Relic spells - drop rate

Melodico

Dalayan Elder
Hello -

Recently, we have seen a variety of discussions about easing the progression curve in the game for new comers.
With this sentiment in mind, I want to propose an unoriginal idea regarding relic drops.

Currently, no active guilds kill things on tier at T8 or below. Anything that is dying in this realm is all backgearing, and while thats great and does occur, it can be frustrating when you have 5+ new dudes who need relics. That can take large amounts of time, especially for groups who consist mostly of players who would rather be doing higher content, but cant due to population issues.

The balance of relic drop rates for raid encounters is fine, in my opinion.
I am proposing, that we increase the drop rate chances for relics in 6man events. Currently, lower end 6mans do have chances of dropping relics (Ancient Tarlisha for example) but it is pretty rare. If we were to increase these drop rates, it would allow for guilds to work on backgearing during non raid hours, with as little as 3 players.

The benefits are many:
• this would free up raid time to go to higher priority targets
• this would reduce time investment in backgearing for relics
• this would increase retention of older players, who are tired of backgearing cycles
• this would increase retention of new players, who get overwhelmed by the massive time investment that is T10+ (if relics are a hurdle, imagine the grim reality of contemplating vah back, faction augs, late MQ, etc.)

The downfalls are few:
• it is easier to get fully relic'd chars. (lets be honest, its an expectation in SoD status quo)
• more 500p erimal payouts (zomg)

The risk vs reward of this change is clear. It's a minimal coding change, doesn't skew balance for any current content, and eases the burden of progression for guilds in an atmosphere where population is the biggest limiting factor for the game.

Thanks for your (civil) feedback.

As a returning player with a necro that has full ancients and relics, I want to try out other classes but knowing that I would be inconveniencing other players in order to obtain ancient and relic spells makes me hesitant in taking alts seriously. I also no longer have the friends list I used to that I relied on when I played years back to obtain what my necro has. I was very lucky to have met a few very highly geared players such as Gortuk who allowed me to tag along on random runs. That was 6 years ago and it would be silly to expect this content to be enjoyable in any sense for him and others of his skill and gear levels.

I like this idea of being able to still progress in a meaningful way but also not inconvenience the player base that I believe would be bored out of their minds rerunning this old content that doesn't benefit them in any way.

Ancient/Relic spell drops should also be added to most ikisth raid and six man content, ancients in particular to the tier 1-2 events in field of bone , muddy grave (a good relic candidate also) and maybe a couple bloodquarry , kaesora and citedal named as well.

With the update to the bounty system even an extremely exaggerated cost for ancients or relics would be nice. This could serve a couple of functions. Allowing people who are not raiders (either because of a lack of interest or time) the ability to get relics while also having a token dump that comes out to plat for those people who have all the bounty items they want and bags of bounty food. I am thinking like 20 r2 tokens for an ancient and 20 r3s for a relic?

This would make it so its not the go-to way to get them and also keep intact the value of doing the raid or 6man content to get them faster. At that high a price it wouldn't be a good way to farm money either but reward people who help others do bounties despite not needing the tokens.

(edit) Also, it keeps it on target for the quality of gear. You can make pretty solidly t8 gear where the drop rate for relics seems to be fairly hard.

Another thought would be bumping the tmap drop rates of them significantly. Maybe something like 20% chance from VD maps for a relic, and 25% from D maps for an ancient? It would then average to around 25 VD maps to fully relic 1 character, which is a decent time investment, but something that can be done with a solid mid to high tier group (or a coupled on tier groups).

This would keep higher tiers from obliterating low tier content, while still forcing a decent time/cost commitment, and helping all those fishermen sell their maps.

I see nothing but good ideas here. Let's remember the main reason the drop rate should be higher.. (retaining older player who are back geering new players to take the place of people who quit)

Back
Top Bottom