Insidious Elements.

Snake

Dalayan Elder
The idea is, that at few dots, the necromancer gets a strong bonus to that or those few dots, and at more dots, the bonus weakens.

T = Tome rank {1, 2, 3, 4}
D = Number of dots on target{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

Damage bonus to all dots on target = (T/4) / (D/1). Or (T/D)/4
To make it from a damage bonus to multiplier, just = ((T/D)/4)+1.

At Tome 1, with 1 dot on target, that dot will tick for normaldamage x 1.25 (((1/4) / (1/1)) = 25% damage bonus).
At Tome 4, with 1 dot on target, that dot will tick for normaldamage x 2 (((4/4) / (1/1)) = 100% damage bonus).

At Tome 1, with 3 dot on target, that dot will tick for normaldamage x 1.0833 (((1/4) / (3/1)) = 8.33% damage bonus).
At Tome 4, with 3 dot on target, that dot will tick for normaldamage x 1.33 (((4/4) / (3/1)) = 33% damage bonus).

At Tome 1, with 5 dots on target, all dots will tick for normaldamage x 1.05 (((1/4) / (5/1)) = 5% damage bonus).
At Tome 4, with 5 dots on target, all dots will tick for normaldamage x 1.2 (((4/4) / (5/1)) = 20% damage bonus).

So 100% to 20% at rank 4.

This does many things for the necromancer, other than just increase their dps, which obviously it will, at 1 dot as well as at 5 dots on target.

If the necromancer is up against a target that is Fire and Disease immune (or at least so resistant that dot does little or no damage), well only 3 types of dots can be applied, but these dot will then get 33% damage bonus, instead of 5 dots with 20% damage bonus (at Tome 4). So less loss of dps.

Also it gives the necromancer a more smooth start on with their dps, and even option to just leave 1 or 2 dots on a target, and still do close to max dps, supplemented with lifetaps for example.

Personally I feel that 20% to all 5 dots is fine, the necromancer is far behind as it is, but I can see the argument that this tome will just be so strong, that if such a bonus is needed, the whole dot line should just get more damage...
Anyway, it doesn't have to be 100% at 1 dot and 20% at 5, if for example 50% and 10% seems more appropriate, just change the formular:

50% to 10% at rank4 = (T/D)/8

Or if the goal is that the necromancer shouldn't cast all 5 dots for max damage

100% to 4% at rank4 = (T/D^2)/4

Again if to strong, just do - 50% to 2% at rank4 = (T/D^2)/8
ect. ect.

I don't really play my necro much anymore, because he just to slow and clunky (complicated, have to keep track of dots, even on one target its a hassle, at several targets, it's just not fun anymore), and even after all the timing and counting and what not, he doesn't produce very pretty numbers....
He is cool for exp groups, when I can persuade the group to let him have kill shots. When I can't, he is kinda pointless.

Something like this could simplify the necro, endorsing to cast fewer dots, while also doing more damage for less mana. Yes it would be - Not simple at ALL! - figuring out the perfect number of dots, but once you do, the process will be a lot more simple.
And even if you don't care about the optimal solution, just doing 2 dots and taps, over 5 dots and no taps, well both will be good, so pick your style :)

TL;DR?
If you think Necromancers are fine as is (or even too good as is), then this post will only upset you.
If you think Necromancers could use something very different in their lives, that playes on current mechanics, well check it out - throwing out idea's, hoping it might spark something somewhere that will lead to a change.

Honestly I would rather the tome change to just a flat 5-10% increase per tome to dots/lifetaps and/or the chance to inflict x4 / x8 / x12 / x16 damage "primal" dot crits.

Honestly I would rather the tome change to just a flat 5-10% increase per tome to dots/lifetaps and/or the chance to inflict x4 / x8 / x12 / x16 damage "primal" dot crits.
Sure, I'd take that too over my suggestion, that would be far better dps (if it gave both), and probably more fun too, with some nice big numbers here and there :p

The idea behind my suggestion is to make the necro scale better dps wise, from 1 to 5 dots on target; perhaps even create a system where say 3 dots + taps is better than trying to keep 5-7 dots on target.
But I guess it's a little against the spirit of the class, the master of dot's, that more dot's is not necessarily the best way to max damage, where as something like primal dot tick chances would be more in the spirit of wanting to stack as many dots as possible.

I'm of course biased towards my own idea, but I like primal dot ticks too :) (a lot)

Last edited:
This has to be a joke! Asking for a tome line that essentially gives you 7 (5%) to 14 (10%) ranks of the focus effect that increases your means of producing damage (Affliction Enhancement is a 3% increase per rank) on top of whatever AE you manage to have, and/or just flat out TRAMPLES over (yes "TRAMPLES over", not "steps into") wizard territory (their maximum crit is x8, its super rare and they are the masters of crits. You suggest to give another class twice that max crit because... reasons?) simply can not meant to be serious. Oh and that's not even touching the part where NEC shits over anyone else when it comes to mana cost per damage.

Whats the joke? That I'm asking that a necro could maybe do a dot tick for ~36k to ~40k damage max? (estimating they have their archaic do around 2k per tick). Oh man sorry to threaten the wizards with that request, guess I'll shut up and be happy that I have the most mana cost per damage caster class. I'm also sorry to suggest necro's get any sort of reliable damage tome, like every other dps class, man what was I thinking?

The joke is that you ask for ridiculous increases in baseline damage for no reason given, and/or crits with a bigger multiplier then the class that has crits as its "hat".

The thought is that necro damage is already broken apart by the DoT mechanic and thus the “primal crit” would only spike the DPS by a small amount over the course of a fight (say .1% to .5%chance) so out of 1000 DoT ticks down to every 200, only one will achieve the super crit (anywhere between x4 and x16), which would, more than likely on the x16, only be 15-20k. This is why I suggested the numbers I did, however if you feel that’s too high, then at least give us the capability to crit a single DoT tick x4 and/or or a damage increase more in line with other DPS (2 / 4 / 6 / 8%).

Now in regards to the most mana efficient spells, only three necro spells are more efficient, Archaic (8.0) , Marlows (7.9), and Scitterpox (6.9). Hand/spirit comes in at (4.4), poison at (4.4), Runic 2 at (5.1), and finally lifetap at (2.2). This is compared to the wizards most efficient spell (outside the 5 mana line at 83) being Destruction of Ice (5.2) and with arcane echo (6.5). Surprisingly mages rains are their best, with relic at (5.6) and archaic at (6.2) or if hitting two targets (11.2 and 12.4 respectfully) taking the crown for best situational efficiency.

For PBAoE hitting 6 targets, Wizards (10.1) Mages (9.1) Necros (8.9)

We could always change the wizard tomes too, as that flat 8% increase to non-crit damage (on top of whatever DI you are wearing) doesn’t fall in line with the wizards crit “hat”, nor does the kill for mana line, as it encroaches on the necro strands line. Wizards should stick to harvest only.

Last edited:
Insidious elements is pretty terrible, and I wouldn't mind it boosting dps. But I tend to think that necromancer needs some unique and desirable function in the group beyond just pure dps since they're (at mid level) full of utility spells. If there was an effect like primal crits that was not damage but had a similarly tangible benefit on the group, that would be cool too. It could be group healz, mana restoration. recourses that show up in bard window and boost the group some how. Poison Dot recourse could give melee proccs to the group, disease dot recourse could give some kind of defensive buff etc.

leeching servant and Insidious elements are bad and it would be great to see them revised!

Back
Top Bottom