Back in my day.

Nebi

Dalayan Pious Diety
Please post your reply by starting " back in my day " ....

Back in my day you would be jailed if you mentioned Chuck Norris in any public channel.

Back in my day noone mained a wizard because people were silly and deemed them bad dps.

Back in my day...

We had to rely on manually coordinated "group linking" instead of raids using the raid window. If you did things out of order (groups had to be fully formed before linking iirc) or too many people took the initiative, you had to start all over. Swapping group members wasn't pretty either.

The whole server stalled for two or three minutes at a certain time every night during late NA raid hours while the server made an automatic backup.

There were no paladins. No one realized you could use AE blind to tank multiple things at once, and it would have been suicide anyway. They were given self heals, group hots, crits and group undead crit immunity bypass as buffs before AE tanking became a thing.

Raids were 32-man and frequently had 5 or 6 cleric CH chains (almost all boxed).

Relic spells were tradeable, random raid boss drops.

Newport was the zone everyone hung out at. High-level casters would make announcements and gather whoever was around into linked groups for mass permanent buffs (just don't die!)

Pretty much everything was buggy in some way. Every dodge healing the dodger by 1, parry by 2, riposte by 3, rune/dr absorbed by 4, and invul by 5 was the first bug I spotted before I knew anything at all about programming. (the client uses -1, -2, -3, -4 and -5 damage as codes for which evasion message to use; the server's "apply damage" code wasn't checking for > 0)

Wiz made threads to tell everyone how they were wrong to doubt [new feature x, especially bind-on-equip and 18-man raids (they'll kill raiding for the max 3 guilds the server could simultaneously sustain guys)] and banned Breaker (ruin main tank/leader guy) for arguing with him after we triggered and spent a night learning to beat a fight in harder velious giant zone (one of the hardest raid zones at the time, other than inner prison which only Forsaken had managed to break into at that point) that apparently wasn't intended to be active and had no loot. (Breaker's tank char eventually went on to get a race change from ogre to barbarian and spent its remaining time as the village bicycle of ringer tanks)

Zhak set the template for "sneering asshole playing a monk" before there were explicit rules against stalking raids or any consistent definition of when a guild has "claim" to a mob.

Vargh(?)/Mortimer (ruin #3-ish guy) took an absurdly frowny-face pessimistic attitude to every change and to playing the game in general (he rarely missed a raid and always boxed), beating everyone else to the punch by years and being a living parody at the same time.

I made a ranger named Midori ("green") and was name nerfed within 20 minutes. Must've been a japanophile among the gms back then.

I was hit on in /tells by more guys than was at all reasonable (i.e. 0), especially considering that i'm a robot with no personality, and there were no girls on the internet at the time. Including this one guy who tried to convince me that he was a small time drug dealer playing on an emulated EQ server from a ratty New York project apartment. Yeah.

This took too long to write...

Last edited:
Back in my day...

Vagpounder was alive and well.

You bought your twink items from Felyn.

Eustace was the guy everyone hated.

I played a lot more than I do now.

back in my day wiz would hold an event where you could request something from "Santa" and if it wasn't outlandish Santa would comply. If it was then you would be given "loading please wait......"

Back in my day, the warrior class was played the correct way: Turn auto attack on and /afk.
Back in my day I did this while tanking in a corner and staring at the floor. If I looked up, my dialup internet would lag hard the rest of the fight and I'd die to the enrage.

The only exception was the 45 minute Xegony fight, in which I got to stare up her skirt since the rest of the raid was running around frantically doing other shit.

Wiz made threads to tell everyone how they were wrong to doubt [new feature x, especially bind-on-equip and 18-man raids (they'll kill raiding for the max 3 guilds the server could simultaneously sustain guys)] and banned Breaker (ruin main tank/leader guy) for arguing with him after we triggered and spent a night learning to beat a fight in harder velious giant zone (one of the hardest raid zones at the time, other than inner prison which only Forsaken had managed to break into at that point) that apparently wasn't intended to be active and had no loot. (Breaker's tank char eventually went on to get a race change from ogre to barbarian and spent its remaining time as the village bicycle of ringer tanks)

Zhak set the template for "sneering asshole playing a monk" before there were explicit rules against stalking raids or any consistent definition of when a guild has "claim" to a mob.

Vargh(?)/Mortimer (ruin #3-ish guy) took an absurdly frowny-face pessimistic attitude to every change and to playing the game in general (he rarely missed a raid and always boxed), beating everyone else to the punch by years and being a living parody at the same time.
QUOTE]

This is about where I stopped trying to raid and play because of those issues. I came back for a while with a couple friends and had tons of fun but didn't raid any further. I helped build ruin and watched I run down the drain before my eyes

back in my day we did all this with the spells and fighting and questing with a pencil and some paper, maybe dice until we lost them.

Back
Top Bottom