eqgame.exe failed to initialize properly, Processor related?

Tidien

Dalayan Adventurer
I have two older computers, one can run SoD like a dream (even off of my external hard drive as well). The other (the one I have always used for SoD 1.0-2.0) gives me the error eqgame.exe failed to initialize immediately after the patch runs. Both are XP, however, the one that doesn't work is AMD Athlon 3200 and the working one is Intel processor.
It will crash like this with the installation on the hard drive (that works for all my other comps) and on it's local installation. This is with all virus protection and firewalls disabled too.

My troubleshooting thus far is as follows:
1) At first I thought it might I might have the wrong .NET framework. I uninstalled 4.0 and tried it with just 3.5, that would prevent me from even opening up patcher. Then I reinstalled 4.0 and reinstalled 3.5 and that brought me back to square 1.

2) Then I thought it might be a virus because I got a similar error when starting up MalwareBytes. I tried to downloaded mbam.exe under a different name, in safe mode, etc etc. Eventually I typed in "mbam.exe failed to initialize properly" into google and learned that MalwareBytes isn't compatible with processors that don't use SSE2 technology (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE2), specfically older AMD's like mine. (The company issued a .dll hotfix).

3) I typed in eqgame.exe SSE2 and found that indeed Daybreak did update their software out of some older processors. I found a post on a LoL forum having this problem too where they replaced some .DLL's with older versions pre-patch and that got their version working too.

4) I have a SoD version 2.0 folder that still boots up just fine (though I can't make it past the login screen). So I tried to replace all the DLL's in my 2.5 folder with the ones from the 2.0 folder and it didn't work (darn).

SO, my question is: Does anyone either know how to fix this error message(maybe I am totally off target) or does anyone know what files I would need to replace with older ones to make eqgame.exe compatible with my processor ? OR Is there a hotfix for this or can there be one?

Thanks

No luck. It's odd, when it fails to initialize it's instantaneously, no loading, no lag, no sound from computer. Thought that .DLL might do the trick but nope.

On that comp I use Norton + Windows for Firewall, and MalwareBytes (and this time Panda + ComboFix) for manual scanning. I used to have Avast but I uninstalled it a couple years ago.

I know a lot of people swear Norton is bad, but I've never had an issue between it and EQ for 15 years and eqgame.exe is allowed as an exemption. Saved me from plenty o' virus'.

Also, 32 bit, SP3.

I would double check that none of your protection software is flagging any of the eqgame dll's.

Can you post a copy of your dbg.txt log file?

Well, that's what I have always used is Titanium. I just tried a fresh install and it didn't work either, when I use the patchme method I can get to the server screen but then it says eqgame.exe has experienced an error and must close. My dbg.txt on this computer is really short and only has a copy lines from 2007 for some reason.

Huh, odd that nothing is getting written to dbg.txt

How fresh is your OS install? Could be some of the system files are corrupted, etc.

Huh, odd that nothing is getting written to dbg.txt

How fresh is your OS install? Could be some of the system files are corrupted, etc.
2002-3 or so. It could be that, but it seemed like this started happening just recently, and more specifically it a month or two after Microsoft ended XP support which I thought was fishy.

I still think it might be the processor thing, because I would get almost the exact same error on MalwareBytes then they issued an article about it and issued a hotfix that had like 2 .DLLs. Then it started working like a charm. Maybe not though, just played out nicely.

Back
Top Bottom