Unimplemented Tome Idea Thread

I know I am not the only bard that feels like Quiet Reflection needs to get changed in some way, and I would like to use this post to get some of my ideas for a better third class tome for bards that will effect not only themselves, but their group/raid too, as the bard is supposed to be a beneficial/utility class, i feel this tome needs to match that.

Reflection of Sound - Through practice and talent, the Bard has perfected his art of music allowing his music to bounce off surfaces and reach the ears of his allies over vast distances. Likewise, the Bard is now able to hit enemies with detrimental cords from father away.
rank 1: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 2: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 3: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 4: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%

NOTE - I feel there should be a bigger increase from the Ranks 1-2 tomes and 3-4 just from how hard/tedious it might be to finally get one's rank 3/4 class tomes. This tome allows the Bard and his allies to benefit, as a lot of bard songs still have a short range even with the Bard AA and bards do not benefit from Range Inc items. and is by far by best idea for a new 3rd class tome for bards.

Symphony Of Battle - Notes begin to pour from the bard as he plays a Capriccio that invigorates all nearby allies making them strike harder and faster for a short period of time.
rank 1: The bard gains a new stance, Symphony of Battle, that when used will empower his allies to have increased critical hit(x%)/blast(x%), and increase attack speed by x% (v2) and increased casting speed by x%, this stance lasts 10 seconds and exhausts the bard for 30 minutes.
rank 2: increased critical hit(x%)/blast(x%), and increase attack speed by x% (v2) and increased casting speed by x%, this stance lasts 12 seconds and exhausts the bard for 26 minutes.
rank 3: increased critical hit(x%)/blast(x%), and increase attack speed by x% (v2) and increased casting speed by x%, this stance lasts 15 seconds and exhausts the bard for 20 minutes.
rank 4: increased critical hit(x%)/blast(x%), and increase attack speed by x% (v2) and increased casting speed by x%, this stance lasts 20 seconds and exhausts the bard for 15 minutes.

NOTE - This one is a little more overpowered in my opinion, I like the idea of gaining a stance that will allow the bard to sacrifice his stamina, but similar to a warrior or monk, I think it should use up about 80% of the bards stamina and not be usable any lower, as this is just an idea, I dont even know if such a stance is possible. if possible, add in a mana drain when this stance is used also. depletes remaining mana.

I'd love to hear other ideas from bards about how to make their third class tome more beneficial to everyone than just the bard.

Last edited:
Reflection of Sound - Through practice and talent, the Bard has perfected his art of music allowing his music to bounce off surfaces and reach the ears of his allies over vast distances. Likewise, the Bard is now able to hit enemies with detrimental cords from father away.
rank 1: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 2: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 3: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%
rank 4: Increase beneficial song range by x%, detrimental by x%

Really like this idea. The idea of a meditate tome for bards always seemed foreign to me, and this fits with the bard flavor without being op.

Here's my placeholder post for beastlord tome 3 ideas. Taryth did a fantastic job reworking the class to make it viable dps in most situations so as much as I'd like to be able to proc moon comet or FD or get a jolt or canni (things that would let me just go full ham all the time and put beasts well above rangers and wizards and necromancer) I think the third tome should focus on survivability or improving things like paragon which don't scale well at later tiers.

I'm working some ideas atm, but just wanted to throw that out for now. I love reading the ideas the player base has. As long as people put effort into trying to temper their want to turn their class into Dev toon god status I think we'll get some really amazing ideas

bard stuff

The name of the thread is "Unimplemented Tome Idea Thread". Bards have 3 tomes. One of them kind of sucks (and kind of doesn't if you have a huge mana pool), but it is immeasurably better than all the classes that do not have a tome. Lets stay on target and/or start another thread called "Tomes that Suck". Though, medding as a Bard is sloooooow when you get a big pool so maybe the thread should be called "Tomes that are Lackluster featuring that Terrible Druid Tome with Bees".

Clerics definitely don't need more passive healing. Maybe a tome that allows martyrs to proc a petswarm hammer or something.

Deific brand is pretty strong in certain situations, it probably doesn't need any kind of buffs.

At least make R2 good..

how about for a druid tome add damage reduction or a reactive heal proc to anyone with Natureskin or Natures' Preservation while druid is in party.

Ancient Style(s)
Popular old stances. Drains stamina but at a low rate so you can still Empowered Kick, just not as often.
Rank 1 - Whirlwind stance with 1 handers
Rank 2 - Construct crit stance
These are probably the most desired stances for monks, so I think it's appropriate to not gate them behind high tier raiding RNG. This will allow new monks and mid tier monks to easily get their hands on these awesome stances. Ranks 3 and 4 could perhaps be completely new stances, however my dream is for Rank 4 to allow whirlwind with 2 handers again. :D Perhaps throw a light burn stance in there or make it it's own tome.

Focused Discipline
Exhaustive burn stance. We're the only physical dps class who doesn't get one! (aside from bards, but they get Crescendo for important burn phases and songs for the whole raid!)
Rank 1 - 5% increased attack speed until exhausted.
Rank 2 - 10%
And so on.

At least make R2 good..
What can you even add to clerics that won't make them blow other healers out of the water even harder?

Back on topic: Third Ranger Tome - Raven's Roost
Your bird bros spot spell also heals it for 150/300/450/600. This would help the bird not get owned by AoEs/need to be ghealed for. Ranger DPS/utility/tankyness is already really good so making the bird able to survive certain phases would just be a nice QoL improvement.

Third Druid Tome - Tome of Reasonable Cast Times - ALL the druids spells cast 3/6/9/12% faster. Could possibly be even higher. Would give druids better throughput. It would also buff their dps, but they're gated by mana and/or cataclysm cooldown. Fixing the issues with the class via tome is probably bad design though.

Tools of the Forest - Tools of the Divine but better, and for druids. Could have possible too-good synergy with vim.

Symbiotic Kinship - Your pet now procs a reverse DS on the target. 15/20/25/30 pt reverse DS (these numbers might be too good for a passive reverse DS)

I'm not sure how relevant the figures would be in 2017's SoD, but I put out a series of polls in April of 2014 that asked high-end players to rate their satisfaction with their class tomes at the time. It had already been over half a year since the last tomes had been patched in, but little did I know that the lull in tome implementation would last a great while longer. My hope was that the results would prompt The Big S (or some other staff member) to rework some of the objectively unpopular tomes or at least to get a feel for which tome mechanics were well-received by the players themselves so that future tomes could be steered in a favorable direction. Unfortunately, the polls gained little traction, and the list of unimplemented class tomes remains more or less the same as it was three years ago.

@Rymy and most people posting here will likely already have a very firm grasp on which tomes are regarded as good and which are regarded as awful, but for those curious, you can view the 2014 tome polls and analytics here.

Cleric tome (more like ideas than ranks)
Rank 1: heavy stm drain stance, allows ressurection in combat
Rank 2: stance, sacrifice self for one raid heal
Rank 3: pet utility stance
Rank 4: defensive utility stance

Edit: Stance, fast heals are instant

Clerics have a healing tome and an offensive tome so a defensive one might balance it out. A few more tools in the bags of tricks would also increase the enjoyment of playing the class.

SK tome stance

Rank 1, -200ac/+100% dot dmg
Rank 2, -400ac/+200% dot dmg
Rank 3, -800ac/+300% dot dmg
Rank 4, -999ac/+400% dot dmg

Third Ranger Tome -
#Bane Arrow Enhancement- when using bane-specific arrows, I'd like to see more consistent high-dmg crit chances (not to be confused with a greater chance of getting a crit). Wizards get many primal blasts, and rogues get 10+ k crits every night, where as I've only had maybe five 12k + crits in my characters lifetime, highest being 14k dmg over 2 years ago. In a night, my average high-dmg crit it probably 6-8k and I may get a 10-11k crit once every 2-3 months..

#That or a Codex of Power-type tome for the pet.. The Ranger pet annoys me most because they hardly have any HP.. The attack dmg sucks, too- but I don't care so much about its' dps. More hitpoints and mitigation for melee/non-melee dmg would be awesomeeee !

#I have been playing around with the idea of a tome working off of an existing class tome.. For the ranger, each time the ranger lands a successful Crippling Shot, the ranger can take advantage of the target being stunned and 'find an opening' like the rogue, for a promised crit or a higher chance for a doubleshot..

Third Cleric Tome -
#Maybe a heal has a chance to continuing to heal the target after the heal has landed ?

#Or perhaps when a devine benelovence wears off, it gives the cleric that casted it the chance of gaining some mana back?( though you'd want to make sure you refresh it each time you zone).

#Tome-of-tome like above, upon a successful bash proc'd by manual of condemnation, the priest has an innate chance to trigger a type of martyr's intercession.

Last edited:
Ranger Third Tome ideas
Point Blank Shot - Reduces range required to perform a bow shot
Arrow Adept - Increases proc rate on ranged weapons (kind of like the bard aa)
Ferocity of the Pack - Increases the attack given on the Predator line buffs

All good ideas for ranger tomes.

I wish wis/int casters had the option to stances that give +cast time/+heal or damage, -cast time/+spell cost, +cast time/-spell cost, -spell cost/-heal or damage, or possibly even throwing in stam draining stances that could be near instant cast or removes the down time in between spells.

I'm just going to point this out. On tier, a ranger who makes 2 15k pinning shots per year still competes with wizards for top dps and they push the same amount of buttons. So, (and I apologize for my lack of tact), y'all can fuck off with that nonsense. I've raided with you Shayken, I know you're pretty well rounded (mostly), so please take my lack of tact with honest criticism when I say that's a dumb fucking idea. If you're a ranger, your dps for tomes should be the last thing on your mind. You should focus on things like your bird, or, like bards, focus on your defensive stats.

Again, I'm not trying to be abrasive. I'm trying to avoid any one class being too OP. I'm the one who suggested a 10 seconds stun on beasts when their pet dies. That was to make them focus on sacrificing dps to heal so their pet lived.

If you lack dps, try to balance your tome to put it in line. If you can hit top 5 while afk'ing then focus your attention elsewhere

Its funny how you people start suggesting fourth tomelines. Big spoiler: there will be no fourth tome lines! (Yes I know ROGs have 4. That was a grievious mistake that we won't repeat!)

Back
Top Bottom