Make Enchanters Great Again

I am with Blink on this one. Being a t8 chanter myself when I played I mostly regretted exp grinding. I always boxed a t10 druid or wizard. Wizard had really no problems soloing the few places we went. Chanters plateaued very early in the tiers and stay there it seemed like that till you get t111ish. I only say t11 cause I boxed one a few times, Taking the biggest fun away for me was the heavy charm nerf. CCing comes to a close second. At the end of my career enchanters only found pity groups unless you start one yourself and bring a real tank or cleric.

Enchanters outside of raids always sucked and were boring as shit if you couldn't charm something. Multiple enchanters were devs and it never got addressed. Aod is cool and all but at the end of the day you're just casting giantkin/garou and that was and still is boring as shit. I love the sod lore that enchanters are the ultimate magical powerhouse but in reality you just cast giantkin. Also there is a bigger issue here which is that duoing/soloing for exp/whatever has been trash for the majority of classes. Just go read one of those threads about why the hell does everything summon in tears. The charm penalties should've been removed or atleast adjusted a long time ago.

enchanter duos were almost always suboptimal high risk trash but before hyper stat inflation they kind of had a niche for existing.

Also re: shadowknights if you're going by the tier list which has no relevance on actual mob difficulty you can almost assuredly solo the croc in earth(theoretically t4). I imagine some baller with a robe and all the other good shit can probably solo bremm or get very close.

I hope this post makes snake proud.

Last edited:
Enchanters outside of raids always sucked and were boring as shit if you couldn't charm something. Multiple enchanters were devs and it never got addressed. Aod is cool and all but at the end of the day you're just casting giantkin/garou and that was and still is boring as shit. I love the sod lore that enchanters are the ultimate magical powerhouse but in reality you just cast giantkin. Also there is a bigger issue here which is that duoing/soloing for exp/whatever has been trash for the majority of classes. Just go read one of those threads about why the hell does everything summon in tears. The charm penalties should've been removed or atleast adjusted a long time ago.

enchanter duos were almost always suboptimal high risk trash but before hyper stat inflation they kind of had a niche for existing.

Also re: shadowknights if you're going by the tier list which has no relevance on actual mob difficulty you can almost assuredly solo the croc in earth(theoretically t4). I imagine some baller with a robe and all the other good shit can probably solo bremm or get very close.

I hope this post makes snake proud.
Sup Grandpa yate.

want to trade?
I wouldn't want to trade manz at this point cus i've grown used to him. but If i had a time machine i would tackle defixio of the past and tell him to make a chanter not a necro. I was on the fence when I made the necro and full of "man necromancers looked cool in EQlive pre-pop when i played a lot, let me tinker with that!" But then the entire time i grouped I kept wanting to mez and being bad at it, or debuff/buff. But necromancer doesn't get higher level versions of the overwhelming majority of t heir group tap buffs and debuffs (I have a million year old suggestion post about the group taps that are defunct now). Thank god we get that refuge heal at least!.

I see folks asked to box chanters in raids all the time, never in the time I've played the game have i seen anyone insist some one box a necromancer, or a raid change target or wait for a necromancer. (I know festering curse lead to dragging one along for one clicky on some fights but...that got canned for good reason).

BUT the point of your suggestion is how awful the chanter solo game is:

. Also there is a bigger issue here which is that duoing/soloing for exp/whatever has been trash for the majority of classes. Just go read one of those threads about why the hell does everything summon in tears.

I do honestly think shards has an ENORMOUS problem with ramping up the mechanics requiring group/yard trash content to be done via tank and healer boxes. tons of things Summon, Immune-to-runspeed, and/or immune to mez. it's not bad overall, but it does mean that the "best way" to farm XYZ is to log out your wacky class, and log in a ringer tank and healer pair. It really diminishes the effectiveness of fear kiting, root rotting, Normal kiting, or mezzing your way deeper into a dungeon to solo a name.

I would have mained my enchanter if our guild didn't have 2 mained highly active enchanters already.

I find my enchanter 20x more fun to play then my rogue. You wanna talk about boring ways of making numbers? Rogues got the corner on that market.

I have duoed some absolutely crazy shit with jraul/ming things you could never do with a cleric or any other class specifically because of mez/charm and AoDing lifetaps. Granted jraul is the god tier of god tier tanks. I can't recall what it was exactly i did but i remember having the thought of i wonder how ridiculous i can get with a SK/Enc and setting out on a mission, was probably some deep FR named EF cash drops and the like.

I will agree the giant tome is kinda cumbersome but whatever its cool flavor and should never be looked at as anything but a fun thing it will never be super useful.

As for nwaij and maining his enc, Trying to get him to play anything but his enchanter was like pulling teeth, he'd even go as far as to make other people play his wiz because he has seriously retired that toon to the point where it was a 100% a last resort thing we'd load in for stuff.

Enchanter credentials: He's T12/13, has eternal, I've done every encounter up to yale on him. He was on Exodus's first PE kill while i boxed jraul(iirc)

Is there anything in the works or in the pipe line for Enchanters? Was thinking about coming back as playing on Phinny and now on Agnarr wasnt as much fun as I remembered.

Is there anything in the works or in the pipe line for Enchanters? Was thinking about coming back as playing on Phinny and now on Agnarr wasnt as much fun as I remembered.
Considering you have neither runic spell, and possibly neither refugee or murk spells, yes there is plenty that your enchanter has not experienced in the game as it currently exists.
Asking for new content while having experienced only a small portion of existing content seems silly.

Not asking for new content..was simply agreeing with OP. I was asking if anything is in the works as far Enchanter game mechanics/abilities is all.

Just coming back after 3 weeks to report that I also do love playing my enchanter the most of all 5 classes I have at 65. Yes, they suck for duoing, but that does not make them boring, quite the opposite.

There is (was?) an ok enc/wiz duo guide on wiki. Nuke mez rune repeat. Last time I tried it I didn't even have R1 and the wiz was ballsack...but it works. The usual massive nerfs apply (mezable, can't break charm +final nuke any good nameds, 10 times faster to log in top5 tank, etc).

DN named spider + clr full heals was what I did from 0-200 aa. Mele orc named in EC is ok. Sprouts charm-break heal themselves in OG. It's not good..but it's something.

Maybe turn the (I assume still) broken -hate proc line into self pet only quick duration stuff. 10s absorb and unleash 5x DB (like the Cita mechanic)/2 min cd. A 2x% proc bst petheal proc 10s/2min. 100% deathsave 1 tic/5min. Etc.

Or just unerf charm dps, make the charm break heal to 5%, and make memblur drop combat? The game is dead; why not make enc OP again (MEOPA)?

2 words.... DIRE CHARM
When the LD bug was fixed, I made a thread suggesting we do away with enhanced control and bring back dire charm and was told repeatedly by end game players and even devs that EC was infinitely more useful.

Dire charm would be great though to help enchanters live their lives with a little less risk. Maybe enchanters could have a lv 65 charm spell that works on npcs up to 59, has a perma duration, and perma illusions the mob with something lore-ey. In line with Misery of the Swamp's lore-ey illusion component. I'm struggling to think how this could be gamebreaking in any serious regard.

And something nifty should definitely be done with misdirection/illusory sleight. I suggest a 15m buff that doesnt stack with rune which grants flurry chance by 2% per rank, with 10% at rank 5. Moar deeps.

Last edited:
Dire charm would be great...

Pardon any repetition, it sounds simply like adding a line of code to Enchanter EC with the effect of "if mob is below XX level, set duration to 999 minutes" could have tremendous upside for enc boxes without becoming OP. Most mobs with any serious charm potential are 60+

Back
Top Bottom