Crash after server select

Status
Not open for further replies.
You remember correctly homogenn. I can get to the server select screen fine, but after I hit enter world it loads for about 15-25 seconds then either crashes and gives me an eqerror, or it boots me back to the screen that comes right after the eula. I tried the suggestion you said about disabling all programs, that didnt help. I dont have any P2P software running. I have no viruses or spyware. I run no other programs other than EQ. The only UI I use is the regular UI, no fancy custom UI's. I have tried unchecking the read only button on my EQ folder but everytime I do and I click properties again after I load up the game it is always clicked as read-only so it seems that something isnt working with that solution.

Like I said before I am pretty sure that this is a server side issue with bad connections. I might be wrong, but I believe this because I can play on my laptop fine when I'm at home connected either directly to the router or on wireless, however, when I am at school (playing on the exact same computer, just different connection) I can't play, atleast not consistently. I can usually get on for an hour or two before peak hours at my school but otherwise thats it. I know its not a problem with the ports being open or not because I have played from school before, just not very successfully, especially during peak hours.

Anyways, Im not really sure what else could be causing this issue. The only logical thing to me would be the server's timeout procedure. It seems that I am timing out before the server is recognizing me due to my slow connection and it is just treating it like I am going link dead so it just disconnects me instead of trying to maintain the connection. Again, this only makes sense because I can play fine ON THE SAME COMPUTER when I am at home (NOT AT SCHOOL) on a better connection (100 mbps vs about 56k).

Thanks again for all your help guys. This is looking more and more like it wont be resolved any time soon. I can only hope, but atleast I am only in residence for another month or so.

Thanks again, Jinxat.

If you run Windows XP, it always has the read only button lightly checked, that's normal. Doesn't mean that it IS read only though. As long as you UNCHECK it once and apply that to all the files and folders you're fine in that respect.

On a side note I did fine this problem related to a patch "The Company" did back around the time everyone started having problems. It must be something they changed on live, because this error is all over the EQEmu forums. A *bunch* of people (not all but most) reported that the only work around they've found is by running EQ under Windows 2000 instead of Windows XP. Not sure if its something about WinXP + EQLive Patch that causes the issue, but it seems EQLive people have no problem. Not sure if anyone can provide info to see if everyone who has this problem is running WinXP ... or if there are some people who still run Win2K and have this problem.

Im running windows XP. But like I said I can connect at home easily. Im not sure if I can get a copy of win 2k to run on here, but atleast I have an option maybe to test out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom