Crash while zoning

Dinadass

Dalayan Pious Diety
Hey all, just saw SoD a few days ago and figured I'd give it a shot for old time's sake. I've been playing for a couple days now and been having a blast, however I have one problem that is getting really annoying. Almost every single time I zone, my game locks up and I have to alt+f4 to end it and restart the client. Once I'm actually in a zone I'm able to play without issue, however if I die, gate, or run to an adjacent zone, it usually means I have to restart the client in order to continue. This happens whether or not I'm playing with EQ Windows.

Any suggestions?

i have the same problems sometimes. my problem was it seemed like it froze, but really it just takes forever to load sometimes. i left it to zone once (cause i thought it froze again) and went to get some food and drink, came back and eventually it zoned in for me. seems faster to alt +f4 and relog though.

my 2cp

Bumping this because it is still happening, and I really can't stand having to restart the client and spend 5-10 minutes every time I need to zone.

Several people in-game pointed out that my antivirus software might be the cause, but I've tried playing with it turned off and still had the same issue. Does anyone else have any suggestions? They would really be appreciated.

Do you have zone caching on? This messes up some systems.

Also if you are in vista make sure you are starting eqgame inc ompatability mode and administrator. This solves zoning issues for me.

Bumping an old thread here because I have this problem too. Tried searching and came across this thread so hoped someone might be able to help.

I tried looking for that zone caching option, but I couldn't see it anywhere in the options menu, either in game or from the main menu.

Zone caching is done in options before you log in. Thats about all I can help with on this one =(

I have this problem only when the server is busy. When ever there is more than 250 people on the server my zoning is sluggish. After 350 people it's nearly impossible. During this time logging in can also be difficult because I get a lot of 1017 errors.
I have tried a lot of different things like zoning one character at a time, but I am a porting class and I almost always get disconnected. I don't believe it is a long loading thing because if I wait long enough (like 10 mins) it eventually goes to the server select screen.
So, I have just learned to live with it. If you are having similar problems (and I have talked to many others that are) rest assured that the problem isn't with your computer and there really isn't anything for you to do.

Zone caching is done in options before you log in. Thats about all I can help with on this one =(

Do you mean when you first load up the game and there is the:
CONNECT
ACCOUNT
CREDITS
OPTIONS
EXIT

If so, I tried that options menu and the only options seem to be graphical ones. First page sets up the character model options, and then the second page has Dynamic Lighting, Texture Caching, etc, but no mention of Zone Caching :(

I have this problem only when the server is busy. When ever there is more than 250 people on the server my zoning is sluggish. After 350 people it's nearly impossible. During this time logging in can also be difficult because I get a lot of 1017 errors.
I have tried a lot of different things like zoning one character at a time, but I am a porting class and I almost always get disconnected. I don't believe it is a long loading thing because if I wait long enough (like 10 mins) it eventually goes to the server select screen.
So, I have just learned to live with it. If you are having similar problems (and I have talked to many others that are) rest assured that the problem isn't with your computer and there really isn't anything for you to do.

I never get an error message, but it's the same for me in that 9 out of 10 times I cross a zone, it just freezes for about 7 minutes or something, and then goes back to the server select screen. I worked out that it's quicker to just exit the client and restart again. But this is a real pain every time I zone. It turns what should be a 10 minute journey through a few zones, into a half hour journey :(

Ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla at. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum. Volutpat diam ut venenatis tellus in metus vulputate eu. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus. Non arcu risus quis varius quam quisque id diam vel.

Last edited:
Try texture caching...

I'll have to try that tomorrow. I didn't think it would be that because the tooltip help for Texture Caching mentions changing the graphics to improve graphics performance which I didn't think would have anything to do with zoning. Also, I used to play this game about a year ago on this same PC with the same install, so my settings haven't changed. So I'm guessing this issue must be something to do with the server and data transfer to/from it.

Ac tincidunt vitae semper quis lectus nulla at. Id semper risus in hendrerit gravida rutrum. Volutpat diam ut venenatis tellus in metus vulputate eu. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus. Non arcu risus quis varius quam quisque id diam vel.

Last edited:
I tried turning it off and it still happens unfortunately :/

Also, I have tried on two PC's and I get the same problem on both btw. Although both PC's had the game installed a long time ago so it might be corrupt/out of date now on both PC's.

It has a lot to do with zoning. Texture caching is a system through which normally fragmented texture data is aggregated into world, object & character cache files. On subsequent visits to a zone for which a cache has been built, the zoning process increases efficiency by relying on the world/obj/chr cache files. I believe this is why the above are referring to it as "zone caching".

It's theoretically possible that you have corrupt, SoD obsolete (from a year ago, right?), or Live (if you play it) caches in there which are preventing the client from loading the zone correctly. You can try turning off texture caching, and you can also try deleting *.txc from the EQ folder to induce a rebuild of correct/current cache files (that may be the optimal solution).

Your problem still might be something else entirely, but I'd mess with caching first.

If I delete those files, how do I make it repatch? I run the game from EQW so will it automatically find them missing and then repatch for me? Or do I have to repatch some other way? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help emachine74, I've got the latest patcher but I'm doing the repatch all option now. I'll leave it going over night and I'll report back tomorrow.

I also tried turning texture caching off because I had mine on and it made things worse. I every time I ported both characters around, one would go LD. This was on a Sunday afternoon and the server was busy (around 350 people). I have a very fast computer with 4GB of RAM and I don't believe it could be the problem. If anyone else has some ideas I would love to try them.
Thanks

edit to add population number

Back
Top Bottom