A real life Superhero

triptoy2002

Dalayan Adventurer
I was 9 years old. The sister I was playing on the front stoop with, Susan, at the time was 12. Mom and dad were out at the time, and my other sisters were in the basement watching TV.

I had a bunch of caps for a cap gun, and we were smashing them with rocks, and giggling hyserically as they popped. I wanted more though, I wanted to blow them all up at once, I mean, what fun is popping them one at a time? So I told Susan I had an idea, and I grabbed the gas can my dad kept near the end of the driveway. Now this would be fun!

I poured a little gas from the can over the whole roll of caps, and used the lighter dad had left in the living room to ignite it. It worked great, they all began to pop and explode, it was awesome! After they had all blown however, there was still the issue of this tiny fire covering about a 4 inch radius area of the front stoop. Susan decided to go grab some water from inside the house to put it up, and stepped over the gas can to get to the door. In doing so, her foot caught the can, and knocked it over, spilling gass all over the stoop.

Instantly the fire spread, it was so amazing, just like the movies! We were dumbfounded, just backing a few steps into the yard as the fire spread to the 5 nearby evergreen bushes, burning hotter and brighter. Soon the flames were reaching the soffet of the roof of the house, and even reaching well beyond that. It all happened so fast, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I was going to stop the 30 foot flames which had already engulfed a portion of the wall and roof. By now we were scared, and would have begun panicing, but suddenly were heard the sound of a motorcycle revving its engine loudly, coming straight up to us.

The guy pulled into our driveway fast, screeched to a stop, kicked down the stand, and jumped off. He was dressed all in black leather. Gloves, jacket, big boots, and a black full face helmet with a tinted visor, so I never saw his face. He yelled to us, 'WHERE'S THE HOSE?!?' Stunned, we just pointed toward the back of the house. He ran full speed straight through the front door, out the back door, grabbed the hose, turned it on, and with the hose still running, ran back through the house and out the front door. He soaked the burning house, the bushes, the stoop, everything. The water beat the flames down, and within a few minutes, he had extinguished the blaze.

We lived about 6 blocks from the nearest fire station, and a neighbor had called it in, so just as he finished putting out the fire a fire truck pulled around the corner a block and a half away, with its sirens on. He finished with the fire, threw the hose down, got back on his bike, kick started it, and rode off full speed, popping a wheelie as he went. My sister and I just stood there, our mouths wide open, watching as this masked man disappeared around the corner. Moments later, the firetruck pulled up, and the men questioned us about the fire. We told them that a spark had kicked off of the caps we were bashing with rocks, and landed on the gas can which happened to be nearby. We never told them, or our parents, that I had poured gas on the caps.

29 years later, my family was gathered at my parents house for dinner. We were laughing, and talking about how our house had been set on fire twice, once by mice chewing through the wires, and once because of my sister and I playing with caps. Susan then said, 'Well, if you hadn't poured gas on them, it never would've happened.' Suddenly her face changed to an "Oops!" expression as she realized that she had told. Everyone in the room fell silent for a moment, and my mother tossed a disapproving look my way. I just shook my head and said, 'I thought we were going to take that to the grave.' It was a funny moment, after 29 years.

It reminded me of the random stranger, the Superhero, that had saved our home, and I thought I'd share ;)

tl;dr - A leather-clad masked man on a motorcycle saved my house from burning 29 years ago, and my sister recently told that I had poured gas on caps to make them explode.

Last edited:
"Hi-yo, Silver, away!"

A month or so later we came to find out it was a guy that was a friend of a friend, and just happened to be driving by and saw the flames. He was a 30ish year old guy that lived with his wife a few blocks down. There was still several thousand dollars worth of damage done to the house, and all 5 evergreen bushes were toast after that, but he possibly saved the lives of my other sisters who were in the basement at the time. A real Superhero.

HAHA! That was a great story too! So odd how after a number of years, things just become funny like that. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom