Caster Itemization.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
Hi Developers.

I feel that really great caster items, is a rare thing.
The build I have come up with for my necro Zake (still missing some augs and mask from Spires), has 0 tier 14 items, 5 tier 13, 4 tier 12, 6 tier 11 and 6 tier 10 items.
This is pure choice., There are many many tier 13 items to chose from, and a few tier 14's, but non of them does enough for my DPS, that I would wear them.

So why is this? What am I, and casters looking to max their dps curve, looking for?
(Not so focused on a long lower DPS curve, but focused on maxing the top of the curve, even if it hurts the amount of total damage, aka not really care about mana).

Well there are a few things, obviously:
  • Focus effects.
    A Necromancer basicly need everything. Pet, Elemental, Direct damage, DoT, Mana, Speed, Range ect.
    Wizards probably don't need DoT focus, would just help if they have procs or clicker dots. They also don't need Disease or Poison focus, again unless procs and clickers. They don't need pet focus either.
    Mages also don't need DoT focus, would just help if they have procs or clicker dots or if the pet can do dots.... They also don't need Disease or Poison focus, again unless procs, clickers or pet. I think they need cold focus because of pets that can do cold nukes, and obviously they need both pet focus.

• Skill bonus.
    Again the Necromancer need everything, Alteration for Lifetaps, Evocation for DD procs and components from initial DoT damage and Conjuration for their Dot's and more pet damage.
    Wizards mostly just need Evocation. Alteration could be useful if they somehow is proc'ing lifetap, don't think they care about Conjuration at all.
    Mages also need everything, Alteration for pet heals, Conjuration for Pet damage and Evocation for their nukes.
  • Elemetal damage.
    Type 5 is prefered, so we can aug with +24 elemental damage.
    For Necro Magic is best*, for Wizards its between cold and fire, not sure about Mage; but this is also relevant for picking items that comes with + elemental damage.

• Bracers and BP are very important, because of their proc. Currently Formless Ribbon of Unbound Power is the bracer "to beat"**.

• Clickers are very important to increase DPS. It's optimal for a clicker to not take longer than 2.5 seconds, that way it can be used in between casting spells.Right now the top clickers to beat are Corona, A Burning Chunk and Darkened Galaxy-etched Bone.
    With just these 3, a caster will have something to click in between a chain of spells that aren't faster cast time than 3.5 seconds. Perfect for Necro dots. For a Wizard flash flaming, these 3 will at times all be on cooldown.

• Melee damage and Auxing.
    Personally I wan't my mainhand to be a weapon, mostly because the aux mechanic is huge.
    But it's not irrelevant for adding to dps, if one gets lucky with a proc, it can add up, and just a hit for 100 in between spells and clickers could add some 2 digit dps numbers. Its all about pushing the max.
    Haste is probably not super important, unless it pushes a weapon from doing 1 to 2 swings in 2.5 seconds (getting 2 hits in between casts, rather than 1).
    Due to clickers in between casts, it's even more unlikely that haste taking a melee weapon from say 2 to 3 swings pr 2.5 seconds, is important.
TL;DR
So in short, the optimal caster item is type 5, has a focus effect and a skill bonus, has Elemental damage and some items will need to have a click effect on them, so we have something to click in between casts (if Corona, Chunk and Galaxy are to be taken off the set, or for a clicker to be relevant in general, same or better clicker effect need to be available on other items.)
If a Bracer or BP, have to have a high DPS proc rate or it wont get picked.
If mainhand, the best item that is also a melee weapon will probably be picked. If really good proc or ratio, it could be picked over all else to optimize dps.

* Math comming.
** More math comming.

Last edited:
Also there is the whole "puzzle problem" - getting a set with all the focus items, as well as best bracers, bp and Clickers in it.
It's a really big issue for Necromancer cause of their need for basicly all focus but Bane and arguably Duration.
Not sure about Enchanters, I think they are in the same boat, because they can copy all casters.
Mages also need most, but can do with out a few like Disease and Poison, possibly DoT focus.
Wizards have it easier, not needing pet either.

As an example, My Necro trying to fit in a new item; the Yale offhand - Crystallized Memories.
If I put that on, I lose my current offhand which is my DI8 item.
Then I could chose to wear DI8 boots, but then I lose a type 5 aug + I need a new place to put in my Casting Speed.
The obvious choice here is KK Belt, but then I lose 5 conjuration, which is basicly losing 1% dps, which the Yale offhand does not make up for....

I could also wear like Sorrow mainhand for DI8, but then I'd lose poison focus.
I cant replace on a ring slot, cause of Pet str and Galaxy arent replaceable, I cant replace with hat, cause of Corona, so its basicly down to the boots slot again.

If the Yale ranged/offhand was an option, then I might be able to make something work, because it has Conjuration, I could then lose other items I currently rely of for conjuration...

Anyway, The Puzzle problem is to complex for me to give any general input, but it's a thing to consider as well.

We found this last night off a new mob we killed, was this the sort of item you were looking for?

EU2IK0X.jpg

Joking aside, I'm certain that part of item development is making you figure out your puzzle. Having 3 clones of the 'best' setup is boring. Having items that can fit your style are interesting. The problem with super items is that they are unbeatable. That's why we had some adjustments to 4.3 loot recently. Sometimes your just gonna have to give up somethings and make priorities. I don't think a 'perfect' setup is supposed to exist. I get that the general gist here is that you'd like a solid caster piece more often, but that can be hazardous also. Also, as far as 'end game' itemization goes, there are at least 5 unkilled end game bosses, which leaves a lot of room to find new and interesting items. Maybe you'll find a few item fixers? I think in general this post is premature. I appreciate that you post about tricky subjects and that you're willing to brave the vicious wilderness that is the forums, but I think the premise here is a bit shaky. If you want to maximize damage in that way, that's your call, maybe you'll want more survive-ability or lasting damage on some of the new fights? Either way it's always going to be a preference on what your ideal gear setup could be and I think that's good.

A dot as a proc is not great. You can't aux the IS white golems for example.
Alteration on a necro only item is ok, but Conjuration would have been more desirable, or even Evocation (hard to come by in the current puzzle).
The clicker is 3 seconds (not 2.5), but its so good, i'll let that one slide ;)
Drop some of the FT for some Stun resist please.
Magic resist > Poison.
With a ratio of 8+, might just make the necro a straight up melee over casting spells, interresting.
Obv totally over powered :p:D

Just a shame to see all these tier 13 and 14 items that aren't really usable, at least for a Necromancer who want's to maximize dps.
Sure I can hope that 1 or 2 items may drop off some of the stuff not killed yet, but still, I have 12x tier 10-11 items.

Last edited:
A dot as a proc is not great
Its a clicky. The proc is sweet PBAE.

In general the gear mini-game is there to force choices and consequences. One of those consequences is often lower tiered gear. Ideally it would be great if every tier had a full set of great gear to get you to the next level but as melee dps sometimes it feels like there are entire raids without good melee gear.

Necromancers have the greatest "requirements" on them when it comes to focus items for casters. You can switch out the pet foci on an enchanter (if it doesnt affect charmed pets) but you will probably need to pick up Div skill (I assume Wizards also want this, maybe not mages? I hear necros don't have resist problems).

As a monk to maximize dps I need +h2h (fairly rare/at my tier impossible to max without using lower tier items), +atk, +crit, magic, fire and cold focus (probably disease and poison depending on my gloves and boots respectively), +double attack, + worn acumen, + haste, DI, possibly + dual wield (if I can fit it in without sacrificing any of the former), -aggro, and as much Str and Dex as I can get my hands on. None of that includes trying to switch out gear (with out losing too much of the former) to get bane gear on (and also collect good bane gear which can be several tiers lower than the content you use it on. Vengeance ring comes to mind). Also a throwing item and swift brood claw to maximize the times where melee dps isnt an option.

However, that is only one half of what my class even does. If I want to be useful to my guild or on raids I need to also have sturdy gear to survive pulls. At lower levels this means resists and HP, at higher levels it mostly means AC, HP and defensive stats (with some resists because trash casts archaics and relics on you).

In the end I carry 2 bags of clickies, 2 bags of bane/pulling gear, 1 bag for food/gate necks, also a variable amount of rez items. If I am not being lazy I am almost constantly switching out gear.

TL;DR: The gear game sucks all around

More to the point of your post though, I don't think merging the pet foci would be horrible.

As someone who plays a mage, there's really only two gearing issues I've come across. One is pet focuses (please merge them for the love of all that is holy). The other is wanting more options for Evocation/Conjuration mod, hell i'd take divination too if it was plausible.

As mentioned in Discord earlier today, I really like the idea of merging the pet buffs into 'pet better now' focus effect and turning the unused effect into a chromatic focus effect ala all instrument mod for bards. 2% worse or so like all instrument usually is for bards. It's never the BEST choice if you want to max your damage but if it's a situational effect or if slotting it is annoying it's better than nothing.

Im having a hard time fitting a cold focus into my build without losing too much overcapped DEX
tY5nKK7.png

Last edited:
What I read in this thread is that Corona and A Burning Chunk are far too good clickys and need changed so that itemization for NEC is not awful any more. I'll pass that along upstairs then.~

This is a way to "fix it", also remove the Taeshlin bracers and ring while you are at it, they are also way to good, to really wear anything else.

Could also conclude that casters need clickers and procs, and incorporate them in to (more) higher tier'd items as well.

Or do nothing, or something completely different...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom