Heads Up: Broken NPC Models and 2.5 Fix

Haenir

Dalayan Master
Here is the situation with models and load times. I will update this post as changes are implemented.

1) Model resource storage changed between Titanium and newer clients.

In Titanium models were stored in zonename_chr.s3d archives -- which was terrible as far as organization and also led to many models being replicated in many locations. Later clients store most models in modelcode_chr.s3d or modelcode.eqg archives -- much easier to work with.​

What this means is that when 2.5 rolled out, anyone using non-Titanium installs saw lots of borked models. Some changes to model files also borked things like skeleton animations.

Going forward the way that resources are differ from install sources gives us the choice of either (1) loading extra models to support both titanium installs and later installs (this will increase load times and increase crashes); or (2) focusing on one install source's organizational schema (this will require players to obtain the correct install files)​

2) Global load and zone loads are bloated with many, many, many unnecessary models

Simply put, the load files are a mess, loading many resources that are unnecessary, and not loading many models globally that should really be global (pet models are being loaded zone by zone, etc.).

What this does is increase client load time (server select to character select) greatly. It also increases zoning time (because every time you zone you're loading 40+ models you really should only load once) and probably causes more than a few crashes (especially for people with lower memory systems).

2.5 introduced a new globalload method that allows us to only load all those pet etc. models once! And we haven't yet taken advantage of this.​
-------------------------------------------------
Here is the PLAN to fix these issues:

Phase 1: Replacing global load files with optimized versions. STATUS DONE (patched in)
  • Significantly reduces loadtime from server select to character select. On my own system from 30 seconds to 5 seconds -- ymmv based on hardware.
  • Replaces skeleton models with animated classic skeleton
  • Replaces wolf/spirit wolf with classic models (wolf and skeleton models are somewhat linked in EQ's resources, I have a way to probably load them separately if we want luclin wolves but classic skellies)
  • Should reduce crashes that are caused by excessive memory use (from loading too many unnecessary models)
  • Oh, also the new drake model no longer wields weapons out of its forehead. RIP dragon unicorn
Phase 2: Replacing zone specific load files with optimized versions. STATUS DONE (not patched yet)
  • Will reduce zoning time (some zones will still take longer than others, but every zone should load faster once global models are loading in their proper place)
  • Will further reduce crashes from excessive memory use
Phase 3: Re-implementing various custom textures / fixing models missed in phase 2. STATUS WAITING ON PHASE 2 to be patched
  • /bug reports on NPCs with model issues (showing up as naked humans or otherwise not correct) -- this will likely be NPCs used in events that were overlooked in Phase 2
  • Custom textures from a couple of zones (Overgrowth / MielechD) as well as custom elementals and iksar skeletons will need to be added into the modelcode_chr.s3d files.
-----------------------------------------------------------
What you as a player should do to PREPARE:

Unfortunately (or fortunately perhaps) the way forward is to deprecate titanium as the basis for models (clients installed will still play the game but models will be borked).

If you're still using a titanium install:
  • Install via a later source -- anything Seeds of Destruction (which is what the 2.5 client is built on) or after should include the files you need (Daybreak and steam installs are free and web-based)
    • If you do this you should copy over any customized ui files you have as well as character specific ini files (copy all .ini files and your entire uifiles folder to your new install)
  • Acquire the resources from a later install in another way
If you're using a later install source (Seeds of Destruction or later):
  • Rejoice in not having borked models anymore, and also about 200 more models for devs to work with that are unavailable from titanium installs

Last edited:
Not yet no.

Next patch will have the global load files fixed, see Phase 1. But each individual zone file needs cleaning and that's about 60% complete. Once all the zone files are cleaned we'll have a second patch to put them in one go, see Phase 2.

Get your Daybreak/Steam installs ready!

Zone files are now all cleaned up and will get patched in shortly along with the global load files (Phase 1 and 2 as outlined in the first post). Once that patch is in, /bug reports or posts here of broken models would be helpful -- I did my best to catch as many models as possible, but the way many events spawn NPCs is not very conducive to efficiency in identifying what NPC models are used. So I anticipate a fair number of broken models in various events (if you see a human model where it shouldn't be /bug it!).

Known issues (no need to /bug these):
  • Bloodfire models are wrong (for whatever reason the newer install flipped models with something else)
  • Minor illusion is behaving badly (e.g., Illusionary Wards in Emerald Jungle)
  • Tree illusions (e.g., Tears of Elael trees) are damn ugly and out of place looking
  • Some halflings in whisperling/rivervale are breaking after becoming vortexes
  • Ancient statues (for the CoI quest) in the ocean are giant floating elementals atm

This should prove to be an awesome quality of life upgrade for the server. Thanks for the work on this, Haenir!

The client itself (eqgame.exe) will work from any install source -- since we patch it. The difference is in all the other resources that come along with it -- NPC models, zone files, etc. -- Underfoot is a modern enough client (it was the expansion after Seeds of Destruction) that it should have anything we'll be using.

The TLDR of this is use daybreak or steam installs (not the titanium install you got from piratesbay or whatever).
At some point models will be updated to only support daybreak/steam installs.
Dev-Fixious is in the process of making an upgrade guide for people that need help.

I'm confused as to what I should expect with the Daybreak client at this point. Here's what I've done:
Install/download Daybreak (all 10 gigs!)
Grab the most recent SoD patcher (v2.5 Version 1.0.3, according to the log) and drop it into the Daybreak directory.
Run the patcher, make sure that it's pointed at the Daybreak directory, select "Repatch All" and hit patch. It proceeds to download lots of stuff.
Start the game via the SoD patcher. Notice that the loading artwork is broken (distorted Live images, not the SoD version).
Enter the game and observe humans everywhere!

Now, if I copy all the *_chr.s3d files from my old Titanium directory to the new Daybreak directory (as suggested here) all the models in game appear to be correct.

Is this expected behavior at this point?
The patch message says:
Optimized global load and zone loads to modern installs.
so I thought this most recent patch would correct the Daybreak broken models issue, but maybe I've misunderstood where we're at in that process.

Thanks! (and thank you devs for all your hard work! :) )

Sorry for the break in communications (went chasing the eclispse -- which was awesome!).

Here is where we are:
  • The Global load files have been patched in (most noticeable impact of this is likely the load times for people)
  • The various zone model files have not yet been patched in -- we've decided to give people some time to get their ducks in a row so to speak -- downloading via steam/daybreak/etc. and getting ui files transitioned. I'm currently updating the installation documentation on the wiki to reflect this, and drafting a walk through for the less tech savvy to follow for migrating their UI files.
Apologies for the confusion, lots of cooks in the kitchen and patch notes should have read:

Optimized global load to modern installs.
instead of
Optimized global load and zone loads to modern installs.​

I'm confused as to what I should expect with the Daybreak client at this point.
At this point a straight Daybreak install will have things that are globally loaded showing correctly (pets for example). Most other models are going to show up as human and will remain that way until the zone_chr patch hits (tentatively two weeks from now).

I installed from Secrets of Faydwer I believe, will that work?
I haven't tested specifically that source, but it is an older source and will likely have issues.

Phase 2: Replacing zone specific load files with optimized versions. STATUS DONE (not patched yet)
  • Will reduce zoning time (some zones will still take longer than others, but every zone should load faster once global models are loading in their proper place)
  • Will further reduce crashes from excessive memory use
Phase 3: Re-implementing various custom textures / fixing models missed in phase 2. STATUS WAITING ON PHASE 2 to be patched
  • /bug reports on NPCs with model issues (showing up as naked humans or otherwise not correct) -- this will likely be NPCs used in events that were overlooked in Phase 2
  • Custom textures from a couple of zones (Overgrowth / MielechD) as well as custom elementals and iksar skeletons will need to be added into the modelcode_chr.s3d files.

Thinking about starting up again, but I want to make sure that I'm patched on the proper client. Are these implemented in the patcher from a standard Daybreak install yet? Will I need to copy anything from my old install (A clean Titanium install that was patched from immediately post-2.5 periodically up to current)? Thanks in advance.

It is recommended to get the STEAM version of the game, see the link in the most recent patcher for details. As for copying files, you might want to consider copying your <charname>_sod.ini and UI_<charname>_sod.ini to save yourself the horrors of remaking your UI.

It is recommended to get the STEAM version of the game, see the link in the most recent patcher for details. As for copying files, you might want to consider copying your <charname>_sod.ini and UI_<charname>_sod.ini to save yourself the horrors of remaking your UI.

See, at one point I swear someone said Steam OR Daybreak, and I asked later when I had some random issue, and whichever dev it was that answered at the time said that they thought the Daybreak install would work fine too. Is this not the case?

Edit: yeah, Haenir says "Steam or Daybreak" multiple times in this thread. Has this changed since?

Back
Top Bottom