An Opening Void

Rymy

Developer
Staff member
There's a new mechanic to hopefully alleviate any Xi Valla confusion in cmalath. It should be pretty self-explanatory. My goal whenever I make something will be so the rules are built into the mechanics of the fight via superior coding and not rules that need to be explained.

With that said, if you believe it's bugged or doesn't make sense let me know. I may adjust the strength of this trash mob too.

The only thing that really needs to be explained is that this was just a remedy because this fight was a corner case with the current claim policy:

To claim a wing/zone/encounter, you need 6 people present and be actively killing. Once you have begun clearing, if you stop and there is a dispute, you have 30 minutes to resume killing or you can lose your claim. If you enter a wing/zone/encounter and you DO NOT kill anything, YOU DO NOT have claim.

See more about rules if you're unfamiliar with them:
https://shardsofdalaya.com/forum/threads/raid-encounter-and-6-man-content-rules.17777/
upload_2017-8-4_22-38-13.png

If I understand this correctly this should fix all the claim issues easily.

There are a few more 6 man's that might run into this sort of issue, basically any 6 man that doesn't a dedicated trash clear. Off the top of my head eniva and curator come to mind.

Could those 6-man mobs run a script when hailed by all 6 members of a group it becomes invulnerable for 30-mins to outside interference (kinda like adepts being invuln to over level cap)?

Im 99% sure no one is going to sit in OG waiting for Curator or Eniva to spawn like people do for 4.3, those are no where near as contested.

Im 99% sure no one is going to sit in OG waiting for Curator or Eniva to spawn like people do for 4.3, those are no where near as contested.
haha loser i'll be sure to link my awesome curator hat while you're asleep

So prior to anything about to be said, this Void was implemented because of a dispute on the last time this mob spawned between Resurgum members and Eternity/SB hybrid members. This was the first change on this mob's claim since its inception afaik.

So in more recent events, guild members and I were anticipating 4.3 to spawn. We got ourselves to Cmal with 6 people, and killed this Opening Void while Xi Valla was in its spawn window but not yet spawned. According to this slightly modified policy, this entitled us to the claim of 4.3. There was no other players in the zone while we entered, nor after we entered aside from an occasional tracker.

After we killed this Void a few times, a GM came in and more-or-less claimed we were "working around" this new fix, and we were "camping" the mob (keep in mind, there was nobody online disputing a claim against us). Saying we're "impeding the progress if others wanted to do the other mobs" (4.1/2), and that "killing the claim mob over and over until the mob spawns is not claim. Killing the mob once, when the mob spawns, is claim." This lead to threats of "skirting a very fine line" and warnings, and talks of changing this brand new claim mob to only spawn once Xi Valla spawns, and would be a "killshot" race from X amount of groups waiting in the lobby (not a wing).

There has always been a level of respect surrounding this mob and its claim, where if you've got a group in the wing, it was understood to have the claim on it and unless you left the zone without killing it others shouldn't really have a way of disputing that. In recent history there haven't been people sitting in the wing for days prior to its spawn window; generally people get there when the spawn window opens (and can last a while). For a highly desirable mob, sometimes this is what it takes in order to get the rewards and I don't think waiting for it to spawn inside its window is unreasonable. There have even been times where others were trying to kill 4.1/2 while I was sitting on a 4.3 claim to spawn, and I've even helped people kill the two events while I waited. I'm posting this because I genuinely feel like there's a conflict of interest going on, and that after this mob has historically been almost untouched, why now the sudden need to change it DRASTICALLY when a new guild wants to start killing it? There have been several different parties participating in this mob's death in the past year at least, who have all seemed to get along without conflict. I'd just like to know this Void's original intent, what its proposed changes are, and who actually agreed that these changes were for the better of the entire server.

As you were told last night, camping, anywhere in any fashion, is against policy. Now, regardless for what has transpired before, what needs to happen is .....no camping. As stated last night, myself(GM), and Slaariel(Admin Dev), were unaware of what was transpiring for the this mob. Now that we know, we wish to fix it to adhere to clearly stated policies on the server. Also, for the longest time, only one guild has normally had the knowledge and capability to kill said mob(until last year or early this year) so it was never really an issue. Now, there are at least 3 guilds, if not more that are in contention for it. Who can tell me what the policy for raid claim is? And has camping ever been allowed? Contentious zones are nothing new. I am in discussion with Slaariel about how we will go from here exactly. Hopefully we can get it resolved before it spawns again. I applaud Dev Rymy in trying to alleviate the situation, there need to have been more clarification for him on how to proceed, our bad. Please understand, this is not directed at anyone, it is just not in line with our other policies. Thanks, hope everyone understands what we are doing, and why.

The points you've made seem to conflict with points made in this thread. While it may not apply directly, it does carry the same principle. I don't see a vast difference in this mob's claim than to others, and I find it bizarre that even GMs and other staff have been actively killing this mob, participating in the same claim fashion, and have never brought an issue to light. I understand as acting Admin-GM as you put it, you have a role to fill and I can respect that, but does this discussion not allow for other staff members to participate seeing as you are the leader of the guild that originally brought upon this change?

As you were told last night, camping, anywhere in any fashion, is against policy.

pls explain, sounds like im not allowed to wait on any mobs spawn point for it to spawn.

for the longest time, only one guild has normally had the knowledge and capability to kill said mob(until last year or early this year) so it was never really an issue. Now, there are at least 3 guilds, if not more that are in contention for it.

wrong on so many levels. quality preowned bots killed this mob several times while shining force was the head-honcho guild killing it in 2013.

2015 comes around and the bots guild died, shining force and goon squad were now competing over 4.3 with the euros soon to follow in a few months.

hey look 3 guilds competing over a mob and having respect enough to know if one guild was sitting on its spawn point we should fuck off. this happened multiple times with both sides sitting 4 people on the pillow after the window opens.

Thanks, hope everyone understands what we are doing, and why.

i dont understand.

I honestly don't see an issue with one group constantly killing the orb, holding claim until spawn. It's no different than any toon farming an area waiting on repops.

When this post started, I figured this would happen, in that a group would keep it on lockdown in its window until spawn. Honestly if this was not the intended fix for the claim issue, then widen the window for the respawn to be beyond predictable which might discourage camping the orb.

The mob was only created only to clarify with this rule from the policy thread:
To claim a wing/zone/encounter, you need 6 people present and be actively killing. Once you have begun clearing, if you stop and there is a dispute, you have 30 minutes to resume killing or you can lose your claim. If you enter a wing/zone/encounter and you DO NOT kill anything, YOU DO NOT have claim.

The theoretical problem with this encounter is that it's one of very few encounters that are a "wing" but has no trash needed to get to the event. So it's definitely an awkward corner case. I have already expressed my opinion to Twist/Slaar but I'll leave that to them. I will agree that if you can't "camp" the spawn, it's unclear how claiming this wing is intended to work.

Stealing this from the Policy Questions thread:

In short. Respect other players in the game. It's not hard to be polite and send someone a tell and say "Hey, we are hunting here in elites (or whatever place) and have a rotation set up mind finding a different area?" Everybody wants to have fun, and it's not to much to /shout "Camp Check?". These are people you probably play the game with everyday. And at a high tier generally it's never a problem because it's a waste of time to go into someone's area and kill mob's close to another group. It's not beneficial to anybody and generally why it isn't done and why we don't have to make a "camp" rule.

The other group did not even send us tells initially before trying to leapfrog the night that Rymy essentially made this fix. In fact, we sent tells, spoke in /shout, and said several things in /say with no responses until Nomos responded to me finally saying he was talking to a member of staff (Rymy at that point I am assuming). If we could all just learn to not be complete assholes (I'll include myself here) and get somewhat along we won't even have these over-complicated issues.

Let's learn to love each other, kinda.

If this really needs a "wing" then one hypothetical solution could be to have the current click up to throne room just port you to the un-used room outside of the throne room. If I'm not mistaken, 4.3 room is actually in the 1 wing with a big room prior to it that's just sitting there. You can keep the Void mob either in the 4.1/2 wing or in this new room and just have the door in between be the physical click that sends you into the 4.3 room.

But fundamentally, I really think it's a baaaad idea to change the way this mob is claimed aside from this simple trash mob at most.

The easiest solution is to not be a fucking nerd and try to leapfrog and rule lawyer content. If you're not allowed to sit in the wing then the situation becomes a literal foot race from cmal ent or cmal 3 to the competing groups trying to KS the mob from each other which is just dumb.

Seriously though how hard is it to say "oh they are they first and attempted the encounter guess i'll go do something else"

Its just disappointing when the group thats leapfrogging contains a staff member that is doing the "rule lawyer" thing.

Perma camping or w/e name it is given to await a specific mob/event to spawn is a bad thing overall. The easiest solution which does not involve the staff to make hard decisions is to communicate and share between guilds and it should go something like this "you guys killed this mob last time , give us a chance please and next time we will yield in the same fashion."

Back
Top Bottom