4.3 Loot balancing!

But you make a valid point, If there are changes to the sword making bards to less dps overall, might i suggest changing whatever it is that causes bards to stop auto attacking after equipping or unequipping an item with an intrument mod? So that a bard who is still trying to do good dps can swap in their flute to use their refuge bellow, or just remove the need to equip a flute all together? but that would also make Piccolo of Petrified Winds no longer a needed, or wanted item for a bard.

I think everyone read past "slightly", "ever so slightly", ac "some" (could still be good!)

Were holding up new content, lets rip the bandaid off and get on with the things we should be excited about!

I haven't played this game in a really long time and I hope you like my pink text

Ps: go ahead and nerf the items. but dont put +5 hp on the new weapons and think people are going to be happy about that as an upgrade. there comes a point in all games where characters are supposed to be stupidly strong.... especially when its a server that doesn't get much work done on it

I have 1 question. Have any of the people that want to change the loot actually killed 4.3 or have 4.3 loot on their own characters?

This fight is easy, it was killed 5 years ago or more, I've boxed tank and healer for it and even solo healed it on my paladin. I've also carried practically naked characters through this fight just to loot rot weapons. To argue that the fight difficulty justifies the loot is absurd. It's way too fucking strong. The robe for example is something crazy like 450 effective AC (next best is maybe 300? who knows, nobody plays this game). I know for a fact from conversations with Marza that this was an oversight, the fact that it is just now being addressed can be attributed to the fact that nobody that plays/played this game has ever cared about balance.

This fight is easy, it was killed 5 years ago or more, I've boxed tank and healer for it and even solo healed it on my paladin. I've also carried practically naked characters through this fight just to loot rot weapons. To argue that the fight difficulty justifies the loot is absurd. It's way too fucking strong. The robe for example is something crazy like 450 effective AC (next best is maybe 300? who knows, nobody plays this game). I know for a fact from conversations with Marza that this was an oversight, the fact that it is just now being addressed can be attributed to the fact that nobody that plays/played this game has ever cared about balance.

Before some nerd comes in and corrects my numbers (they are obviously wrong), I retort with: who the fuck cares?

Caring enough to come post about nobody caring: Priceless.

I only knew about this thread because someone linked it in goon squad discord chat. I also only read one post, the post I quoted.

That is how little I care, but I am bored at work, so heh.

Respectfully, the time to do this sort of balancing was a very long time ago when a slew of supposedly overpowered and imbalanced items were introduced into the game. The top guilds slogged through broken/beta content for months to get geared up with these items and use them. Everybody who had these items (myself included because I had both the "fuckstick" and pre-nerf Scythe whatever its called), knew they were overpowered, told anybody who would listen that they were, and used them all over the place just generally walking around being immortal in XP zones. More or less, this was ok because the new content where we all spent most of our time was comically overtuned and impossible, and you needed to be at this level of power.

Eventually, someone would see you soloing all of MielC crypt or insert example of having the power of a living god, and then complain about this stuff.

What happened here was that content stopped being made. A lot of new super hard fights were introduced with loot that in D&D terms would be described as "Monty Haul" DMing. That content got done a lot and people got way geared.

Why not just make the new items progress on the existing power level rather than dial it back? Why take so long to figure out that these items are broken, some to the level that they probably should never have been permitted to be live?

edit: major leaks but once I became a dev and this was called the "prison problem" that end game loot is too good to have a further game beyond that. That was tier 6.

In the case of Dissonatatus, Bladedancer's Enmity, you can tweak it some, but after tweaking it, in order to keep bards in the dps game, might i suggest 3-4 less CD on Brusco's Overbearing Bellow and Brusco's Bombastic Bellow, and maybe remove the auto attack restriction after equipping or unequipping an item with an instrument mod so we can weave in Refuge Bellow as I had stated before, Overall, I do believe a nerf is needed in order to allow bards to want to use other weapons, but at the same time, without that weapon as it is, we will be lacking alot in the dps department.

This is part of the experience.

Also, is six years long enough?

LASTLY, are the devs EXACTLY the same individuals as "back then'?

Destroying the premise of previous statement being the last. I am one of those nerds

Last edited:
So Bango claims he solo healed 4.3 fight with a paladin 5 years ago which makes the fight still pretty easy ~ The game hasn't been constant. My take away point is that after 5 years of playing this game and the nerfs that ensued after Bango ruled 4.3 is that we still aren't at his level when he was able to solo heal 4.3. Now we are being hit by another nerf, why can't we solo heal still? How many years of new content before we are able to do that? /ooc Hey, OP items back then allowed stuff like this if it was true. Vah Back used to have a 2 minute duration which made most end game content of your time playing for when it was relevant, easy...

SOD history has always been to make new content with something overpowered that doesn't get addressed until new devs start working on new content and the OP items now become a nuisance. The SOD players have become accustomed to these items even though they knew pretty well it was inevitable and it just hurts. The hours that went in to acquiring said items - hurts.

The gear isn't the problem as much as class balancing, defining their roles and giving each class something that makes them desirable so you don't prefer to have just one particular setup for a 6man that owns, and don't prefer to have 3 rogues, wizards, rangers for a raid. I'm a freaking mage, that pisses me off. When you fix this, item fixing shouldn't be a big deal, you would know what dps you want each class to be putting out and what that % should be for a certain boss fight. As staff/developers you should know what each class is bringing to each raid fight and trash clear. If bards are good for support on an encounter, they don't need and shouldn't be expected to be baller dps. They are supposed to be doing something for that encounter/trash clear.

As a mage, I was constantly annoyed, I'll be blunt...whenever "enchanter" utility was needed for trash/boss fights because then I cannot do that one thing mage can do which is to rain him/her self silly trying to dps the trash or boss at a certain distance so I don't kill myself and don't wake up the precious. Did that make sense? It should have. Small rant, sorry.

Summary: Please, please, please halt the new content making and the gear nerfing. Fix the classes and balance them so at any point any class and any number of them up to 3 can be taken to a raid without feeling like, well, those classes don't bring enough to the table. You can't get it perfect but sod needs some classes to be looked at and improved upon instead of giving them new toys with each new content rolled out and then nerfing it all when the next content is thought about.

I'm at work but will try to post later.

Why not just make the new items progress on the existing power level rather than dial it back? Why take so long to figure out that these items are broken, some to the level that they probably should never have been permitted to be live?

this should be common sense but some people are out of touch with reality.

Back
Top Bottom