Crash after server select

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haisei

Dalayan Beginner
Well, what's happening is EQ is crashing after I click 'Play' on the server select page. I've tried deleting, repatching all, deleting more, repatching again, checking lines, repairing and basically all other suggestions made by people on this forum to no avail.

Here's the last couple of lines from dbg.txt, the Error 5e part is always the same after every crash.

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:05 2005]00043:WorldAuthenticate. I got a message of type 196...

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:05 2005]00044:WorldAuthenticate. Access granted.

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:05 2005]00045:wait_message(), (g_rdp=0x0259be48, g_world=0x03988548) before receive

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:12 2005]00046:wait_message(), after receive, msg is 0x03aaeb48

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:12 2005]00047:wait_message is returning: msgptr = 0x03aaeb48

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:12 2005]00048:ERROR: Unexpected message: 5e

[Thu Sep 29 17:03:12 2005]00049:GetPlayerName. returning character_selected = 0

Any new suggestions for this old problem? :?

I am getting the same thing here on 2 different computers i havn't changed a thing since the last time i played. no new programs. hope we get some type of reply?

Yea...this has only happened twice to me. The one that's currently happening now and one quite some time ago.

The only solution is to just keep opening up EQ after each crash and connecting again, eventually it does start loading and I have no problems after that (except when I have to close EQ or go back to server select lol).

Server Error return

Happening to me too. Before and after latest patch.

The error suggests that it is a server side problem. I've tried connecting using a new account and get the same error.

Only thing to do is keep retrying as has been suggested. Personally, I find that after the tenth or so eqgame.exe error I tend to leave it until tomorrow

I will try connecting after ten minutes has passed and see if it is a timing issue.

The error message is the same as the first post, albeit that the checksum or whatever the gibberish codeing is, is different ( as you would expect ).

Happy to post dbg log file lists if techies want it.

Re: Server Error return

Nisul said:
Only thing to do is keep retrying as has been suggested. Personally, I find that after the tenth or so eqgame.exe error I tend to leave it until tomorrow

That's all i've been doing for the past 6 day...try to load it but it ends up crashing after the server selection screen. I've tried everything, searched the entire forum and went through all the "possible" solutions and none of them seem to work... so WE NEED a new solution. :eek:

Heh, what I do is just open up EQ many times and as each one crashes I just press enter on one error message and another EQ pops up. :)

No real viable solution though. One person has formatted and reinstalled EQ and still got it. It would be nice to know what the error is related to.

Update

Well, I seem to have no problem getting into SoD during daylight hours. It's Fri 7th Oct 11:39am local (GMT+12).

Every time I get the error stated in the first post, seems to be after 9ishpm at night.

Since the returned message ID in the log differs from the sent message ID, I'm picking a server side problem here.

Zyman, you could try logging into SoD at a different time, to test the hypothesis.

It's a long shot I know, but lacking other solutions, I'm thinking that if it is a timing issue with the SoD server, it's possibly related to a router or buffer overflow issue on the server side.

Worth a shot.

You know, I really liked this game the one time I was able to log in and play. All the other times (about 100) I get this error. Anyone find anything out as to how to avoid this error?

It does seem to happen more at night than in the day. I was able to connect after just a few trys several times today, but now (11:35 p.m. CST) I can't connect at all... after 10+ trys :(

I hope this helps anyone else thats having this problem, I finnaly solved the crashing after server select by uninstalling and reinstalling the .net framework... reason I did this is cuz at MS website it says to use internet explorer when installing framework and I used mozillia... dont know if it had anything to do with it really... but it works now :)

Ive been having a similar problem. Before I moved I never used to have a problems at all, but ever since I moved which was about a month ago, I can't seem to connect to the server. I don't know if its just my connection or what, but usually after selecting the server the game either; completely crashes and a windows error box pops up, says i need to rerun the patcher, or starts up again with the eula. I am not exactly sure how to fix this but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Same problem has just started occuring with me , I had lagged out earlier and now cant seem to A) connect or B) Launch the client.

I assume it is serverside as their has been a slight (But noticible) delay in patching ,ect.

however this hasnt happened until now =(

yup, sign me up for this error as well

[Mon Oct 17 18:34:26 2005]00051:ERROR: Unexpected message: 5e

just began happening today

Well for me it seems to have died down , i think it was majorly a issue with connecting to the server , not launching the game (Latency wise)

Same thing is happening to me,seems like after 3 pm (yestarday and today after server reboots GMT - 3:00) i cannot log in again.Quite annoying thing ;(

This bug is really the only downside to SoD... Makes it kind of absolete, really, unless you wanna sit there 2 hours trying to connect. I have a tight schedule studying and such, so taking breaks with SoD is out of the picture... Some help from anyone who understands computer stuff would be very appreciated :p maybe even a PM saying that this is only happening cause i haven't donated... :?

misin said:
This bug is really the only downside to SoD... Makes it kind of absolete, really, unless you wanna sit there 2 hours trying to connect. I have a tight schedule studying and such, so taking breaks with SoD is out of the picture... Some help from anyone who understands computer stuff would be very appreciated :p maybe even a PM saying that this is only happening cause i haven't donated... :?

It's a tech bug... not a downside... and sure as hell doesnt make the game obsolete....

Join the IRC channel and give a little blurb about your problem... most things are so common they have a system and there are generally people around to lend a hand. Just DO NOT join, say something, then get impatient after 30 seconds from lack of response and leave... people don't dedicate their lives to answering tech problems.

Ok. Things are going much smoother now.

I am using a dial-up connection. I dont know about the rest of the world, but in Egypt there are a few different companies that advertise their numbers. I've found that some numbers almost always work and others never work. If people with DSL also have this server select crash problem please reply. This is still just my theory

Bah, I go on vacation for a week and now I'm back to having this error. I noticed alot more posts in this thread and I noticed only 69 people on the last time I tried to login... maybe it's getting to be a wider spread problem now? Hopefully we can find out how to fix this soon.

misin said:
Ok. Things are going much smoother now.

I am using a dial-up connection. I dont know about the rest of the world, but in Egypt there are a few different companies that advertise their numbers. I've found that some numbers almost always work and others never work. If people with DSL also have this server select crash problem please reply. This is still just my theory

I have this on and off
Think it has something to do with connectivity to the server. I would say it's the same as the zone crash bug as well.
Might be the same thingand if you unplug and reconnect your connection (on cable), instead of going back to normal you get booted to server select. An anti-exploit thing imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom