Attracting new players; keep them playing.

Discussion in 'SoD Discussion' started by Snake, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Best Buds

Best Buds Dalayan Beginner

Sup Clessyboo, let's make this thread bout me n u. How's it going man? How's Taru tell that guy I said wazzup homie.

I agree. Eradicate this Gargate dork to ensure the future of large, fertile testes.

2. Nebi

Nebi Dalayan Pious Diety

when are we going to start the standing male human centipede?!

3. Wit

Wit Dalayan Adventurer

This guy gets it, probably the best idea to make SoD playable again. I would add:

Streamline the leveling process, I would add a ton of adepts, lower their respawn time and make slaughtering them to 65 the main way to level. Also make dungeons designed for leveling, where you go in at lvl 20 and come out lvl 30 with some loots then head to the next, think a cmal clear 1-3 but for lower levels where each wing was worth about 3 levels of exp, make leveling fun, right now its mostly endless grinding, people like killing named mobs with loots...

The respawn mechanic does some fun things like let you play a different main every reset. Right now most of us are way to invested in our main to restart no matter how sick of our main class we are. Sure some people reroll alts that become mains when carried long enough but this system would let you pick something new and fun or stay the same every time, this gives the game soooo much more replay value.

This game isn't built for it but having to play a warrior and a necro to unlock shadow night etc would be another cool "progression" and might lead to some cool hybrid class carryovers, like a rogue that rerolls as a ranger might have access to a "backstab" like bow shot ability. This encourages people to try other things and lets them take some of their favorite aspects of one class with them to the next.

I would attach the charm to tier progress, it might be the "key" for each tier so it scales up and you get to keep it when you respawn

Each tier also unlocks something you get to keep when rerolling like:
    t1: 25aa access to general aa tab at level 1
    t2: 50aa
    t3: 75aa innate ancients
    t4: 150aa
    t5: 250aa innate relics
    t6: 350aa
    t7: 400aa innate archaic
    t8: 450aa
    t9: 500aa start at level 20
    etc

This would make the process faster each reroll but you have farther to go so it balances blasting past the earlier tiers, farming some gear in the new tier and throwing yourself at the boss to progress again.

I would leave tomes in the game but revamp them heavily, mostly get rid of stat/resist tomes and make a lot more class tomes / EF like tomes, almost like talent trees, where doing tomes 1-4 of say the bard melee tome would unlock a new bard melee ability/tome that would lead to another etc or they could do the magic dmg tome and be more of a caster bard or the mana would would unlock a more support/tanky play style, gives classes some specialization, tanks could pick dps or tank skills, priest could pick healing or dmg, mage could pick summon or nuke focus, necro could be undead summons, dots, or taps etc. I'd let tomes be exped at the same time as AA and make the base ones accessible around lvl 55. This way even if you rerolled the same class you could play it differently. This system could grow to be very complex and diverse if there were several forks like:

Bard melee tome gives chance to quad with blade master active leads to:
    1. +5/10/15/20 to melee skill cap
    or
    2. +5/10/15/20% passive overhaste

If you picked 1:
    1.1 unlock a new stance /11 that rends the target with discordant sound, doing ???dmg and lower targets armor to 0 for 5 seconds, 15sec cd
    or
    1.2 melee hits while blade master is playing have a 5/10/15/20% chance to spread your +20 melee skill cap to group for 1 tick

if you chose 2 your choices would instead be:
    2.1 unlock a new stance /11 that rends the target with discordant sound, doing ???dmg and making the target unable to block/dodge/parry/repost for 5sec
    or
    2.2 melee hits while blade master is playing have a 5/10/15/20% chance to spread your 20% over haste to your group for 1 tick

etc etc

This would be important because with your whole guild rerolling every tier the class distribution would be in flux often so it would be important to be able to stack a raid heavy in war/paly/sks with some dps choices and if you were light on clerics the shm/dru and maybe even pally/bst could focus on healing and be more on par with a cleric

The vah/main quest/seeker could be tied into the tier system and is inherited by the reroll or continued after a brief resuming quest.

Expand the 6/12 man raids in the lower and mid tiers so the new zones/adept raids lead naturally to lvl 65 content

Things like gate necks/faction/keys/flags/clickies need to be streamlined or inherited so you don't have to endlessly farm them/have massive bottlenecks

Lots of other things to make this work better but this would be infinitely more interesting than endlessly farming cash/tome exp in the same 1-2 zones, i would say unlocking new exp or experimental(nadox like) zones tied to the raid tiers would also be fun and incentivize players with quest or better exp/money rewards to take on the harder content, could be where the new 6 mans are as well

darksabbath likes this.
  4. daenar_sod

daenar_sod Dalayan Elder

Just checking, has the topic of turning most t1-6 raid zones into LDoNs been brought up? i'm not sure how feasible it would be with current time and personnel constraints on the staff side of things.

darksabbath likes this.
  5. Rarok

Rarok Dalayan Adventurer

The content is fun... level 1 - 65 is a blast. It is especially fun if you have people to play with.

AngryCow likes this.
  6. Gargate

Gargate Dalayan Elder

Hmm someone that was banned for a reason should be allowed back?

If you actually follow what they say you would have to regrind back through all the levels, gear, aa's and tomes...... As someone with a 65 500+ aa's 70 tomes, a supreme and a vah back the thought of regrinding any of that list doesn't sound fun at all, and make no mistake the client is limited and would require with 99% certainty have to re-grind through it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:34 AM
  7. Gargate

Gargate Dalayan Elder

LOL cless the guy who would go around attacking anyone who disagreed with Tao and Tao having to tell you to back off, that you didn't speak for him or the staff and really had no place doing it.

Man the lines of made up BS from you, bro post history is visible from even years ago, and our conversation was me telling you "I'm probably not the best one for you to ask after all the times you attacked me on the forums". Someone's butthurt but it ain't me, laughed at it and moved on you say? So you didn't reply angry and butthurt to me?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:05 AM
  8. Gargate

Gargate Dalayan Elder

Okay.... I don't think you read what you type, you blatantly insulted the dev's repeatedly and when you get called out on something you change what you say. You have to think in the realm of reality, what the client can actually do and what the dev's can actually do and try and remember they are human beings with full time job's, a personal life, their own gaming time (here or other games) and those demands from someone who hasn't even played since 2011.

Again low tier content is boring, adepts are okay but most raid tier's are meh. Again having to restart, re-farm AA's, tomes, charms, gear, vah backs and so on. Restarting that stuff would vanish and have to be refarmed. The majority is actually important to the end game but you wouldn't know that or the time it takes to actually get there.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:38 AM
  9. Animand

Animand Dalayan Elder

Everyone here can see how you’re still dumb and have grudges. The fact that you’re still spreading stupidity is why you’re getting made fun of, not mess from years ago. It’s not that we’re angry or butthurt, but watching a kid who forgot his helmet yelling at normal kids who don’t need to wear them tends to cause a response. The fact you logically take a header down some stairs regularly while doing so just also tends to cause mockery towards you. This also isn’t anger, but a community response like a warning newcomers about and commiserating with regulars about the crazy guy who keeps acting out in your rental building. It builds community and protects the new from false expectations.

Of course, since you’re the lunatic, we’re gonna just keep mocking you whenever you spout lunacy. We ain’t mad, but some of us don’t want to move back in with you still around and feel new tenants ought to be forewarned. I’m sure you think we’re mad, but you’re not important enough for that. We remember the good old days, see that crazy guy is still around, and laugh with each other over old, shared memories. We toss in a few mocks where y’all can see them and go about our day with our nostalgia high.

Enjoy your game, bro. Bud, I, and many others are having a fine time without you. I’m just dropping by to see my buddies and maybe box something for them or play an alt and chat. Posts like these are just community service and their own nostalgia.

Hey guys, remember that time Gargate posted something silly and no one agreed with him, so he got all butthurt and replied to every post even though everyone disagreed with him? Oh, he’s still doing that? Ah, some things never change. Good times, good times. Well, back to slaying dragons and what is good in life.

10. Gargate

Gargate Dalayan Elder

Cless if thats what you have to say to feel better about yourself.

Cless the guy who was only in guilds because he tagged along with Tao, the guy who while never being on staff would try and police irc, the forums and ooc when Tao was an admin. The guy who would attack people if they critiqued anything Tao did or game changes he made.

Our "conversation" was you probably doing a /who all, looking for names you remembered and more than likely forgot how much of a nutter you were towards me while repeatedly attacking me (much like now). You asked me how the raid game was and trying to get back into it and if our guild was recruiting. I replied "I'm probably not the best person for you to ask after all the times you attacked me on the forums". You then got butthurt. Shocking that a person wouldn't want to chat with you after your history of personal attacks much like right now.

As far as people on here giving me shit? Look at the most common ones, notice a pattern and that its mostly the same toxic circle jerk group with a couple of outliers like severien whos post history is all the same going back years fairly hostile in almost every post, same with a few others whos almost entire post history is just attacking people and nothing constructive.

Funnily enough some of the people that give me shit on the forums actually chat in-game or try to.

As far as people never agreeing , yep we'll just have to ignore the likes and times where people (even ppl that give me shit) state I made good points or agree with me.

Cless if you dont have anything to say other than attacking people maybe think about moving on.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 12:41 PM
  11. Tevinter

Tevinter Dalayan Pious Diety

plenty of banned people have been allowed back and this server has had a history of pretty questionable banning/jailings throughout the years.

i'd regrind all the shit i've done on lowako in a heartbeat if it came with a server reset. having no reason to play my character outside of raids is pretty lame. having no way to progress my character outside of raids is pretty lame. having to farm 6-mans or raids that are trivial to my guild (fae queen, rohk, abyss, badlands frog, "t13" giant in the ocean) because they still drop upgrades isn't fun. logging in to raid/betatest a zone that drops loot that rots the very first time it drops and is such an unpleasant raiding experience that it literally brought back my clinical depression in full force is about as fun as it sounds.

this game is fun when you have a ton of shit to do to improve and progress your character. when all of your friends are excited to play because almost anything they can do will be a meaningful improvement to their main. jerking off on a mountain of tomes w/ a supreme and a "complete" character is when the game starts to lose a lot of its luster.

Masuriya and Whopperfoo like this.
  12. Ludovician

Ludovician Dalayan Elder

Not for nothing but most top end players in top end guilds all say they'd re-grind everything if the server gets reset, but you could maybe make an alt and not skip him right to tier 12 by piggy backing him into guild raids... that'd be the same thing, right?

Gargate likes this.
  13. Otcho

Otcho Dalayan Pious Diety

shitting on tarutao was a time honored tradition and many people made critiques both fair and heinously unfair and got away with it.
    having been guilded with these two numerous times I can say its rather hilarious to see a lot of the bullshit that went on against him and many other members of the staff for no good reason other than seemingly petty ingame drama.

I didn't actually want to make any post here just wanted to say hi to budrick and cless again since its been an entire week since last contact on the forums. say hi to taru 4 me

14. Gargate

Gargate Dalayan Elder

Shrug, my point was though w/e his reason didn't change the fact he would post and /ooc things exactly like what he did here. Very hostile personal attacks and then was surprised I didn't want to chat with him.... I mean really if the only interaction you have with someone is like what you see above who would give it another go around?

Sadly there's far too many people in this community who believe using personal attacks and hostility is actual discourse. Funnily enough for all the insults directed at me I personally manage a team that various in size of 15 to 17 people through out the year in my company and run a side business. Something this server could use is less hostility and drama, I would say that alone drove more players away than anything.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 2:58 AM
    Snake likes this.
  15. Snake

Snake Dalayan Elder

I agree. There is way to much going for the man, instead of going for the ball around here. I have reported many many posts, to be deleted, cause they are purely personal attacks, and contains no value for the subject of the post, what so ever.
    Rarely do they get deleted though.

16. iBluNT

iBluNT Dalayan Elder

Not even close? Server gets reset; everyone's back to square one and don't have a choice on whether or not to bring in ringers. Current day, you'd have to convince 17 other people to go back and start new characters to raid tier 1 and up. I'm not saying it's impossible but you'd get hit with many people asking, why?

I haven't read half of this thread except for Cless and Bud tbh simply because I got a chuckle out of it.

The problem with this server is simple; there's too much of a hurdle in a top-heavy environment. Create new pathways to get good:

- Players should start out with a few slots of bounty style gear from the tutorial with shit stats and a few aug slots specific to the quest line. There should be 3 different bounty systems, one starting at lower levels similar to Starfall/Thurgadin quests but broadened on a token system to Thurgadin bounties. Around level 20 these should start on a much lower cost rate than current Thurg augs, with the points allowed to be traded up to Thurgadin. Thurgadin aug cost rates should also be lowered. Having to do all of the dailies, every day, for an entire month just to fill 1 piece of gear is a joke. Thurgadin would cover levels 50-65. There should also be an Ikisith bounty for 65+ with some pretty good stuff. For this rank I'm not talking a full scale upgrade of every aug type. Maybe just upgrade a few augs since there aren't that many Ikisith zones capable of filling with dailies.

- Furthermore off this topic; make relics, ancients, archaics more accessible by either being sold for bounty tokens, or drop rates off bosses increased (which goes onto my next topic). On this same note, why did Kurtail stop dropping Runic frags? Why not just increase the difficulty if it was too easy to get Runics from a single mob without touching Spires? Seems absurdly backwards.

- Revamp old tiered zones into dungeons or 12-mans after considering revamping the gear as well. There's BoEs that make most tier 1-7 loot obsolete.

- Make every raid zone give better EXP, as well as make every boss give a "big encounter" exp bonus. First kill bonus being somewhere around 400k, and each consecutive kill after give like 100-150k. There's no reason we should be killing t14 bosses and getting a 15k exp hit?

Ya all this stuff takes a lot of time and effort, but I have offered to help. Nobody should disagree with me because this is the solution :tm:.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019 at 10:42 AM
  17. Duke

Duke Dalayan Beginner

Just something I've noticed over the past 2 years. New adepts came out, and everyone and their mother stopped everything just to see this new content. New guilds were formed, at least a hundred new characters made (multiple from the same people, don't read too hard into that), and the new content was being explored. Thats... still kinda going on from what I've seen.

I believe if more, new and exciting content came out around t1-9, with something unique tied to it like how adepts are, that could give way to a new group of people progressing through those tiers.

Gargate and iBluNT like this.
  18. iBluNT

iBluNT Dalayan Elder

Guilty of this myself - when the new adepts came out I was consumed by it pretty much since new content is always great regardless of level or tier. Ultimately stopped raiding and played adept toons for a solid 3-4 months on a non-stop basis until folks fizzled out, but I still see plenty of new people with the same mentality. Especially when the new adept gear is worth a shit.