Adventures In Texture Editing

Wow it works! There is an iksar ghost there! Cool!

It's like when you develop a picture you've been looking forward to seeing and there ends up being a creepy "ghost" streak looming over your shoulder! (Even creepier considering this undead chap mirrors the very much alive Venril Sathir--er, I mean Kaezul--on the opposite side!) :keke:

I need to get an idea of whether more people are broken or not. I did the same thing during the April Fools joke to get it to display in the entire screen, and got quite a few people saying I broke them when they used to be fine.

If more people are on the "now broken - after fixed" side, I will happily throw this up on the patcher.

I need to get an idea of whether more people are broken or not. I did the same thing during the April Fools joke to get it to display in the entire screen, and got quite a few people saying I broke them when they used to be fine.

If more people are on the "now broken - after fixed" side, I will happily throw this up on the patcher.

Keep me posted, though I spoke to one person who said the image displayed properly on her laptop but not on her desktop, so that is a case in which a serverside patch would be a net zero. I'm just glad to hear people's excitement over finally seeing the splash as it was intended. :)

Now for another adventure in texturing editing! I've confirmed that textures for weapons and even weapon particles can be edited with relative ease! Here are four screenshots I hope people enjoy.

WandoftheHighResearcher_zpsd36d7380.jpg

Wand of the High Researcher
(Note the modded particles.)

AncientPet_zpsf4dc77d3.jpg

Enchanter Ancient Pet
(The shield texture's orientation was inverted by mistake. It would be an easy fix.)

ShieldofMeditativeTerror_zps8c9c07ef.jpg

Shield of Meditative Terror
(Looking nice and manly, Duchess Lindstrom! :toot:)

HalberdofKillingFrost_zps61426d63.jpg

Halberd of Killing Frost
(Finally worthy of the name!)​

Grinkles, the biggest thing you need to figure out is h ow to shove the textures into the unused texture numbers! We can have all sorts of fun shit if we can avoid overwriting everything,

Grinkles, the biggest thing you need to figure out is h ow to shove the textures into the unused texture numbers! We can have all sorts of fun shit if we can avoid overwriting everything,

My ears are burning. I need a little insight into how item entries are laid out, though. I have it in my head that if you want to create, say, a new item that uses a basic scythe model, at some point there's a field where you designate the scythe textures to be used (which are scythe-blade.bmp and scythe-handle.bmp in gequip.s3d). Or is there only a field for designating the model used and the textures fall into place on their own? If the latter is the case, I believe it's handled by the .wld (world) file, which I cannot peep into.

In other words, what does the part of a super simple item entry that only deals with the item's appearance actually look like?

Is your loading screen splash artwork broken for Shards of Dalaya? Does it stretch and cut off where it isn't supposed to? I'm looking for volunteers to try a fix on their own machines. I managed to get the loading art working 100% fine at all resolutions on my own computer, but Waldoff tells me that the stretching and cutoff are not the same for everyone. That said, would some of you please try downloading this ~600 KB file and replacing the one by the same name in your EQ SoD directory? You may want to make a copy of the old one just to be safe prior to doing the overwrite.

Would really appreciate feedback on this from those willing to give it a go! (Hopefully the Google Drive link works, because this is the first time I've tried using it.)

You get all the likes forever and ever. The new file works and my only minor knit pick is that it looks kind of small. That might be related to my resolution (1600X1000), but I know nothing about anything so hard to say.

Much fame for Grinkles!

Grinkles may have unintentionally created a new deving section lol, if theres other people working on these sort of things I think it would be great. We have a custom server why not unique and eye catching armor/weapons.

Edit if you can go ahead and make Scimitar of the Ghan look baller, great job on the shield/sword above.

Last edited:
hmmmmm I was just thinking about 3.0, that client has some amazing armor/weapon textures it would probably be a good idea to maybe round up some folks like Grinkles and maybe tier along with others to make some really eye popping stuff.

That bmpwad8.s3d worked great, it hasn't loaded properly for me on any of my machines in five years.

I know the conversation moved on... but yeah. Thanks :)

That bmpwad8.s3d worked great, it hasn't loaded properly for me on any of my machines in five years.

I know the conversation moved on... but yeah. Thanks :)

My pleasure. ;)

A few Druids have grumbled over the years about the blandness of their gray Murk froggy. Once they realize it is possible with illusions to force their frog into one of the other textures (such as the base orange-and-blue frog or the "volcano" frog), they are keen to have me do them the favor, especially if we plan on staying in a zone for a long period of time.

Here are some color schemes I cooked up that might spark some interest among you treehuggers who are weary of the gray. Also note that in cases where a single model wireframe utilizes a number of different textures, these textures are all freely swappable with a little clever editing. In other words, if you have your heart set on overwriting the gray frog with the volcano frog indefinitely on your end, it would only require a few clicks; the color schemes provided below are simply to stir interest and show what is possible.

DruidFrogPet_zps07556cfc.jpg

Fun fact: The base texture for this poison frog model (orange with blue limbs) is based on a real poison dart frog.

I have played SoD on 4 different machines since I started back in 2006, and not once has my loading screen worked correctly. It's always been expanded way to much, and cut off.

Tried out Grinkles DL, and shockingly it worked! Whatever he did, he did it right.

I was not broken on my older laptop but the file posted in this thread broke it. I run at desktop resolution of 1680x1050 and EQ resolution of 1280x800. See below:

What I had:
SplashScreen_OLD.jpg

New File:
SplashScreen_NEW.jpg

Here are some color schemes I cooked up that might spark some interest among you treehuggers who are weary of the gray. Also note that in cases where a single model wireframe utilizes a number of different textures, these textures are all freely swappable with a little clever editing. In other words, if you have your heart set on overwriting the gray frog with the volcano frog indefinitely on your end, it would only require a few clicks; the color schemes provided below are simply to stir interest and show what is possible.

What clicks are these?

What clicks are these?

Here you go. I've done most of the work for you by overwriting the gray frog with the other textures.

If you want your GRAY FROG always to appear as the ORANGE/BLUE frog:

If you want your GRAY FROG always to appear as the so-called VOLCANO/LAVA FROG:

How to Install

Note: You may wish to make a backup of paf_chr.s3d in your SoD (EQ) directory prior to proceeding just in case something goes awry or you miss the gray frog later on.

1. Download the file you desire above.
  2. Remove the portion of the file name that is in all caps (e.g. GRAY TO ORANGE paf_chr.s3d -> paf_chr.s3d).
  3. Cut + paste, copy + paste, or simply drag the resulting file into your Shards of Dalaya (EverQuest) directory.
  4. When prompted to overwrite the file already by that name, click Yes.
  5. Look for a nearby file in the directory entitled paf_chr.wld.txc; if said file exists, delete it. (This is a disposable texture cache file that will prevent you from seeing the changes.)
  6. Load into the game and enjoy your new, colorful amphibian friend!

EDIT: By popular request, I've decided to make available the dark reddish frog with bright green/blue veins on its back as seen in Post #33. For Druids who are not afraid to partake of the psychedelic frog, follow the above instructions and enjoy!

Last edited:
Is your loading screen splash artwork broken for Shards of Dalaya? Does it stretch and cut off where it isn't supposed to? I'm looking for volunteers to try a fix on their own machines. I managed to get the loading art working 100% fine at all resolutions on my own computer, but Waldoff tells me that the stretching and cutoff are not the same for everyone. That said, would some of you please try downloading this ~600 KB file and replacing the one by the same name in your EQ SoD directory? You may want to make a copy of the old one just to be safe prior to doing the overwrite.

Would really appreciate feedback on this from those willing to give it a go! (Hopefully the Google Drive link works, because this is the first time I've tried using it.)

This fixed mine! For a while mine cutoff somewhere vertically down the middle and was stretched across the screen. This is cool stuff Grinkles!

Both of the Frog textures worked just fine! The Blue/Orange one is good for people who think tropical tree frog and the Lava Frog is good for people who think death metal spawn of satan frog.

Since it appears the splash screen thing only works for some maybe a mainpage post and put on the files list or otherwise sticky?

Back
Top Bottom