new player catchingup/retention

halen

Dalayan Beginner
So one of the problems for new players is they can't just come in and grow with a guild. they immediately get thrown into t10+ content, have to complete multiple long quest lines, spell quests, and complete a ton of tomes to catch up. now some of them, the progression quests in particular probably don't need touched. but making spell frags/quests and the tomes ( not opus) require much less xp for each. This would allow new players to catch up at a reasonable pace, and feel like they are accomplishing goals as a reasonable pace and not give up. might be a far fetched idea but could help us retain newer players and get them fighting fit a bit quicker.

i feel like portions of the mainquest (namely heartlands factions) could be sped up. Vah should have more * versions of mobs or alternatives to completing some of the steps as well, although it seems the biggest bottleneck these days is ED maps. Relic and archaic spells should be made significantly easier to obtain. I think tome exp is fine as it is, especially with opus dropping in exp zones, allowing you to complete your most powerful books pretty early on in a characters life cycle. You could clear almost all of the content in the game with an entire raid having no more than 10 tomes. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to your early tome exp going faster than normal.

those wouldn't be bad either. could do a few quick things like increasing faction obtained that wouldn't be hard to implement. I do think lessening tome requirement would be beneficial as well those first 10-15 tomes can be very daunting for new players.

i also think the first several tomes should xp at an accelerated rate to get people into the action faster.

as for the bottlenecks, i always found the very random bottlenecks (archaic frags for example) to be very aggravating. it would be nice if there were quests for analogs. like if you get 10 of any archaic frag, you can smash them into a book and hand them to the poot and he can give you your missing frag, or the whole thing. Similarly with yclist pages if you're missing just one, it would be handy if there was a yclistinte paper shredder that let you convert pages you don't need into confetti. with X heaps of confetti you can get the missing component.

I know it's small potatoes but i found the tail end of the faction quests (silvercrown / blackscale) to be slow and grinding the first way through. it would be cool if there was a way to use any other sort of activity as a stand-in to progress that. Similar to how refuge likes claw weapons, what if the main factions liked items found in xp spots? and you could turn those in at the end to skip some of the more grindy quests?

also murk is absurdly long and grindy, and as a new player you get the impression that you need to do it when you reach iksith when you really should be doing MQ > refuge > joining a raid guild. I don't have any specifics but it feels like murk should level twice as fast as it does. heh

it's tough when you're main and/or only character is way far behind and it's a drag to help you.

I know it's small potatoes but i found the tail end of the faction quests (silvercrown / blackscale) to be slow and grinding the first way through. it would be cool if there was a way to use any other sort of activity as a stand-in to progress that. Similar to how refuge likes claw weapons, what if the main factions liked items found in xp spots? and you could turn those in at the end to skip some of the more grindy quests?
Never done CoI myself so who knows how gnomes work, but for both SC and BS the following is true: you can skip quests. Heck, what you suggest here is exactly what blackscale artifacts quest is: goto that one xp spot, get me that one item. Did it with enough spots and items and was able to skip two other tasks entirely.

Never done CoI myself so who knows how gnomes work, but for both SC and BS the following is true: you can skip quests. Heck, what you suggest here is exactly what blackscale artifacts quest is: goto that one xp spot, get me that one item. Did it with enough spots and items and was able to skip two other tasks entirely.
I did like the blackscale for that part. I'd like to see more stuff like that that recycles various mobs for purpose, and lets you side option long faction quests and such.

Back
Top Bottom