Bards

Emerica

Dalayan Elder
I cant find this anywhere, and its been something Ive been curious about. What is the reasoning to have bards not be able to move while using any kind of spell/click, and not just spells?
I always liked that feature on live and at a loss for what imbalance it would cause. From a story and lore stance, bards are musicans on the run.

**Edited to reflect questions by Zae**

Few contradictory arguments:

1. Are clickies so important to Bards in particular that it would even be worth bothering to change?

2. Is reasoning because it was like this on Live or because this is a major part of being a Bard?

Hi Zaela,
I'll touch base on those first points you had. My question was directed towards a generalization and not a 'lets compare this to live' game. I was personally curious because I thought that aspect was fun, and set them apart from being the only class able to do that. Since I cannot really speak for other bards, I feel like they(clickies) are important to every class, bards included.

To answer that choice of two unpleasant alternatives, I would have to say no on the attacking. First because this post was not intended to give bards more power, I think with recent times they are great. The main reason I say no towards attacking while doing this would be directly related towards what Shimone mentioned earlier. While channeling a spell I dont think they would be able to focus enough to attack, and still pull off a spell (which bards are not the best at).
You have a valid point regarding moving attacking, and spell casting all being very noteworthy bard activities; however, given that they lack being great spell casters and are a little bit awesome at everything, more concentration would be required to utilize these items with spells beyond thier reach. Thus having them attack, move, and use a clicky, would have been dampened down towards just moving and focusing on the inscribed spell (clicky).

Last edited:
I cant find this anywhere, and its been something Ive been curious about. What is the reasoning to have bards not be able to move while using any kind of spell/click, and not just spells?
Counter-question: why should this be any different for bards then for every other class in the game?

I believe it is because clickies are not songs they are spells. If an item has a click effect that is a song then it can be cast while running but if the effect is a spell then one must stand still.

Personally I think it is the way it should be if you think about it anyone can sing and move while casting a spell even channeled through an item would take more concentration.

Counter-question: why should this be any different for bards then for every other class in the game?
Because bards can already cast every single spell while moving, being part of what they do it seemed to make sense to ask it from a standpoint of a bard, and not really another class.

I saw/thought of the ghetto fd thing, but that seems more like a waste of time than an anvantage rorne, at least from my perspective.
Thanks for the imput shimone that makes more sense than what other people have said so far.

Few contradictory arguments:

1. Are clickies so important to Bards in particular that it would even be worth bothering to change?

2. Is reasoning because it was like this on Live or because this is a major part of being a Bard?

a) In the first case I ask because the first post more or less seems to be asking why was it changed from the way it was on Live? But that question would be kind of backwards: in all likelihood, in our codebase, it has always been the way it is now. So, there probably wouldn't be any deliberate reasoning for it being this way rather than the other way. Perhaps whoever wrote the SpellProcess() function for EQEmu 8 or so years ago simply didn't realize Bards could do that. In any case, "why isn't it like Live" never goes far as an argument so we can just skip to the next one:

b) In the second case, I notice you mention moving, but why not attacking? It seems to me that attacking while casting is at least as important and peculiar to Bards as moving while casting. Of course, then comes the inevitable Morton's fork: if you agree that they should be able to both move and attack while using clickies--since both are major parts of being a Bard--then I'd say that that would clearly be an increase to the power of Bards compared to the way things now and I'd be wary to make this addition without a more thorough argument in favor of it. But if you say no, they should be able to move while using clickies, but not attack, I'd ask you, why not both? I don't think it can be doubted that both moving and attacking while casting are major Bard things, so based on the reasoning thus far it wouldn't make sense to include moving but not attacking. So in that case, I'd be wary of making a change based on an argument that seems flawed, and would wait for a more thorough argument which explains why moving is good but attacking is not (without falling back on "that's how it was on Live," of course!)

The hands are busy using the item Zaela so the bard cannot attack of course! The feet are free to frolic and skip about as they please. As for why bards are the only class to have this particular skill...We are used to always being on the move so over time learned to use items on the go as well, this ability could be added to an AA like Jayla's Insight for the aforementioned lore reason. :)

What would this even be useful for that wouldn't be an unfair benefit over other classes?

What would this even be useful for that wouldn't be an unfair benefit over other classes?

To address this concern as well as Eisley's:
1. Could figure out a way to make that succor had not count, if this is a legitimate issue that would cause bards to have an advantage by using this.

2. Looking at benefits, assuming the other classes can get said clicky's there would be none. It would become something of a chat regarding what class benefits would be. For example Druids and Wizards can port around quicker, bards can cast things on the run etc.

I lost you somewhere between you saying FD for a bard is a waste of time and you wanting to buff your class for no reason other then it sounds "fun"

On the second note, I would say yes this is a major "fun" aspect of being a bard, granted the only comparison I have is from what I experienced on live as one. Since my playtime here I have adjusted the use without this, and was curious what/why it was different. You answered my question very clearly with the code situation. That makes sense.

I think bards already get enough "fun" aspects that other classes don't. Insane move speed, insane group buffs so you get a group instantly, free faction (wish this would get removed), crazy DPS, etc...

IMO, bards are the most "fun" class in the game already and imbalanced in many ways... lets make other classes more fun first.

solution: take away all bard clickies and let them do whatever while they cast. Would solve all the problems that everybody's bringing up.

Yes, I'm serious.

there's nothing wrong with the way things work now.

lets let the devs work on more important things.

thread over.

there's nothing wrong with the way things work now.

lets let the devs work on more important things.

thread over.

Patch notes on everything done not just big things would be a step in the right direction. Or must we "explore the world" to find things out?

But on a serious note why do people who dont play even comment on a ledgitment thread? What are you trying to prove? Let them man speak to the dev about what he feels is a class balancing thread. But more so directed at bards Gear set

when devs disagree with the OP, the purpose of the thread is to show that there is popular support, not get the worthless opinion of a dev who is divorced from reality

when players disagree with the OP, the purpose of the thread is to get the direct opinion of the devs, not the players who are all haters and dont really play anyway

what happens when no one agrees with the OP

Back
Top Bottom