Abs + bard DA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melodico

Dalayan Elder
A strat that has been used w great success on phased fights is to group wizards and a bard, begin abs. and then follow it w group DA.

Is this a legit strat or is this another example of "exploiting"?

So deliberately avoid the intentional downside of a spell while allowing its beneficial parts to run. Gross. Looking at a fix for this, but I'd stop using it.

Yeah after chatting about this, definitely not good. Fix will be incoming, but it's not legit.

this seems legit... i mean the downside of the spell is not to die, it's to get stunned, so i don't really see how saving your casters from possible agro and death is exploiting. i'll be the first to admit i've always target DA'd wizards when they start getting destroyed during abstraction, never thought anything of it, seems like the point of the spells ?

this seems legit... i mean the downside of the spell is not to die, it's to get stunned, so i don't really see how saving your casters from possible agro and death is exploiting. ?

class act right here. Most can tell this is a slight form of a sploit or at least something that should be mentioned.

Good jerb Melo

i mean the downside of the spell is not to die, it's to get stunned, so i don't really see how saving your casters from possible agro and death is exploiting

The spell is intentionally risky. There's a reason people call it out. Anyway, it won't matter, this will be going away.

this seems legit... i mean the downside of the spell is not to die, it's to get stunned, so i don't really see how saving your casters from possible agro and death is exploiting. i'll be the first to admit i've always target DA'd wizards when they start getting destroyed during abstraction, never thought anything of it, seems like the point of the spells ?
I told you anytime you bring up bard DA is never a good thing, ever, never has been, it should be removed people just get angry when its used.

I told you anytime you bring up bard DA is never a good thing, ever, never has been, it should be removed people just get angry when its used.

I lack words profane enough to express how I feel about your statement. The problem in this thread is Abstraction being exploitable. Suggesting taking away one of Bards' best abilities to balance one spell for another class is probably the most stupid, backwards, and stupid things I have ever read.

is probably the most stupid, backwards, and stupid things I have ever read.

To quote Blazing Saddles: "You said stupid twice."

I have not heard anyone suggest bard DA is going away, I have no intention of doing so. Abstraction is a little unique, maybe a few others should be looked at, but I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

To quote Blazing Saddles: "You said stupid twice."

I have not heard anyone suggest bard DA is going away, I have no intention of doing so. Abstraction is a little unique, maybe a few others should be looked at, but I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
Babies smell funny and don't taste very good. Sounds like garbage to me! ;)

i have never used bard da with abstraction, refer that comment to the OP. i was referring to cleric target DA

lol post exposing deein for blatantly exploiting scythe got deleted, classic

Last edited:
the title of this thread is about bard DA, so fine i'll correct myself, but my point still stands if you have to think should i use bard da/cleric da/whatever you should 9 times outa 10 stop right there with that train of thought, i've never seen "use DA" as part of a strat a dev has ever intended or been happy to hear about, infact the only thing I ever hear about using DA on a fight has been negative.

Well, here's a good rule of thumb:

DA is intended to prevent casting and meleeing and such. So in this case the autocast was circumventing that principle, hence bad. That's the reasoning.

Target DA is fine for a number of things:

- Positioning, particularly on initial engage
- "Oh Shit" protection of a player
- RARELY for getting past some things - its use is sanctioned, for example in Nagthilian. In many cases though, it may be content skipping, so be careful.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, it's Friday and my brain is warped with routing tables. But this is why I don't think DA is a bad thing, as long as folks keep in mind its intent, and it's desired restrictions.

Well, here's a good rule of thumb:

DA is intended to prevent casting and meleeing and such. So in this case the autocast was circumventing that principle, hence bad. That's the reasoning.

Target DA is fine for a number of things:

- Positioning, particularly on initial engage
- "Oh Shit" protection of a player
- RARELY for getting past some things - its use is sanctioned, for example in Nagthilian. In many cases though, it may be content skipping, so be careful.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, it's Friday and my brain is warped with routing tables. But this is why I don't think DA is a bad thing, as long as folks keep in mind its intent, and it's desired restrictions.

9/10 players know and understand simple rules even if they aren't clearly expressed. that 1/10 tho.....

the title of this thread is about bard DA, so fine i'll correct myself, but my point still stands if you have to think should i use bard da/cleric da/whatever you should 9 times outa 10 stop right there with that train of thought, i've never seen "use DA" as part of a strat a dev has ever intended or been happy to hear about, infact the only thing I ever hear about using DA on a fight has been negative.
i don't disagree with you here draeos. i also don't completely disagree with your suggestion to remove the spell completely, simply because it seems every real situation bard da gets used in, some dev is unhappy or says it's unintended. i can't think of a situation bard da gets used where a gm/dev/whatever wouldn't shake their head at it, even if it is "technically" legal

Master of the Pack would like a word with you!!

To clarify the confusion sabuti seems to experience:
casting abstraction, fine.
casting bard DA, fine.
having abstraction do its auto cast thing while having bard DA, not fine.

That is what Taryths statement is about: you avoid the intentional downside of DA (can't cast while DA'd) due to abstraction autocast, while having its beneficial effects (read: invulnerability). If anyone thinks THAT is working as intended, idk what to tell you.

Last edited:
This thread is turning into some group experiment on video game theory.

When making a product for a customer you must think of all the dumb possibilities the real world can bring to your end item. One of the first things you learn in any programming class is how to eliminate or reduce errors and crashing from user input. It's not the user/customers fault if your program breaks or performs "incorrectly."

Imagine walking up to an ATM. It asks you how much money you wish to pull out. You enter 'x'. Free money comes out of the machine. Who is at fault? You? Obama?

I understand SoD is a free clusterfuck of good intention, but it is still a product that has a user base. However putting one person or a group of people, the development team, to blame is pointless. We should aim for people on both sides, player and creator, of this game to be more transparent with one another.

Creating this thread and letting the development team know of this spell combination was a good thing. Clearly they were not aware of this possibly. However, being judgmental to someone who you feel isn't self policing themselves harshly enough when playing a game is silly.

Not sure where I was going with this... Have fun out there and good game.

This thread is turning into some group experiment on video game theory.

When making a product for a customer you must think of all the dumb possibilities the real world can bring to your end item. One of the first things you learn in any programming class is how to eliminate or reduce errors and crashing from user input. It's not the user/customers fault if your program breaks or performs "incorrectly."

Imagine walking up to an ATM. It asks you how much money you wish to pull out. You enter 'x'. Free money comes out of the machine. Who is at fault? You? Obama?

I understand SoD is a free clusterfuck of good intention, but it is still a product that has a user base. However putting one person or a group of people, the development team, to blame is pointless. We should aim for people on both sides, player and creator, of this game to be more transparent with one another.

Creating this thread and letting the development team know of this spell combination was a good thing. Clearly they were not aware of this possibly. However, being judgmental to someone who you feel isn't self policing themselves harshly enough when playing a game is silly.

Not sure where I was going with this... Have fun out there and good game.

spend that money the ATM machine gives you and watch if you dont go to jail for not giving it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom