2.5 Update - 09/14/15 (and a plea)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taryth

Administrator
Staff member
I've taken to updating the main news page with major bug fixes, so that's probably a good place to get the latest going forward. We've fixed some major issues, and the game FEELS more stable to me. I like that.

I'm working on getting it so we can see 2.5 petitions in real time and respond to them; that should make it easier to get things done. If you get stuck or something, you can petition and we will be able to help. I will post when this is done.

I have a list of 8 things yet remaining on the bug list that must be addressed prior to rollout. They don't *seem* too hard, but you know how it is. I'm hoping this week to knock all 8 out. Other minor bugs still exist, but we can fix those as we go, like guildmotd's and such.

We need more people to play on beta, please. My fear is we're going to miss something major, make the cut-over and something will be terribly broken. We can address that now by broadening the testing. Folks should have accounts over there just like live (as of about 2 weeks ago) - give it a shot and see how it works for you. Grab the EQ Live game, put it in a 2.5 folder, then grab the patcher from https://shardsofdalaya.com/patcher25/sodpatcher.exe and throw it in there and you're ready to go.

I'm going to be stupid and put a date on this thing. By the time Halloween rolls around, I want to be on 2.5. The only way this happens is if I have the confidence we're not going to die doing this. I need your help for that. Please play 2.5 some more. Exploit the shit out of it. Crash zones. Just tell me about it. :) If I see folks playing, and the bugs are minor, we're gonna do this. But I can't say it enough - I need your help.

Things to test:
- Raids! Almost no one has tested raids
- Groups - make sure they are doing what they need to
- Pets (yours and NPC pets, watch for weird damage or abilities)
- Major quests
- Vendors
- Faction - con the hell out of everything, please. Report any anomalies (for example, I got one that said undead in FOB were indifferent - that's a great finding)
- Events. I'd love to get someone to test things like Tur'ruj. Hell, I will spawn it as often as you like.
- AA and tome effects

Please track me down in IRC if you have questions. I hang out in there almost constantly. You can join the #25testing channel if you like, or PM me directly.

-t

Nice one good weekend away eh.
Can we get our beta tester char transfered to 2.5 instead of the live char if we beta test?
Can we have a Oops a wiped you heal npc /autofollow us so we can test raids without actually requiring a raid ^^

Good questions.

- Can we get our beta tester char transfered to 2.5 instead of the live char if we beta test?
Probably not, though once I'm confident there are no more duping bugs and insane exp exploits (there were :)), I am going to crank the exp way up and transfer it to people.

- Can we have a Oops a wiped you heal npc
Not sure what you mean by this? Sounds like it may have potential

- is 6 boxing allowed on 2.5 beta?
You can 25-box for all I care.

Also, some folks have been VERY good about bugs and feedback. Your work has not gone unnoticed. I will work out something to thank those people who really have put in a tremendous amount of efforts sharing bug reports and such. I'm not sure that that is yet, but I will work on it.

- Can we have a Oops a wiped you heal npc
Not sure what you mean by this? Sounds like it may have potential
There was an NPC at one time, when a raid died to a bugged monster, who when hailed would wipe DF and restore the character to full HP/Mana. It was pretty cool. I may have screenshots somewhere.

Edit: and there were backup singers

S0ltgRD.png

Last edited:
Marza used it when we were testing his mobs. if you can contact him he may be able to help you with it Taryth (i want to say it as a Dark elf form of Nylastrazara and like Enasc said it knocked off Df and have 1005 stamina, mana and hp.)

Last edited:
Tried to change the UI from default to default_old in the hope to get the old spell icons back(not exactly a bug but I wont play with the new icons)
and got a client crash.Since then every time upon loading the zone file (Felwithe) the client crashes.
Tried to change it back in the appropriate ui_char_.ini but it already says default and not default_old (in main/uiskin),client keeps crashing nonetheless.

edit:
Oh yeah the loading times are just horrible and I cant start a second instance of the patcher.

So lets see how this thing looks atm:
Cant log in at all
Cant start 2nd client
Horrible loading times
Undistinguishable spell icons (that is major on SoD as you are forced to play others chars occasinally)

Last edited:
Tried to change the UI from default to default_old in the hope to get the old spell icons back(not exactly a bug but I wont play with the new icons)
and got a client crash.Since then every time upon loading the zone file (Felwithe) the client crashes.
Tried to change it back in the appropriate ui_char_.ini but it already says default and not default_old (in main/uiskin),client keeps crashing nonetheless.
There is a UI option for spell icons on the eqinterface.com. I use it myself on the beta. Just search old spell icons and it will come up.

OK, lots to catch up on.

- The Oops I Killed You Bot
Woldaff's greatest creation. I don't object to throwing in a /cm wealldied command for the duration of beta, sure. I will add that tonight. When you issue that command, it will summon this guy. If you haven't seen it, it's worth the show.

- is it possible for me to just patch over my current SoD folder to play 2.5 beta?
Only if you don't want to play 2.0. The two cannot mutually co-exist in the same folder. You CAN just copy the folder and put the 2.5 patcher in the new folder. You likely will have a DirectX error if you do this though; there is a post in the 2.5 Beta forums about how to fix this (it's easy and even works on Windows 10, I speak from experience here)

- Can we eliminate the monk and beastlord classes on 2.5?
Monk sure. Beastlord stays, I worked too hard on that.

- Phase 2: get added to steam!
I doubt Steam, but getting added to EQEmu is definitely in the plans. It won't happen right away though, there are some logistical considerations with account management and patching.

- Tried to change the UI from default to default_old in the hope to get the old spell icons back(not exactly a bug but I wont play with the new icons)
The client is WAY newer. You need to use something more recent. Don't get pissy because a set of things from 12 years ago doesn't work with a new client. We haven't even addressed UI customization, it's just not a priority. There be dragons, prolly.

- Cant log in at all
You fucked with your UI and the client crashes. That's hardly the server's fault. The client does not handle error situations well.

That said, there's an interesting issue that cropped up last night where someone could load one or the other of their chars, in a zone, but not both (zone crashes). I can't reproduce this on test, so I'm working on this one as a high priority. Strangely, I do not have this problem at all with any of my PCs or dev toons, so I suspect it's localized to one of the toons? Maybe? If anyone else has this issue, please tell me so I have a bigger data set to work with.

- Cant start 2nd client
This is flat out incorrect. I've had 4 running at the same time. You don't need two patchers running simultaneously - the window stays open, you can simply hit run game again to spawn a second client.

- Horrible loading times
I agree with this one, it loads slow. I think part of this is the limited resources we can allocate to the server at present. Not much I can do about this one right now.

- Undistinguishable spell icons (that is major on SoD as you are forced to play others chars occasinally)
Amazingly people were able to play the game, though. Let's not make a huge deal out of something that a) is comparatively minor and b) can be fixed by an enterprising player.
Oh, Swiftur even answered this for me: There is a UI option for spell icons on the eqinterface.com. I use it myself on the beta. Just search old spell icons and it will come up.
For the record, the client we are using right now is compatible with Seeds of Destruction. Yeah, SoD. It's more than a little confusing in code. :)

- Will any tradeskills/$$ transfers be going on for the same duration that the exp transfers go on?
Tradeskills I am not sure about, the new system trivializes tradeskills to some extent and I've heard a lot of concerns about that. I need to figure out what we're gonna do there, so don't hold me to that one quite yet. :)
$$, hmm, hadn't thought about that, I worry a bit about dupe bugs and the like, but probably as we get closer to release we can do something like that.

Keep em coming!

how hard would it be to add the berserker class with 2.5? i know its been said many times that the staff doesn't see any point in the class but i personally would welcome it.

Allow Raids to transfer loot to 2.0 until release and I bet people will play the shit out of 2.5/2.9/3.0/onlyaweekaway. (For non-broken things.) For broken events....fame maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom