Sky darkener

To be fair though that's not a reason to not try and do better.
Never claimed otherwise, I just don't think its a noteworthy justification for changing something on its own. As far as my opinions on fletching and arrows? Complete overkill, but that is just my opinion so don't expect anything to change just cause I said something.

Never claimed otherwise, I just don't think its a noteworthy justification for changing something on its own. As far as my opinions on fletching and arrows? Complete overkill, but that is just my opinion so don't expect anything to change just cause I said something.
fair enough.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but has anyone actually parsed the difference between Sky Darkeners and 8+4 bane arrows on applicable targets? A ranger I talked to swore up and down that the bane arrows significantly outdid Sky Darkeners. He was pretty unhappy when he discovered that because he loved being able to proc a stack of those things instead of buying quivers. By the numbers one would assume they'd do the same damage against the proper bane NPCs, and I haven't parsed it myself, but it's plausible the bane damage is being apply funkily. It's also plausible that the guy is mistaken.

Anyway, just food for thought.

I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but has anyone actually parsed the difference between Sky Darkeners and 8+4 bane arrows on applicable targets? A ranger I talked to swore up and down that the bane arrows significantly outdid Sky Darkeners. He was pretty unhappy when he discovered that because he loved being able to proc a stack of those things instead of buying quivers. By the numbers one would assume they'd do the same damage against the proper bane NPCs, and I haven't parsed it myself, but it's plausible the bane damage is being apply funkily. It's also plausible that the guy is mistaken.

you'd have to parse an insane amount against the same mob to get any reliable data for that on a ranger. this explanation seems highly unlikely and appears like it'd be from a faulty parse

They don't proc a stack despite what the spell info says, it's one at a time with a 13%~ proc rate.

In my experience they're about the same, the difference is one can be used on more than one monster and rangers NEED an alternative to fletching or buying quivers.

I had GoE the other night for the first time since the first night I came back and was mass killing light blues, I burnt through over 10-14 stacks of arrows in 3.75 hours easy if not more (I'm pretty sure it was closer to 20).

For anyone not counting it's very easy to burn a full quiver in 1 day. Name one other class that has to either go through trade skills wasting a ton of plat on skill up's, then go farm the parts, pay 200pp~ to the vendor at a min (it may be a bit more I haven't made them in a while), and then spend at min 307 clicks for 8 hours worth of play time or spend 500pp to the only person selling them on listsold per quiver so 500pp per 8 hours of game time on a slow delay bow in order to do the classes main job.

Name one other class in SoD that has to do that.

Ranger's NEED either endless quiver or real viable alternatives to fletching. There is no market or economy on fletching, theres one person selling quivers that makes very little profit per quiver and very few people that play rangers to buy them. I was hoping shadow storm could be changed since that at least would give upper end folks an alternative but Marza already said that all the alternatives were nerfed so there wouldn't be any real alternatives.

Let that sink in, the only real option for just one class to do it's main function is either pay out regularly or sink a ton of time, payout plat regularly, and tedious clicking through trade skills, further the recipe book was taken out of the game to keep the manual tedious way.

I can't be the only person that puts all of that together and goes WTF.

Make the 3rd ranger tome increase returning arrow by 4% per tome so when you have all four ranks done you have endless quiver.

Make the 3rd ranger tome increase returning arrow by 4% per tome so when you have all four ranks done you have endless quiver.
That still doesn't address the real issue.

Name one other class in this game that has to jump through the same kind of hoops rangers have to in order to do their primary function.

That still doesn't address the real issue.

Name one other class in this game that has to jump through the same kind of hoops rangers have to in order to do their primary function.
strong argument against ever reworking make poison/traps. Genuinely concerned a certain gnome is going to come out of the woodworks and make you require foraged ingredients for quivers in the imminent future.

strong argument against ever reworking make poison/traps. Genuinely concerned a certain gnome is going to come out of the woodworks and make you require foraged ingredients for quivers in the imminent future.
ehh could be worse, you could need trade skills in order to backstab or melee at all with the only none trade skill option's would mean taking a considerable drop in dps.

Why dont we just implement bane/elemental damage AAs? "Balanced" against AA costs. Fletching can then be streamlined. Would that have any traction?
Sadly it seems the power's that be want the bane system to be convoluted and the inventory juggle. It comes across as if it's a pain then people wont do it sorta thing, but this is eq/sod where people will do just about anything to min/max even if it's .05% and they're silly if they don't think of that as a possibility.

It's unfortunate the entire bane system revamp was because a few rogues and monks from my guild (CW) back in the day were getting ridiculous dps by stacking bane off of the thurg bounty items and instead of capping bane or nerfing the thurg gear we got a body/bane system and fletching revamp that no one wanted.

It's unfortunate the entire bane system revamp was because a few rogues and monks from my guild (CW) back in the day were getting ridiculous dps by stacking bane off of the thurg bounty items and instead of capping bane or nerfing the thurg gear we got a body/bane system and fletching revamp that no one wanted.

1 rogue doing 2800 dps on prime twins infront of tao who was parsing in fwf.

1 rogue doing 2800 dps on prime twins infront of tao who was parsing in fwf.
No one disputing bane damage stacking was broken, cap worn damage problem solved.

An entire revamp of the bane/body type system and fletching was massive overkill.

Fletching being a terrible idea must be a new topic.
Lol

Nah Im just playing again and since Im around Im pushing for changes for the better.

Tbh you've had a lot of solid ideas over the years, wish they listened to you more.

First you need 10 bundles of superb varnished arrows equals 50 clicks (4 parts plus combine)

Then combine those ten bundles to a large bundle another assuming you inventory shuffled so all the bundles fall into another fletching kit then split the stack of 10 so 9 clicks plus combine so 60 clicks per large bundle minimum

You need 5 large bundles so 300 clicks later

now you need a quiver and 5 clicks to move the large bundles, 1 click to move imbuing agent plus combine.

307 clicks to create one quiver IF you already have max fletching and pre-juggled your inventory to minimize clicks. I'm sorry but that's just ridiculous, there's nothing hard about doing trade skills. The only thing "hard" is if you have the patients to sit there and do something long, boring and tedious and it just ends up being a deterrent that keeps most folks from doing trade skills.

It's actually 9 clicks per combine, not 5, because you have to click to pick the item up, then click to put it down. So, 90 per bundle = 109 per large bundle, so a minimum of 554 clicks to make a quiver(not counting the clicks to move bags, it's only an extra 6 clicks or so total regardless)

It's even worse than you made it sound!

It's actually 9 clicks per combine, not 5, because you have to click to pick the item up, then click to put it down. So, 90 per bundle = 109 per large bundle, so a minimum of 554 clicks to make a quiver(not counting the clicks to move bags, it's only an extra 6 clicks or so total regardless)

It's even worse than you made it sound!
Lol you're right, missed those.

Tbh I don't expect it to ever be fixed, it's been around for years. It's what I've taken to calling the "Ranger tax", the only class in game that has a plat requirement or massive time sink+plat requirement just to play. Oh sure people will say "but what about arrow making rig?" Sure you just have to do vah quests and tmaps in order to get a 3dmg arrow clicky that instantly stops you from being comparable dps, theres also nightmare arrow clicky, sure a raid tier 5 monster with a meh drop rate to get 6dmg arrows which are still not viable. No other class must deal with that kind of BS.

It could be fixed immediately, change "returning shot" to "endless quiver" and end the madness.

Sure someone will complain "but what about fletching as a skill". It sucks, pretty much everyone hates it and only one person sells quivers and they practically sell them for cost.

Revamp fletching to a ton less clicks, as each vendor buyable combine becomes trivial it unlocks as vendor buyable up to large bundles, reduce number of combines per skill up, simple, done.

At most a few hours of coding, probably less.

Last edited:
Lol you're right, missed those.

Tbh I don't expect it to ever be fixed, it's been around for years. It's what I've taken to calling the "Ranger tax", the only class in game that has a plat requirement or massive time sink+plat requirement just to play. Oh sure people will say "but what about arrow making rig?" Sure you just have to do vah quests and tmaps in order to get a 3dmg arrow clicky that instantly stops you from being comparable dps, theres also nightmare arrow clicky, sure a raid tier 5 monster with a meh drop rate to get 6dmg arrows which are still not viable. No other class must deal with that kind of BS.

It could be fixed immediately, change "returning shot" to "endless quiver" and end the madness.

Sure someone will complain "but what about fletching as a skill". It sucks, pretty much everyone hates it and only one person sells quivers and they practically sell them for cost.

Revamp fletching to a ton less clicks, as each vendor buyable combine becomes trivial it unlocks as vendor buyable up to large bundles, reduce number of combines per skill up, simple, done.

At most a few hours of coding, probably less.
What fletching needs is a quest (or series) that can only be done at max skill, that gives quivers of endless arrows as the quest reward.

Back
Top Bottom