Sky darkener

I wouldn't mind seeing a special vendor that will sell you some no drop trade skill combines based on recipes you've already mastered, like an apprentice. Cost per item would cost more than acquiring it by hand, but that is the price you would pay to have someone else do it. This would help ease the tediousness of all trade skills and encourage more to pick up trades in an ever shrinking market.

That's the thing, what you suggest would be accomplished by adding the recipe book basically, which the client already supports but was purposely removed and the manual and tedious way was kept.

Let that sink in, they had to actually code out a function that would bypass the manual combining and allow the player to just click combine and auto-inventory....

Also doesn't address the requirement of the only class to have to pay to do their main function, or juggling inventory and bank space dedicated to all the types of arrows.

they had to actually code out a function that would bypass the manual combining and allow the player to just click combine and auto-inventory

I'm like 95% sure this is false. Client didn't start with recipe book functionality and when 2.5 came out I recall staff talking about implementing it or at least some of it. So I'm pretty sure it would have taken more effort to add it in.

In my opinion, the main reason to not implement the recipe book is the 'tradeskill balance'. Every tradeskill has something in it that makes it difficult in a different way. For Tailoring you need to farm creatures a lot more, in Blacksmithing you need a miner, and Jewelcrafting can be mostly done from a vendor, but is expensive to do. Alchemy can also be done mostly at a vendor but it's massive amount of clicks is what stood it apart. Making tradeskills hard is a large part of what makes them rewarding.

Fletching though, can also be mostly done from a vendor and requires a lot of clicks. So it kinda steps on Alchemy's toes there. I agree that fletching currently is a lot harder and more intense than it should be and it surprises me that Tao seems to have missed that. I think the rework on bane/bane arrows was fine, but the trade itself is hurting. I think the staff looking into tuning down the amount of clicks going into fletching is warranted.

And before we had bane arrows.. didn't arrows kind of suck and do way less dmg? Also rangers probably do the most DPS for the smallest amount of clicks.. so take that into consideration somewere

Remember before we had autofire... And we had to mele everything.. yea I would say this game has come a long way..
y-youre right its time to implement some equivalent of /autoskill into dalaya. all hail the automated backstabber

I'm like 95% sure this is false. Client didn't start with recipe book functionality and when 2.5 came out I recall staff talking about implementing it or at least some of it. So I'm pretty sure it would have taken more effort to add it in.

In my opinion, the main reason to not implement the recipe book is the 'tradeskill balance'. Every tradeskill has something in it that makes it difficult in a different way. For Tailoring you need to farm creatures a lot more, in Blacksmithing you need a miner, and Jewelcrafting can be mostly done from a vendor, but is expensive to do. Alchemy can also be done mostly at a vendor but it's massive amount of clicks is what stood it apart. Making tradeskills hard is a large part of what makes them rewarding.

Fletching though, can also be mostly done from a vendor and requires a lot of clicks. So it kinda steps on Alchemy's toes there. I agree that fletching currently is a lot harder and more intense than it should be and it surprises me that Tao seems to have missed that. I think the rework on bane/bane arrows was fine, but the trade itself is hurting. I think the staff looking into tuning down the amount of clicks going into fletching is warranted.

The original client couldnt support it.

The current client had it by default, again I was a 2.5 beta tester. We used tradeskills to generate money when the money command didnt work.

And before we had bane arrows.. didn't arrows kind of suck and do way less dmg? Also rangers probably do the most DPS for the smallest amount of clicks.. so take that into consideration somewere

Uh no we didnt melee everything and autofire was added close to when I retired.

Dps wise I would say in general dps is the same or lower. We used to have 8+3? Elemental arrows, fletching revamp actually complely removed elemental arrows which were good general use. For anyone that doesn't remember it was I who had to push to get even the 6+5 arrows put back in. Unless you carry every bane type you will have lower dps and again the inventory juggle is silly.

y-youre right its time to implement some equivalent of /autoskill into dalaya. all hail the automated backstabber
Tbf backstab has a much longer refresh. Lol also I kite a lot of stuff that cant be snared so I dont even use autofire much.

i wish we got any of the client improvements like bag clicking or the tradeskill menu. I don't know what entirely is available to underfoot but dang I still have to equip my gate neck or put it into the designated no-bag slot in my inventory because years of horror stories have traumatized me into ever holding a bag on my mouse cursor. Not enabling tradeskill combines is silly. You still require the financial grind and the ingredient grind to get to a certain point, but now you don't need to see a doctor for your fucked up wrist. I can't fathom being against enabling fast combines other than you are a vengeful trade spirit of the past with cripple hands.

Also I am sure a few firstborns would be sacrificed for the additional spell slot aas.
Also I am pretty sure live had arrows that we're expended even with endless quiver(or atleast the aa hinted they existed). Assuming thats actually true its not like you can't have it involved in a potential solution as well. Would it really be the end of the world if the summonable/lesser arrows were non-expendable and not complete trash like they currently are while having the best still be consumable.

Last edited:
I don't play rangers much but an idea I had was maybe an item for each bane and element(and maybe a general purpose one) be created that functions as an infinite 0 damage arrow but converts the entire damage of the bow into the given bane or element. the elemental version could be counted as spell damage giving rangers an option on melee hating or melee proof mobs. otherwise an option if have no money for arrows.

i wish we got any of the client improvements like bag clicking or the tradeskill menu. I don't know what entirely is available to underfoot but dang I still have to equip my gate neck or put it into the designated no-bag slot in my inventory because years of horror stories have traumatized me into ever holding a bag on my mouse cursor.

Also I am sure a few firstborns would be sacrificed for the additional spell slot aas.

Otcho you're right in every way, there's really no GOOD reason we don't have many of the QoL increases from the newer client. I personally would like to see changes for not just Ranger's but for everyone. Anything that can make the game more fun or just less of a pain, or less tedious. Trade skills are not "hard" in anyway shape or form no skill involved, they're just tedious and annoying so no reason to not fix that. Having to shuffle our inventory and items around just to use our various click's was a thing because of the old client, sadly iirc the clicky from container was after our current client by a bit. Buff's that last only 3 hours and the constant "buff bot shuffle" need to be a thing of the past.

I want QoL improvements to anything/everything that doesn't require player skill. Just because we had to deal with BS in the past isn't a valid reason to not fix it for the future and moving forward.

Sky Darkeners could be changed to 10 damage keeping bane type made from trade skills the best, remove lore and make it a clicky that you can create a few stacks in minutes.

If fletching is an absolute must for w/e reason, make endless quiver a thing but make the fletched arrows no rent, and have it summon one arrow per click with only 20 clicks per quiver.

Also put the recipe book back into the game.

Last edited:
Also doesn't address the requirement of the only class to have to pay to do their main function, or juggling inventory and bank space dedicated to all the types of arrows.

Melee have to juggle just as many banes and hold on to tiers old pieces of bane gear in their bank. Rangers have to pay, but get access to top bane whenever the put the time/money into fletching instead of waiting 4-8 tiers for upgrades.

I do endorse the reduced amount of clicks petition though

Having to shuffle our inventory and items around just to use our various click's was a thing because of the old client, sadly iirc the clicky from container was after our current client by a bit. Buff's that last only 3 hours and the constant "buff bot shuffle" need to be a thing of the past.

I want QoL improvements to anything/everything that doesn't require player skill. Just because we had to deal with BS in the past isn't a valid reason to not fix it for the future and moving forward.

If google is to be trusted it is veil of alaris and thats 2 expacs too late. I could've sworn this was possible a long time ago but I guess I just have brain problems. But yes I agree so many tiresome and unnecessary things still exist.

If google is to be trusted it is veil of alaris and thats 2 expacs too late. I could've sworn this was possible a long time ago but I guess I just have brain problems. But yes I agree so many tiresome and unnecessary things still exist.
iirc they were inventory clickable prior to VoA just not from bags.

Melee have to juggle just as many banes and hold on to tiers old pieces of bane gear in their bank. Rangers have to pay, but get access to top bane whenever the put the time/money into fletching instead of waiting 4-8 tiers for upgrades.

I do endorse the reduced amount of clicks petition though

I want to see melee not have to do the inventory juggle also, there is no reason for it being a thing other than that it currently exists and it's own existence somehow justifies it to keep going.

I haven't really main'ed a melee in SoD so I haven't been able to post much about it. I can say without a doubt that yourself and many other melee's on this server should also get QoL improvements in that regard. There's literally years worth of player posts about these things and maybe it's time SoD found it's way to 2018. Atm I mostly try and tackle things like smithing, fletching, Ranger's and the "buff bot shuffle" since those are thing's I can speak from with experience and don't feel I can properly push for specific things for melee, how ever yes melee should get a better QoL when it comes to the whole bane thing and inventory.

There's even an old post describing any spell that has a reagent that can be done with a summoned reagent then the reagent should be removed altogether, I support that idea also whole heartily.

Last edited:
There's even an old post describing any spell that has a reagent that can be done with a summoned reagent then the reagent should be removed altogether, I support that idea also whole heartily.

Eliminating getting dots summoned, and making buffs last much longer, or /gasp permanent, would go a long way to get me playing again. I tried to play again, and I just g=couldn't be bothered with the buff/summon process. It, and tradeskilling as is, is wasting time just to waste time.
Tradeskilling right now is certainly not hard, it is just tedious. There is no challenge, there is just carpal tunnel and boredom.

Eliminating getting dots summoned, and making buffs last much longer, or /gasp permanent, would go a long way to get me playing again. I tried to play again, and I just g=couldn't be bothered with the buff/summon process. It, and tradeskilling as is, is wasting time just to waste time.
Tradeskilling right now is certainly not hard, it is just tedious. There is no challenge, there is just carpal tunnel and boredom.
Yep I know a few former CW folks that talked about playing again a few months ago but just couldn't do it due to the various things that take away from the game, that pretty much just about every modern game doesn't do anymore.

Most MMOs have content that falls into this category if you examine them hard enough, even the successful ones.
To be fair though that's not a reason to not try and do better.

I can't think of a single game out there that has a manual trade skill system like SoD.

Lets count the clicks to make one quiver not counting what it takes to buy the supplies from the vendor or farming the additional part and assuming holding Ctrl+left mouse.

First you need 10 bundles of superb varnished arrows equals 50 clicks (4 parts plus combine)

Then combine those ten bundles to a large bundle another assuming you inventory shuffled so all the bundles fall into another fletching kit then split the stack of 10 so 9 clicks plus combine so 60 clicks per large bundle minimum

You need 5 large bundles so 300 clicks later

now you need a quiver and 5 clicks to move the large bundles, 1 click to move imbuing agent plus combine.

307 clicks to create one quiver IF you already have max fletching and pre-juggled your inventory to minimize clicks. I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous, there's nothing hard about doing trade skills. The only thing "hard" is if you have the patients to sit there and do something long, boring and tedious and it just ends up being a deterrent that keeps most folks from doing trade skills.

Back when I actively played I went through a quiver every 2 days at the longest on a long delay bow (elemental only as general use, bane types for raids or 6 mans not factored in). That's over 800 clicks per week plus about 750pp minimum in parts and toss in farm time for the additional part for just general elemental quivers for exp/farming.

Absolute hell for any ranger with a fast delay.

Edit: forgot to account for the bundles stacking and needing to be split before the large bundle can be made.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom