Buff Shuffling

just give druids a spell that turns gives every zone the plane of knowledge effect for x hours in exchange for killing themselves for the greater good.

Last edited:
Sounds like you'r describing 'Keep It Stupid Simple'.

Nothing wrong with that, but just because you need to make something a bit more complex, than changing a variable, it doesn't have to end up as xmas lights.

Last edited:
honestly just drastically increasing buff duration would be fine i think. If i had to buff once every 48 hours of play time instead of... every 3.5 when I need a new haste it would suck a hell of a lot less.

The whole reason they changed 'Permanency' to 'Soul Bound' was because it was causing a bad anti-social atmosphere. Everyone had shared permanency bots that would allow a person to never have to worry about having other classes while soloing, in a single group instance, or many places you technically should have that class available to receive that benefit for a whole dungeon.

Since then someone went around and changed the duration on many of the buffs to make the scenario above still happen. I agree at this point, all max tier buffs should be the same length, whatever that is.

The whole reason they changed 'Permanency' to 'Soul Bound' was because it was causing a bad anti-social atmosphere. Everyone had shared permanency bots that would allow a person to never have to worry about having other classes while soloing, in a single group instance, or many places you technically should have that class available to receive that benefit for a whole dungeon.

Since then someone went around and changed the duration on many of the buffs to make the scenario above still happen. I agree at this point, all max tier buffs should be the same length, whatever that is.
I've been here since 2008. All the buffs have had the same base duration pretty much since then. A few things got changed (Druid DS and GOE) but all the rest have been pretty much the same. As long as I have played people have just had armies of buff bots to buff themselves.

I started in 2006 near when the old buff change was being implemented if my memory is accurate. I do not think long buffs would cause antisocial activity in the SoD of today. The critical buffs already last multiple hours. I cannot imagine any groups saying "we have to bring the enchanter because haste is wearing off in 3.5 hours" or "bring the druid for the regen that drops in 2 hours" in our current SoD. Buff bots are so numerous that nearly every group is spending time doing a round robin of bots before leaving town for a few hours. It is both the variety of their duration and being shorter than the duration of many groups that is causing such a negative influence on gameplay.

In today's population, power creep, and style of group locations, buff timers seem to be nothing but a hindrance and they do not change the makeup of the group.

Longer buff timers would not have a significant negative impact on group gameplay but it would greatly increase quality of life by increasing the amount of time spent on the playing part. Doesn't have to be permanent, but have a duration that exceeds reasonable group runs such as 24 hours.

Personally I think the bigger headache from all of this would be looking at all the items with duration increment and verifying if they are still appropriate items when duration is not as significant of a factor.

You can nerf buffs till the difference to having them and not is at a point where not having them is ok. You would have to balance other stuff. This would suck.

You can add consumable/enemy that increases all your timers by 1 hour once consumed/killed. You would have to limit this to primary buffs. annoying.

You can get a forest of fallen alacrity clickie and roll like me. GtG always

Buffing is a terrible hinderance and a waste of time. Everyone hates it. Sometimes I want to play sod, but when I log in both of my characters are buffless. Since I can’t 3 box, nor do I have 25 buff bots/30 minutes to log, buff, camp, repeat, I log out. Bandaid fix it by drastically increasing duration (and making all non combat buffs equal duration, why isn’t this a thing yet?) or just make them permanent.

I dont see why there isnt some NPC that can recognize MQ flags and buff you accordingly. like if you have High Seeker, you get 2hr duration relic buffs., 6th seeker, 4hr, 5th seeker, 6 hours, 4th seeker, 8 hours,, 3rd seeker 10hrs, or something along that line, where you walk up to the npc, hail it, and just go through the dialoges of "I would like Relic: Legacy of Blades", "I would like Glory of Enthann", "I would like Call of the Predator" ect. Theres already a buff bot iirc in sadri that does some of these for 150ish plat, so I dont think it would be hard to make one that just checks your seeker aug to determine duration. Wasnt this post made for the ability to move around buffs on the buff window for OCD people?

Well said Gawain and Sabuti.

I too support flat out permanent buffs, or VERY long duration; my post was just if say Shaman's complained that 3 of their 5 relics are now spells they basicly cast once in a blue moon. I just wanted to show an example of a way buffs would still be "worth casting".

Anyway, I doubt anyone would complain about permanent buffs as such, no one would miss having to actually cast their buffs all the time; it would be the decrease of usefulness they would complain about (if at all).

Last edited:
A good and fairly easy compromise would be to increase the effectivenes of duration AA and focus and open up soul bind to not be limited to one spell casted (ie. 3-4 casts per soulbind AA click)

Maybe we can also have solo quests that give raid equivalent gear. Get XP and loot from grey mobs. Instant teleport to anywhere in there world as a built in button for fast travel. No more Xp debt. Infinite O2 underwater. Individual instances for bosses with no re-entry timer. Spawn into the world with an item that levels with you so you don't have to upgrade items.

Humm how else can we make this game wowier, I mean easier? :)

There's nothing more vastly skillful and not at all tedious than loading 6 dead characters to buff myself, camping, loading another 4-5 dead characters and buffing myself again on another character. I can feel my fingers pulse with skill as I rapidly type in the passwords and rack my brain as I try to remember that one weird ass password so I don't have to check my notepad file. A bead of sweat drops off my head as I click SB to focus myself and the denouement of canni V makes me climax with joy. The blood rushes to my head as 15 minutes later I'm finally done buffing and ready to go farm. The next 3 or so hours pale in comparison until I get to do it again. One hour until I can reload the dead Exodus druid. 45 minutes until I can figure out if someone moved the enchanter I buff with to a weird spot and deciding if I want to move it from there or they'll get grumpy. 30 more minutes until I boil over with rage as someone beat me to buffing and the shaman's SB is down because a monk needed all 3 relic SB for some reason. 15 more minutes until I can feel the bliss of having a fresh spiritual vigor.

Finally! All this farming and work pays off! I can rebuff! Viva...happy...

haha this dork doesnt even have an autohotkey script to log in his buff slaves what a goober.

The true buffing experience is when in the middle of a 4.3 race you are demanded to log in zurkkas dead beastlord who exists only to cast cunning outside of cmal but you keep fucking up the password and you're already two boxing and the admins have demanded you must fully camp each character out before loading in a new one instead of just alt f4ing like the good old days.

as much as i hate buffing i wouldnt hate it nearly as much if i could just 3 box in towns to buff both characters at the same time. constantly having to juggle loaded clients and sometimes crashing in the process of switching is my biggest catalyst for me to say "aww screw this!" and not even bother doing anything

Yup, and I would also be able to stop resenting the people that 3 box for buffs and get away with it, lol...

Back
Top Bottom