maybe a % chance to dodge special attacks like Rampage and WW. As much as we can deal with some of these things, something to help deal with it would help, and lets be honest, fluid movement (dodging in essence) is a Mnk thing. A idea that came to me while I was writing this is a Requirement of being in front. Idk how hard this is to code but its an idea to again help solidify Mnk as Auxing Bruisers.

TLDR; %chance to dodge ripos, and % chance to dodge special attacks while in-front of the mob.

Suggestion 2

This isn't exactly my favorite idea, but I felt it should be added all the same. I feel it has potential but...idk its a lack-luster idea.
See TLDR; for short version

There are just fights where several conditions just negate the need for aux such as: DPS > Everything Else, the tank is just above/on-tier and doesn't need auxing, or Non-melee Dmg is the primary source of dmg. In these cases Auxing Bruiser is a bit lack-luster, and honestly this is fine, every class needs at least one situation where they are "lack-luster", BUT all the same, this is still an idea that would enhance this area and help solidify the Mnk identity as a "Auxing Bruiser". So in essence, Spell Mitigation while auxing.

TLDR; Spell Mitigation while Auxing

Suggestion 3

Okay this one has NOTHING to do with Auxing, but Its a personal favorite and one that would take some balancing and Probably won't be liked. All the same, its a cool idea and I would be mad at myself to make a post of Tome suggestions and NOT suggest this. The numbers will be slightly off cause I have not played a Mnk without FoB tomes, and currently do not have FoB4 so not accurate in the least but estimations.

Mastered Empowered Techniques (long name) Okay so think of Warrior stances, first 4 are perma-stances , the rest are activates that do something and have timers while eating stam. So, each level of Mnk tome 3 = Access to a new "stance" that is a empowered version of regular attacks. So like empowered in essence, Empowered Eagle strike lets say you activate this technique, it eats as much stam as a regular empowered eagle strike, but the effect is diff, instead its a DoT or even a DD with a HoT, that heals for like...100 more but Over-time. Slightly stronger, and useful, and of course it should be on a timer. So heres a list of Effects/Ideas of the major ones that I have alrdy thought through. Also again, I think the idea has promise but it just needs balance.

Note: All "stances" should have a timer on reuse.

Gut Kick (Kick): I'm not sure this needs a upgrade, maybe a Divine Stun like effect?

Fiery Sweep (Round Kick): Procs an extra 100 Dmg on all targets hit by the WW. Same stam cost.

Devastating Kick (Flying Kick): Yep....a DB Kick, we shall name it DBK. Maybe this one does twice the dmg of 1 kick, eats twice the stam, and inflicts maybe a a small DoT, or a debuff of some sort. If worries come to "Tanking Mnks" (cause everyone hates a tanking Mnk! jerks...) toss a lowered avoidance hit for a small duration after its used.

Tiger Bite (Tiger Claw): Enough aggro to over-take or at least match a Regular empowered Flying Kick cause Tiger Claw cant compare to it.

Eagle Slash (Eagle strike): Same stam cost, slightly more healing, Downside? its a HoT or Leechlike ability instead of a straight up heal. maybe like a max of 100 more healing, but because its broke up into a hot the sustain is not increased unless you combine with regular eagle strikes. (To me there is room for maybe a increase in stam cost, but all the same you don't want to make these abilities lack-luster.)

Dragon Smash (Dragon Punch): ....What CAN you do with this? Make it a Mez? IDK. This one stumps me. short duration Mez is all I got. Same Stam cost.

Alright, so I have taken up too much of this page with my "Wall of Words" so I'ma leave it after this. Balancing would be a major thing, but this idea has promise. I also think the effects should be accessed through either stance, but maybe only certain ones like Kick, Eagle Slash. Another Balancing idea (cause through a stance Global CD is avoided) maybe Link it like warrior kick ability to activating actual abilities as well. So like S7 (well say flying kick) then hit flying kick for the effect to go off.

(srry for the wall of words)

Back
Top Bottom